ON - Ottawa, Vanier, Gloucester, Orleans - OTA - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-06-18, 11:26 AM

Where are you located James? I'm in the Aylmer Sector of Gatineau. I have trouble with Herbert Corners even on a bright and sunny day, but so far it's mainly with the analog channels. The digital channels come in fine.

Channel 66 - OMNI2 doesn't come in well. It cuts out more than it cuts in. I believe the reason is my antenna. It's a CM4228HD that's located in my attic. From what I understand, that antenna is not designed to pick up the 66 frequency. I would likely need to add another antenna to augment the one I have now for the higher frequencies. My antenna is no good for frequencies lower than 7 too. Global is supposed to transmit on 6, so it's possible I'll have trouble getting that without altering my current antenna configuration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-06-18, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyTown View Post
Where are you located James? I'm in the Aylmer Sector of Gatineau. I have trouble with Herbert Corners even on a bright and sunny day, but so far it's mainly with the analog channels. The digital channels come in fine.

Channel 66 - OMNI2 doesn't come in well. It cuts out more than it cuts in. I believe the reason is my antenna. It's a CM4228HD that's located in my attic. From what I understand, that antenna is not designed to pick up the 66 frequency. I would likely need to add another antenna to augment the one I have now for the higher frequencies. My antenna is no good for frequencies lower than 7 too. Global is supposed to transmit on 6, so it's possible I'll have trouble getting that without altering my current antenna configuration.
You may benefit greatly from hacking your CM4288HD with the balun hack. The reports are the most benefit is actually in the UHF HI range, and this includes channel 66. You may get up to 9dB improvement on channel 66.

I suggest you followup in these threads:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=103749
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=111383
post #48 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-06-18, 12:37 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyTown View Post
Global is supposed to transmit on 6, so it's possible I'll have trouble getting that without altering my current antenna configuration.
Global's future in Ottawa is extremely uncertain at this point so I would hold off on spending too much time and money on it right now. We should have a much better idea of what is happening before the end of the year.

post #49 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-06-18, 12:51 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Also if you look at all of Global's recent applications in other cities they've been quite active in proposing alternatives to the existing allocations, so don't be surprised that they apply for a different channel for Ottawa.

post #50 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-06-18, 12:59 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
Also if you look at all of Global's recent applications in other cities they've been quite active in proposing alternatives to the existing allocations, so don't be surprised that they apply for a different channel for Ottawa.
Very true. My theory on that is Global is very interested in mobile TV (I seem to remember someone posting a comment to that effect a year or so ago) and UHF is best for that.
post #51 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-06-18, 02:38 PM

That would be great if Global could transmit on a different frequency - one that is more easy to pick up.
post #52 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-06-18, 06:20 PM

FunkyTown: I'm in Orleans right beside the Ottawa River.

I'm using a Mini State directional antenna with rotor I bought at RS. CFMT-DT is usually receivable but breaks up occasionally, CJMT-DT is almost impossible, with only reception when the weather conditions are just right (and since I haven't been able to pick it up for over a month now, I'm mostly ignoring it).

Today's big surprise for me was the strong reception I am getting on CITY-DT. With reportedly even less power than the other two, I wasn't expecting much, but I am getting it as strong as CKXT-DT and it doesn't break up or pixelate at all!
post #53 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-06-18, 07:40 PM
Rookie

Lightbulb

I'm in the Billings Bridge area getting perfect reception of 17.1 City. The signal strength is a bit stronger than 27.1 CFMT-DT here too. The reception of analog channels from Herberts Corners is not good here, but these new digital channels are starting to fix that problem nicely

Last edited by stampeder; 2010-06-18 at 11:15 PM.
post #54 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-06-18, 08:21 PM

That's good to hear that you are picking up the digital CityTV so well. Me too! It's excellent. So far the success rate with digital is much better than analog. It makes me wonder why it took so long to finally get here. I am glad it's here now and look forward to the others going digital.
post #55 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-06-19, 01:44 PM

I am in Orleans (Fallingbrook) area and I Just tweaked my antenna ( by eye roughly aiming at 190 degrees from North) after adding Winegard AP-8780 to a Antenna Direct DB4 on top of chimney of a 2 level house and here are my results:
Channel Strength Signal Strength
  • Channel 4.1 (25) 89-93 89-92%
  • Channel 9.1 (22) 90-91 89-91%
  • Channel 17.1 (17) 89-92 90-93%
  • Channel 20.1 (20) 88-91 85-89%
  • Channel 27.1 (27) 90-92 89-90%
  • Channel 66.1 (66) 51-53 50-53%

first time I pick up channel 66.1
post #56 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-06-21, 11:10 PM

I live near beacon hill just at the top of the valley near the ottawa river but have an 8 story building to the south. I have a CM4228hd + CM preamp and amp. The antenna is roof mounted ~9 feet above roof peak.

