ON - Ottawa, Vanier, Gloucester, Orleans - OTA - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-07-11, 08:50 PM
Rookie

Somerset and Bayswater, west of Downtown

Recently, my wife and I have been considering dropping our Rogers cable subscription for OTA TV since we don't ever seem to find anything worth watching on TV except TSN and local programming.

We have a 5 year old TV with NTSC and live on the 10th floor of an apartment building. Here is my report from TV Fool (which is pretty confusing to someone as inexperienced as I am).

My questions are:

1. Will a simple TV top antenna work to pick up the analogue stations in green on the report and possibly some of the yellow due to the height of our apartment?

2. Am I right to assume that I need a convertor box with the simple antenna to pick up the digital stations as well?

3. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by stampeder; 2010-07-12 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Location added to title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-07-11, 10:00 PM

Watertown booming in tonight

Getting the Watertown channels (WWTI on UHF 21) at very strong levels tonight. Should be a good night for DXing for Ottawa.

Also getting WNYF on uhf 35 (28.1). No sign of WWNY on 7, not even a blip.
post #108 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-07-12, 07:58 AM

Vrain;

Taller building are likely to contain a lot of metal in their construction, which will shield TV signals. You should be able to receive some of the stations shown in green on your TV Fool report. I would suggest giving it a try...

You would have better luck putting your antenna by the window or out on the balcony. You will still have some shielding from the building, however.

A converter box is necessary for older TV sets that were intended for NTSC reception.

Russ

post #109 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-07-12, 09:33 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrain View Post
Recently, my wife and I have been considering dropping our Rogers cable subscription for OTA TV since we don't ever seem to find anything worth watching on TV except TSN and local programming.

We have a 5 year old TV with NTSC and live on the 10th floor of an apartment building. Here is my report from TV Fool (which is pretty confusing to someone as inexperienced as I am).

My questions are:

1. Will a simple TV top antenna work to pick up the analogue stations in green on the report and possibly some of the yellow due to the height of our apartment?
Rerun the TVFool report for a 100 foot elevation to simulate your 10th floor apartment. (You can also use TVFools's OnLine Maps feature to position your location at the exact spot in your building if you switch from Terrain view to Satellite view. And then if you click on the checkbox for "Show lines pointing to each transmitter", you can see whether you have Line Of Sight to the transmitters without going through the building.)

Quote:
2. Am I right to assume that I need a convertor box with the simple antenna to pick up the digital stations as well?
Yes. Depending on which side of the bulding you're lcoated on, you may have trouble with CKXT (Suntv) or CITY-DT.
Quote:
3. Any other suggestions?

Edit: Located at Somerset and Bayswater, west of downtown Ottawa.
Until August next year, you can get all of the local analog stations, but you may get bad ghosting if you are on the wrong side of the building. To get the digital stations, you'll either need a new TV, or a digital set-top converter.
post #110 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-07-12, 09:40 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Vrain, As old sparks says, tall buildings have a lot of metal in their construction and this will hurt your reception. What direction is your apartment facing? If you are facing south, you should do well as the strong stations (which should be better at penetrating the building) will be to the north. If you are facing north, the stations to the south could be tough to receive well.
post #111 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-07-12, 09:47 AM
Rookie

Talking Orleans reception and future set-up

TVFool results

Hi guys,
I live in the condo complex at the end of Orleans Bld. I made a DIY di-quad for fun. When I set up on the porch (i live in the upper units facing south) I receive 4.1, 9.1, 17.1, 20.1 and 27.1. The analogs are not so great, only the line of sights one were okay. The 2nd edge, not so great. Sun-TV, 20.1 sometimes doesn't get in (below 40%).

I didn't have the compass with me when I tested the reception, so tonight I will align and post my results. I would say my bearing was 250 deg MAG., so not totally lined up with HC or CF.

Since I got encouraging results because of this experience thanks to you, I will invest in a better UHF antenna and consider an install for my dad's place as well. We used to get a lot of analog channels on the farm years ago.

From my TVFool's results, I would like to get an attic mount since I am on the top units. However, I would definitely appreciate the PBS channel or others to come in, specially next summer.

I think I am dreaming. I don't think a CM4228 would fit in the attic hole without a chainsaw Probably a two bay would fit.

