ON - Kanata, Barrhaven, Nepean, West of Greenbelt - OTA - Page 11 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #151 of 1765 (permalink) Old 2011-01-17, 10:55 AM
Rookie

CM-7777 in and out.

Okay, trying the CM-7777 in and out of the path from the antenna. Using the combined input with the FM filter IN.

No preamp: ch6-noisy, ch11-fuzzy, PBS 18.1/2/3 coming in solid. SunTV solid. Don't have to be as exact with the direction of the antenna to get the local digital channels and PBS.

Preamp: all of the analogs come in clearer (FM filter working?). I receive 18.1/2/3 but not CBS/Fox. Either SunTV and PBS(18.1/2/3) will have symbol problems depending on antenna orientation. I can pick up 57.1/2/3 if I am careful about antenna orientation.

TVfool report
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1765 (permalink) Old 2011-01-17, 12:14 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by malstew View Post
Okay, trying the CM-7777 in and out of the path from the antenna. Using the combined input with the FM filter IN.

No preamp: ch6-noisy, ch11-fuzzy, PBS 18.1/2/3 coming in solid. SunTV solid. Don't have to be as exact with the direction of the antenna to get the local digital channels and PBS.

Preamp: all of the analogs come in clearer (FM filter working?). I receive 18.1/2/3 but not CBS/Fox. Either SunTV and PBS(18.1/2/3) will have symbol problems depending on antenna orientation. I can pick up 57.1/2/3 if I am careful about antenna orientation.

TVfool report
CBS/Fox on RF 18 can be susceptible to an intermod product from CFMT analog 14 and CBOFT digital 22.

SunTV on RF 20 can be susceptible to an intermod product from CIVO 30 and CBOT-DT 25.

PBS on RF 23 can be susceptible to an intermod product of CBOT-DT 25 and CFMT-DT 27.

Since the first and third intermod examples above are each between transmitters from different locations, judicious tweaking of the antenna position may help you out. As for SunTV, it will probably disappear soon (and channel 20 will be used for CJMT), so situation may change.

CHCH will move to 22 in August when CBOFT-DT reverts to 9, so that may change things as well.
post #153 of 1765 (permalink) Old 2011-01-17, 12:55 PM

I suggest you consider a brand name antenna like the cm4228hd to get a better gain vs your 8-bay clone. With the 7777 and the Sony TV tuner, if you're lucky and the Sony TV tuner is good, you'll have a good chance of getting WNYF-LD (CBS/Fox) all day. I just point my 4228hd towards WNYF (Massena) and i get WNYF,WCFE,WNPI. Also Sun, coming off the back. Check my TVFool off my "Home Page" for comparison.

post #154 of 1765 (permalink) Old 2011-01-17, 10:53 PM

malstew,

I am in Barrhaven, so following might give you another reference. I have a SBGH6 with CM7777 mounted on the side of my house probably around 15 feet from ground (definitely not ideal). I was able to receive FOX/CBS reasonably well with occassional pixelation but definitely watchable on a Samsung TV. The antenna is pointing mostly south (170-180 degrees)
post #155 of 1765 (permalink) Old 2011-01-17, 11:21 PM
Rookie

From HDhomerun... with CM7777 (will post without when it warms up a bit and I can go out and remove it)
Real Channel(signal strength, signal quality, symbol qual)
17 CITYHD 100/100/100
18 WWNY-HD 80/40/0 (jumping in and out...mostly out)
22 CBOFT-D 100/65/(jumping from 30..100..40..100..60..100..)
23 WNPI-HD 98/86/(jumping from 100..17..100..10..100..7..)
25 CBOT-DT 100/75/100
27 OMNI1HD 100/92/100
66 OMNI2HD 100/100/100

Skycan,
I have a tower -- so the antenna probably around 35ft, probably also in the highest part of Barrhaven -- up near the big brown water tower on Fallowfield.

Flavoie -- The plan is to get a better antenna. CM4228HD seems to be what works around here. Also plan to get a separate VHF antenna (or make one).

tvlurker -- why might I have problems with intermod products whereas others don't?
post #156 of 1765 (permalink) Old 2011-01-22, 12:10 AM
Veteran

Rogue,
(South of Kemptville ... based on TV fool, looks like good spot for OTA)

According to the TV Fools you posted ...

Height appears to help your situation. Also since you mention trees to the South, height might be needed if you want to clear trees to your south and get reliable signals from the south - not sure ... have to see exact situation.
Are trees to your south really high?