After experimenting with various rotations, etc I have found 17 DTV stations

CBC HD English
CBC HD French
City HD
PBS...I have picked up at 9 stations. They come in sets of 3...norwood, Platsburg, and ??? (I forget the name) 3 (one from each set) are HD and usually carry the same broadcast.
HDSUN
OMNI 1 and 2...lots of signal strength but for some reason lots of macroblocking....Nothing on these two that interest me anyway.
WWTI 50.1 HD ABC
50.2 CW

I watched the NBA game 7 final on 50.1 in beautiful HD with no MB at all. The past few days there seems to be no signal. I checked the WWTI website and apparently the transmitter is under repair.

On my wishlist are FOX, NBC and CTV HD....but I was pleasantly surprised by the results. I have only rotated the antenna ~100 degrees from ~10 deg W of S to due East. I imagine I won't get much better than this though.
post #57 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-06-22, 01:44 AM

Hi Mike

The other PBS station you are getting is probably VPT (Vermont Public Television) (WETK). It is an occasional visitor to Orleans, and you seem to have good elevation to be successfully pulling in WWTI!

If you are getting WWTI, you should be able to pull in WWNY (RF 7) with the right setup which will get you CBS and FOX. The CM4228 seems to be weak on VHF stations which is probably the reason you didn't get WWNY. If you don't mind waiting, there is a repeater coming up soon from the same tower as WNPI-DT. It's a fair bit weaker, but if you have decent reception of WNPI at all times, it might be usable for you.

Macroblocking on the OMNI's doesn't surprise me. You're in the same reception shed I'm in where the Herbert's Corners tower doesn't like to penetrate. Those channels desperately need a power boost, imo (City-DT is from the same tower, and comes in perfectly, something is just fishy with the omni stations) Maybe they're lower on the tower? They are supposed to have more ERP than City, but it doesn't look like it from here.
post #58 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-06-22, 10:43 AM

Location: Ottawa South Keys - Attic Log Periodic>CF, 4bay Clone>HC
Receiving opposite directions

Hi All,
One of the problems with the Ottawa OTA situation is that the city is smack in between 2 transmit towers. I have been struggling with trying to get my two antennas combined together. It seems to be impossible due to reflection cancellations, etc. I have also tried to point one antenna at HC and adjust until CF comes in OK. That doesn't work too well either, because of fluctuations. One of my antennas is a 4-bay clone. I have removed the reflector screen from the back of the antenna, and now I get all channels from both tower locations! Some of the gain has been lost, but otherwise works quite well. I am stuck with attic installation, so that doesn't help either. Here are my results from South Keys area...
CityDT 17.1 70% stable
SunDT 20.1 85% stable
CBCFDT 22.1 85% stable
CBCDT 25.1 92% stable
OMNI1 27.1 70% stable
OMNI2 66.1 85% stable
post #59 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-06-22, 12:37 PM

Thanks James...looking to the south there is definitely good elevation here.

I am getting 50.1 and 50.2 as of last night and this morning. I forgot that I had rotated the 4228 out of position when I was fooling around with it. It looks clean with no macroblocking but I havn't tried it during the day....just at night.

50.2...the 'CW' feed seems to be SD and not HD.

I just realized that the 3rd PBS station I am getting is the Watertown feed 16.1, 16.2, and 16.3. The weakest PBS is the Watertown feed and it is the most prone to MB....I have had trouble seeing it at all lately. Plattsburg works perfectly with a strong signal as long as I point 10 deg S of E or so. Norwood seems to work perfectly regardless of the orientation of my antenna.

I wouldn't mind setting up a second antenna using a second tuner if it would pull in CBS and FOX. Do you have any suggestions for a good VHF setup?

I don't mind waiting either...I am looking forward to new signals coming online.

One thing that bothers me with my setup is that HDSUN and CITY HD work for me but I can't point my antenna toward watertown...I have to rotate it and that is a bit of a pain.

Cheers.
post #60 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-06-22, 01:51 PM

Hi Mike,

If you post your tvfool results, it may help us finding why you have to rotate your antenna to get Sun and City. My guess is that you have close to 90 degrees from CF (Sun transmitter) when you're pointing towards Watertown; your 4228 may have a hard time picking it up considering the angle.

Last edited by stampeder; 2010-06-22 at 02:34 PM.

Tags
antenna , dtv , installation , ota , samsung , screenshot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in