Have a great day and thanks again for this opportunity.
Trex
post #112 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-07-12, 10:15 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the quick replies, looks like I came to the right place

Here is my new TV Fool report with 100 feet off the ground and here is my satellite map report from TV Fool.

Quote:
What direction is your apartment facing?
My apartment is on the west side of the building and faces slightly south.

To clarfiy a little further, a simple antenna has the capability to pick up both analogue and digital but I will need a converter box to watch the digital channels? Or do I need a better antenna to pick up the digital channels in addition to the convertor box.

Also, I saw a converter box by RCA in Superstore yesterday that, if I remember correctly, said it had an antenna built in. Is this worth it or possible?
post #113 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-07-12, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Yes.

Here are some threads with info and tips on getting reception.

Tips on using tvfool and a simple antenna you can build yourself
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=124542

Discussion on multipath and ghosting that would effect your reception
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=126910

Best DYI TV antenna plans - I use the Bi-Quad Indoor TV Antenna
post #114 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-07-12, 10:38 AM

Only if your TV does not have an integrated ATSC tuner. The coaxial input of a TV with only NTSC support vs a TV with NTSC & ATSC looks exactly the same, it is a single input.

Since your TV is only 5 years old I would double check if there is not already an ATSC tuner in it. Just doing a channel scan when you get your antenna will give you an idea, it should display digital channels if it sees some.

EDIT: there may be other device you already own which also have an integrated ATSC tuner...
post #115 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-07-12, 11:02 AM
Rookie

Talking Orleans - DIY bi-quad indoor

sorry, posted twice, (#111)
took a while because of the URL...?

Last edited by trex83; 2010-07-12 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Posted twice basically the same thing...
post #116 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-07-12, 11:11 AM
Rookie

hkaye,
Thanks for your bi-quad by the way! It works well and much cheaper than these big-box stores antennas.
Trex83
post #117 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-07-12, 11:40 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavoie View Post
Since your TV is only 5 years old I would double check if there is not already an ATSC tuner in it. Just doing a channel scan when you get your antenna will give you an idea, it should display digital channels if it sees some.
According to a quick google search my TV (Samsung TX-P2734) only has the NTSC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavoie View Post
EDIT: there may be other device you already own which also have an integrated ATSC tuner...
What other devices have ATSC built in?
post #118 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-07-12, 12:21 PM

@vrain - unfortunately your satellite map link doesn't work here, so I'm guessing at the orientation and shape of your building. But from your description of facing west slightly south you should be able to see the direction of the tv towers at 317 degrees from a window, correct? These are really strong and LOS so you should be able to get a great signal from that direction.

The other direction at 150 degrees would be weaker (assuming the signals have to travel through significant portion of your building). These might require a bigger and better antenna to catch.

Quote:
To clarfiy a little further, a simple antenna has the capability to pick up both analogue and digital but I will need a converter box to watch the digital channels?
yes - an antenna will pick up both digital and analog.

Quote:
Also, I saw a converter box by RCA in Superstore yesterday that, if I remember correctly, said it had an antenna built in. Is this worth it or possible?
If the store has a return policy, then it's just your time that is wasted if it doesn't work. If the convertor box + antenna picks up all the stations you want then you're done! Otherwise just return it. It would give you a great idea of how well your reception is from your location.

post #119 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-07-12, 12:26 PM

@trex83:

Glad it worked out for you. Seems from your description that at about 12db NM in the tv fool chart you start to lose the digital channels. Picking up WCFE (PBS) at -15db NM on the tv fool chart would mean you would have to increase the gain by about 27 db. I'm not sure if a 4228 in the attic would give you that much gain increase over the biquad.

post #120 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-07-12, 02:41 PM
Rookie

I picked up a Phillips SDV2115/27 UHF/VHF/FM antenna for $12 today. I seem to get CBC (4), Global (6) CBC French (9) and CTV (13) very well and CHCH (11) with a snowy picture all with the antenna mounted on top of my TV.

If I attach the gold cable which is attached to the UHF antenna, I can't get any channels in the UHF range. Is there something different I need to do to receive these? As it is, the channels I can get are most of what we watch anyways, but accessing the analogue versions of CITY, A-Channel, TVO, and Omni would be a great bonus.

Tags
antenna , dtv , installation , ota , samsung , screenshot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in