ON - Kanata, Barrhaven, Nepean, West of Greenbelt - OTA - Page 115 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1711 of 1764 (permalink) Old 2017-07-10, 06:01 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1
WPBS engineering says a power supply failed in their WNPI ch. 18.1 transmitter and as a consequence the power drooped to 86% of normal. When a replacement power supply was installed they had to shut-down the TX, and then Murphy's Law came into effect and they had cooling issues so the actual shut-down (July 3 - 6) was longer than anticipated. They say TX power is now back to normal but my reception in Fallowfield village has dropped from usable to marginal. Anyone else still having marginal reception?
puffin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1712 of 1764 (permalink) Old 2017-11-14, 11:52 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kanata
Posts: 556
There will be another DHC OTA Members' Meet on Tuesday, 28th November 2017 at 7:30 pm in Lorenzo's Restaurant at 2201 Arch St, Ottawa

Full details can be found in the thread devoted to the Meets: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/81-o...ml#post2985202

Last edited by DXer; 2017-11-15 at 08:07 AM.
DXer is offline  
post #1713 of 1764 (permalink) Old 2018-04-12, 11:33 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1
Had it with Bell

Okay, So I'm spending $ 218 monthly for the "Better" Bell TV package, Home phone with long distance and internet at 25mbs capped at 350 Gigs per month. In my view, this is too expensive.

So I'm looking for alternatives and OTA is part of this plan. I currently have a Channel Master single bay Antenna on the roof (25 feet off the ground) in K1V area with a 10 db booster installed inside next to the receiver/tv. I removed my antenna's rear grill because it is the only way to get all local channels at close to 100%. Now I want US channels PBS and FOX and I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck getting a clear uninterrupted signal from those channels with a different antenna/setup in the Riverside South area.

Please help and thanks everyone for your feedback.
Analog_Mig is offline  
 
post #1714 of 1764 (permalink) Old 2018-04-12, 01:17 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Craig Henry (Greenbank/Hunt Club), Nepean, ON
Posts: 3,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog_Mig View Post
Okay, So I'm spending $ 218 monthly for the "Better" Bell TV package, Home phone with long distance and internet at 25mbs capped at 350 Gigs per month. In my view, this is too expensive.

So I'm looking for alternatives and OTA is part of this plan. I currently have a Channel Master single bay Antenna on the roof (25 feet off the ground) in K1V area with a 10 db booster installed inside next to the receiver/tv. I removed my antenna's rear grill because it is the only way to get all local channels at close to 100%. Now I want US channels PBS and FOX and I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck getting a clear uninterrupted signal from those channels with a different antenna/setup in the Riverside South area.

Please help and thanks everyone for your feedback.
Not sure what will help you in your situation. The K1V FSA is not only directly between Camp Fortune and Herberts Corners towers, the PBS/CBS/Fox tower in South Colton/Irish Settlement is directly behind the Herberts Corners Tower.

Since the received Noise Margin on CHCH on channel 22 is over 50dB, as is TVO on channel 24, getting PBS on channel 23 with a differential of over 50 dB will be nearly impossible. CBS/Fox on channel 18 has similar issues with CITY channel 17 from Herberts Corners. (Not quite as bad, since there is no Channel 19 interfering (yet)
tvlurker is offline  
post #1715 of 1764 (permalink) Old 2018-04-12, 02:54 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Posts: 6,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlurker View Post
Not sure what will help you in your situation. The K1V FSA is not only directly between Camp Fortune and Herberts Corners towers, the PBS/CBS/Fox tower in South Colton/Irish Settlement is directly behind the Herberts Corners Tower.

Since the received Noise Margin on CHCH on channel 22 is over 50dB, as is TVO on channel 24, getting PBS on channel 23 with a differential of over 50 dB will be nearly impossible. CBS/Fox on channel 18 has similar issues with CITY channel 17 from Herberts Corners. (Not quite as bad, since there is no Channel 19 interfering (yet)
I think we need a better TVFool report before drawing that conclusion. K1V is a very large area (from Herongate mall to Riverside South). Both alignment and elevation could change significantly, potentially making things significantly better (or worse).