PBS 18.1 goes from 1 edge at 25 ft to LOS at 30 ft.
(you have a tower now? about how high is it?)
(you said you'd like PBS back. You had PBS before? Previous place?)
(personal opinion - go high up in your situation)

Rogue, you mention Wife would like whole house with quality TV and FM, OTA.
You mention you would like to avoid rotor. So if multiple people are watching and/or listening to (different) OTA TV and FM simultaneously in the house ... that means some sort of distribution system in the house ... possibly multiple antennas pointed and combined or with separate down leads. Not sure. Multiple antennas/combining/distribution system... could get complex.

A good antenna and ROTOR would normally help in your situation - I think.

Pre-Amp.
Good quality, low noise pre-amp at top of tower might help - esp with long cable runs.
[the Leviton amp ... if it is a distribution amp ... is not designed to be used as a pre-amp. It probably will have a higher noise figure. Not a good idea to use it as a pre-amp]
(switchable on/off pre-amp ... w/switchable on/off FM Trap ?)
(amplify/no amplify&signal pass. fm trap in or out, independent, remotely)

[Open question to Forum ... Does anyone make a pre-amp like that ? FM trap and amplifier both independently remotely switchable on/off.]

idea: try to find a way to route cable into house to minimize its length. if it means drilling a hole through the wall ... might be worth the effort. Have it done properly. Drip loop, caulked/sealed well. No sharp bends or angles on the cable. Respect minimum radius of coax on bends. Careful.
post #157 of 1765 (permalink) Old 2011-01-22, 01:13 AM
Rookie

Changed the Antenna

As suggested I changed the antenna from an 8-bay clone to a CM4228HD.

With a poorly positioned (pointing "SE-ish") CM4228HD immediately I gained CBS/Fox on 18, and WCFE on 57.1/2/3. Just installed it tonight so I'll have to find out tomorrow if I still get them during the day.

Sadly, the CM4228HD "lost" analog channels 6/13. Actually CIII-TV-2 is coming in better than CIII-TV-6... fuzzier but not distorted. Going to try aiming the antenna more accurately tomorrow and see if maybe 6/13 are sitting at a null point in the current position.

Reception is on a Sony TV (no signal strength #'s because it doesn't seem to give them).
post #158 of 1765 (permalink) Old 2011-01-22, 02:28 PM
Rookie

Lightbulb Woodlawn, a bit west of Kanata

I have an HD view 360 up on the roof (30 ft height) and I have been getting great reception on the Canadian stations available in the area. I'd like to try and get some of the US stations (for the wife) and I'm wondering if getting a 4228HD to test as a separate antannae would be worthwhile or are the US stations out of range? If they are out of range would the 4228HD be likely to pull in more Canadian stations than the HDView 360? Thanks for the help ...My TV fool follows http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf4d56841350d Regards Doug
post #159 of 1765 (permalink) Old 2011-01-22, 06:31 PM
Corporate Supporter

You’re in a tough spot there landowner, those US stations are a long way off and no NBC, ION or Mytv on your fool list, almost not worth it. I do not think a 4228 is going to do it, you need deep fringe. They are barely within reach with the right equipment. You will need to pull out all the stops top get them. But with hi gain and pre amping, what will the strong local channel affect be?

60' Delhi tower,91XG,Y13-10,DB8,Tin Lee Traps,CM9521A,CM7777,CM7000,Winegard RC-1010 & HDA200,Samsung 32 LCD,2 WTV950Q

Twinntech supports Digital Home
post #160 of 1765 (permalink) Old 2011-01-22, 10:47 PM
Veteran

The only US station you might get occassionally would be PBS WNPI, and even that would be a long shot.

Do you get all 6 Canadian digital stations right now (CBC, SRC, CITY, SunTV, OMNI1, OMNI2)? If so, you're set to get the rest of the stations when they convert to digital by August 31.
post #161 of 1765 (permalink) Old 2011-01-23, 10:43 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the question.... I get CBC, SRC, SUNTV, OMNI 1 & 2 in HD. I don't get 46.1, 3.1, 14.1 or 13.1, I'm not sure which one is CITY HD. What additional stations will be coming in August? Is there a better antennae I could be using to pick up more of the available stations.
Thanks for the help.
Doug
post #162 of 1765 (permalink) Old 2011-01-23, 03:27 PM
Rookie

Landowner,
from your TVfool report it looks like all of the channels that you want to get come from the E or SE. If you put up a directional antenna CM4221HD pointed to the ESE you will probably be in pretty good shape for all the stations you are going to get. The CM4221HD should do a lot better pulling in those stations than your flying saucer omni-directional antenna.

