QC - Island of Montreal (Central areas) & Nuns' Island - OTA - Page 71 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1051 of 1054 (permalink) Old 2018-08-07, 05:28 PM
Rookie

I'm crossing my fingers that someone is watching this thread. This is my first post. https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/241...very-lost.html

I am on Clark St. near Mont Royal avenue. I have a fifth floor apartment facing the mountain (SW).

I currently have a Bell Satellite dish attached to my balcony. I want to switch to using an antenna indoors or outdoors.

I was going to buy the HDBunny until I read about it in the Wacky thread.

I would be willing to try to put together my own antenna but I suspect I don't know enough so buying is probably best. But what should I buy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1054 (permalink) Old 2018-08-07, 08:08 PM
Rookie

I checked the antenna chart but it seems badly out-dated. The ones I checked were discontinued. I couldn't see anything similar.

This was my first introductory post https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/241...ml#post3060117

This is my TV Fool by latitude and longitude
TV Fool

I'd really like to get some of the stations in the yellow zone if possible. FM radio would also be nice. If I can only get green I will settle.

My apartment is on the fifth floor facing the mountain, (Clark/Mont Royal)

From what I have been reading it is better for me to have an indoor antenna which I don't understand, but don't need to.

I am finding choosing an antenna really difficult.
post #1053 of 1054 (permalink) Old 2018-08-08, 09:04 AM
Rookie

FWIW, I used to live at Coloniale and Prince Arthur and had a ChannelMaster 4228 installed on my 3rd story roof by none other than Mario Trottier of HDBunny fame (this was before he decided to rip people off selling his piece of junk antennas). He had to spend a substantial amount of time aiming the antenna to get anything from Vermont, but eventually, PBS and NBC were solid pretty much 24-7, with CBS coming in about 2/3 of the time and Fox once in a blue moon. All of that to say it is possible to get some of the stations at the top of the yellow range in TvFool (especially since you're higher up than I was). The downside is that given how close you are to the Mount Royal transmitters, you can't really use any kind of amplification without overloading your tuner. Good luck!

post #1054 of 1054 (permalink) Old 2018-08-08, 10:45 AM
Rookie

Thank-you. Should I buy a ChannelMaster 4228? Can it be installed indoors or would I put it on my balcony?

Edited to add the following.

My important channels are 12, 15, 21, with antennas 1-3 miles from me.
and
20, 21, both at 78 miles

Is this an impossible group because of the difference between 1 mile and 78 miles?

Some antennas have an integrated amplifier. Would that risk blowing my tuner?

Antennas seem to range from about 20$ to 250$ Canadian. I even saw an FM radio antenna for 50$. I don't want to buy something cheap that won't work well but I would rather not spend 250$.

Last edited by Thea; 2018-08-08 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Adding information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in