Interestingly when I first ran a TVFool report for Analog_Mig, I didn't put in his antenna height and WNPI was reported as LOS with about a 10dB NM. When I put in the correct antenna height it dropped to 2 edge and under 0dB NM. This indicates to me that if he has better than average elevation, a taller tower might bring up WNPI's strength enough that it can compete with CHCH (I wouldn't worry about TVO as it is on the back side and an antenna with a high F/B ratio could attenuate it nicely), especially if he has more than the 1 degree separation the preliminary report indicates.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
roger1818 is offline  
post #1716 of 1764 (permalink) Old 2018-04-18, 08:56 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 3
Any issues with Tele-Quebec (30.1) since yesterday? I am in Kanata north and cannot get any signal anymore. Strangely enough, V (34.1) had a weak signal before but now is coming in strong.
jeffj78 is offline  
post #1717 of 1764 (permalink) Old 2018-04-18, 06:17 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffj78 View Post
Any issues with Tele-Quebec (30.1) since yesterday? I am in Kanata north and cannot get any signal anymore. Strangely enough, V (34.1) had a weak signal before but now is coming in strong.
Disregard it's back!
jeffj78 is offline  
post #1718 of 1764 (permalink) Old 2018-04-21, 09:16 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 3
Weird issue

Hi!

Just to clarify, I am new at this OTA thing and have basic knowledge. I ran into a confusing problem this morning I hope someone can clarify.

First my setup: I have the 1byone indoor 50 mile range thin antenna (model OUS00-0566) which has an adjustable amplifier (on/off). My house is wired all over and all the cables go to a box in my basement. I have three TVs, upstairs master bedroom, main floor living room and basement living room. The place where I get the best signal is in the window of the upstairs master bedroom.

What I did: Since I want the signal to go to all TVs, I put the antenna in the window of the upstairs master bedroom. Antenna cable goes to a splitter which goes to 1: the TV in the bedroom 2: to the cable outlet in the wall which goes to the basement. Once in the box downstairs, I split the signal in two: 1: to the TV downstairs 2: to the main floor living room TV.

What is happening: with the amplifier on and all TVs plugged in, I get all channels on all TVs with an SNR ranging between 24 and 32. This morning, I had to unplug the cable going to the master bedroom TV and now we only get 3 channels on the other TVs.

What I tried:
1: I plugged the upstairs TV back and all TVs had their signal back.
2: Master bedroom TV plugged straight into antenna. Amp on or off I get all my channels.
3: Antenna cable straight into master bedroom outlet (later split to feed the two other TVs). Amp on = 3 channels. Amp off = only 2 channels missing.

Any thoughts? Was I just lucky enough that splitting the signal in the master bedroom I ended up in the sweet spot for the signal to be strong enough but not too strong at the same time for all TVs?

Thanks!
jeffj78 is offline  
post #1719 of 1764 (permalink) Old 2018-10-11, 09:56 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Craig Henry, Ottawa, ON
Posts: 30
Anyone else in the Nepean area experiencing loss of WPBS (18-1 to 18-4)?

It was fine here up to just a few days ago; thereafter, every time we try, there's "no signal".

The WPBS website now has a notice:

"Attention:
"WNPI 18.1 is currently experiencing frequent outages due to a malfunctioning component. A replacement is being delivered and should be fixed tomorrow. Thank you for your patience."

but this seems to be restricted to 18-1, perhaps some sort of program feed problem, but no mention of loss of the other three sub-channels.

Will see tomorrow, but if anyone can confirm the absence of WPBS before then, that would be appreciated.
plain om is offline  
post #1720 of 1764 (permalink) Old 2018-10-12, 05:38 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Craig Henry, Ottawa, ON
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain om View Post
Anyone else in the Nepean area experiencing loss of WPBS (18-1 to 18-4)?

It was fine here up to just a few days ago; thereafter, every time we try, there's "no signal".