It would probably help if you list which stations you currently get, and which ones you want to get. Are all of your analog stations clear, how are they coming in? You should be able to get cityTV on 17.1(digital) and 65(analog).
post #163 of 1765 (permalink) Old 2011-01-23, 08:28 PM
Rookie

Thanks for your comments. I get City HD as you indicated. I also get:
4,4.1 CBC
6 CII
9,9.1 SRC
11 CHCH (from Hamilton!)
13 CJOH
14 CJMT
20,20.1 SUN
24 TVO
27.1 OMNI1
30 TQ (poor reception)
32 LOS
34 V
40 TVA
43 A
60 OMNI
65 CITY
66.1 OMNI
All are good to VG reception except for 30.
Is there much more out there to pull in, in this area?
The saucer's rotator is shot but the antennae must be locked in the right position.
What HD is coming in August?
Thanks for the help....
REgards
Doug

Last edited by Landowner; 2011-01-23 at 08:29 PM. Reason: typos...
post #164 of 1765 (permalink) Old 2011-01-23, 08:46 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landowner View Post
Thanks for the question.... I get CBC, SRC, SUNTV, OMNI 1 & 2 in HD. I don't get 46.1, 3.1, 14.1 or 13.1, I'm not sure which one is CITY HD.
The CRC experimental stations (3.1/46.1/54.1) are usually not broadcasting, so you're not likely to get them. They're generally uninteresting video loops used to test new video technologies.

The only local station you are missing is CITY-DT-1 on 17.1, which is the weakest signal on the Herberts Corners tower.
Quote:
What additional stations will be coming in August? Is there a better antennae I could be using to pick up more of the available stations.
Thanks for the help.
Doug
The plan is that all the rest of the Ottawa stations will be up by August.
The only two stations missing from the Industry Canada list are CIVO-DT 30.1 and CHCH-DT-1 on ch 22, but I believe they are expected to convert by August as well.

CJOH-DT 13.1 is not due to switch over until late August.

Note that SunTV may discontinue broadcasting sometime this year.
The expectation is that next September, there will be 14 local stations broadcasting digitally. In the west end, you may be able to get the CKWS analog repeater from Franktown, and in the south end, you may be able to receive the CKWS repeater from Spencerville.

No new stations are expected from the States -- CBS/Fox and PBS from South Colton, PBS from Lyon Mountain, and for some in the South West, ABC/CW from Watertown.
post #165 of 1765 (permalink) Old 2011-01-23, 10:25 PM

Katimavik Area...

Hey guys,

Wife and I are running an experiment of dropping cable tv cold turkey and turning towards other options. In my thread on the subject HERE some of the guys advised me to look into OTA, which I have. Here is my initial results:

I have a CM4211HD connected to an EyeTV 250 Plus running into my iMac. The antenna is indoors (for now, baby steps). We have cathedral ceilings in our kitchen area with very little attic. I have a setup up on top of the closet in the room putting the antenna about 10 feet off the ground. There are 2 skylights near by and large window. It's the best place for now that I can actually take advantage of as the iMac is also in the kitchen:

I'm in the Castelfrank/McCurdy area (a little higher than most of the houses around the area., here is my TVFool:
based on indoor 10 feet high (current setup): Current TV Fool
based on outdoors on roof, 20 feet high (planned setup): Future TVFool

I'm pointed pretty much right at Camp Fortune (23 degrees mag in my case) give or take a few degrees to the East.
I tried pointing between Fortune and Herberts corner but I get mixed results so for my indoor test I will keep focused on Camp Fortune unless someone has tips.

Here are my results:
Analog:
4 CBC. fuzzy but viewable.
5 A Channel. Lots of static, not viewable to watch tv but can see the channel emblem and hear actors talk
6 Global. Oh so close to being viewable, some horizontal lines and slight hiccups. Enough to not be watchable.
9 CBOFT. Comes in quite good, would be watchable.
13 CTV. Comes in excellent. This is good as I will be recording stuff for the wife.
14 Omni2. Can see video and hear but not watchable.
24 TVOntario. Comes in great, close tie with CTV for best clarity.
30 CIVO Top notch clear
32 CTS. Barely hear it, 90% static
34 TQS. Top notch clear
40 CHOT. Top notch clear
60 Omni1. Barely hear it, 90% static

Digital:
4-1 CBC amazing, no drops
9-1 Radio-Can Really good HD
20-1 Sun. really good HD

The only channel I'd really like to tweak is Global tv. It's so close but I can't seem to get it clean. I see in some posts that it is a weak signal. If there is anything I can do in the current setup that would be great.

The A Channel would be nice too but there is quite a bit more static on it.

In the spring I'm going to have the antenna properly mounted on the roof.

cyas

Last edited by bucketo; 2011-01-24 at 09:48 AM. Reason: added 2nd TVFool for future setup...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in