The WPBS website now has a notice:

"Attention:
"WNPI 18.1 is currently experiencing frequent outages due to a malfunctioning component. A replacement is being delivered and should be fixed tomorrow. Thank you for your patience."

but this seems to be restricted to 18-1, perhaps some sort of program feed problem, but no mention of loss of the other three sub-channels.

Will see tomorrow, but if anyone can confirm the absence of WPBS before then, that would be appreciated.
Still no signal from WPBS this afternoon.

The notice at the WPBS website has changed; it extends the correction to Monday:

"Attention:
"WNPI 18.1 is currently experiencing frequent outages due to a malfunctioning component. A replacement is being delivered and should by Monday October, 15th. Thank you for your patience."

I'm still puzzled as to whether this problem is the cause of "no signal" results here, or if others in the Nepean/Craig Henry area are still getting the other WPBS sub-channels. Should I be taking a closer look at the antenna system? It survived the tornado, and was working fine up to a few days ago. Moreover, all other local OTA stations are good, and, in the evenings, including last night, 28-1/Fox and 28-2/CBS have been good, so the antenna seems to be working for lower-level signals in that direction. @tvlurker ?
plain om is offline  
post #1721 of 1764 (permalink) Old 2018-10-13, 12:52 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 35
The funny thing is, I have a USB tuner attached to a Raspberry Pi and its guide (which is only updated by OTA EPG, and *not* a web resource) is up-to-date with WPNI's programming. So they must be broadcasting from time to time.
Ultra is offline  
post #1722 of 1764 (permalink) Old 2018-10-13, 05:53 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Craig Henry, Ottawa, ON
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
The funny thing is, I have a USB tuner attached to a Raspberry Pi and its guide (which is only updated by OTA EPG, and *not* a web resource) is up-to-date with WPNI's programming. So they must be broadcasting from time to time.
That's interesting. Might be consistent with the wording of the website notice, which is updated/corrected today:

"Attention:
"WNPI 18.1 is currently experiencing frequent outages due to a malfunctioning component. A replacement is being delivered and is expected to be installed Monday October, 15th. Thank you for your patience."

They do refer to "frequent outages" for 18-1 (only?) which suggests at other times 18-1 is functioning, but it's unclear if the reference to 18-1 is only that sub-channel programming, while the transmitters are otherwise still fully functional and programming is available on the other three, or if the transmitters are essentially down, or perhaps at low power leading to weak/no signal here.

My main reason for posting was to find out if others in my area are also experiencing no signal conditions (perhaps intermittently) on all four WBPS CH 18 program services.
plain om is offline  
post #1723 of 1764 (permalink) Old 2018-10-15, 10:14 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain om View Post
That's interesting. Might be consistent with the wording of the website notice, which is updated/corrected today:

My main reason for posting was to find out if others in my area are also experiencing no signal conditions (perhaps intermittently) on all four WBPS CH 18 program services.
I checked PBS this morning, and the main and all 3 subs are still down. CBS/Fox, which is also re-broadcast from South Colton, is coming in fine.
old sparks is offline  
post #1724 of 1764 (permalink) Old 2018-10-15, 11:51 AM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Craig Henry (Greenbank/Hunt Club), Nepean, ON
Posts: 3,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain om View Post
Still no signal from WPBS this afternoon.

...

I'm still puzzled as to whether this problem is the cause of "no signal" results here, or if others in the Nepean/Craig Henry area are still getting the other WPBS sub-channels.
... @tvlurker ?
I haven't received WNPI in ages, even with my former setup. (The original Archer Hoverman has now been banished from the bedroom, and with it, any chance of distant reception. Anywhere else in the house, I'm lucky to get all the locals.)
plain om likes this.
tvlurker is offline  
post #1725 of 1764 (permalink) Old 2018-10-15, 09:31 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Craig Henry, Ottawa, ON
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by old sparks View Post
I checked PBS this morning, and the main and all 3 subs are still down. CBS/Fox, which is also re-broadcast from South Colton, is coming in fine.
Thanks. At least that confirms it's not a problem at my end. Still not back this evening, and the message is still on the WPBS home page.
plain om is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome