ON - Ottawa, Vanier, Gloucester, Orleans - OTA - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-05-06, 04:12 PM
Rookie

Carlington

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottme2 View Post
With a small mini amplified antenna about 6 inches long, and 4 inches wide I am able to pickup.

SUNTV
CBCHD -English
CBCHD -French
OMNIHD -1
OMNIHD -2

I mounted this antenna about 20ft off the ground.

Does anyone know if this is good results or not?
Which tower broadcasts the DTV versions of OMNI-1 and OMNI-2? I have an omnidirectional (MS-1000) antenna ~25 feet off the ground, and only get very poor analog versions of those two channels, signal strength 25-75. Something I can do to get the DTV versions?

Last edited by stampeder; 2010-05-06 at 04:34 PM. Reason: location in title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-05-06, 04:21 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

See the list in Post #1 of this thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=109552

and check the rest of thread for any update posts.

post #33 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-05-06, 04:24 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by knudby View Post
I live in Carlington, have an omnidirectional (MS-1000) antenna ~25 feet off the ground, and only get very poor analog versions of those two channels, signal strength 25-75. Something I can do to get the DTV versions?
The first step is to post a link to your TVfool results.

post #34 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-05-14, 12:38 PM
Rookie

tvlurk... you're correct I meant to say my receiver does not support analog, but the antenna does.

As for the Antenna I found it on usedottawa with the name in title (New HDTV Indoor/Outdoor Antenna 20db, VHF,UHF) I tried to post a link to it, but this required approval and it was never approved.

So far works fairly well from Avalon area in Orleans.
post #35 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-05-14, 01:06 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
ottme2, Glad you are happy with your results, but for your money I think you could do much better. They claim it will receive VHF, but I highly doubt if will do very well with it. I don't recommend any of the antennas I see on Used Ottawa. Many of the ads are very deceptive.

PS. FYI, retail links are not allowed in this section of the forum.
post #36 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-06-02, 06:55 PM
Rookie

Orleans

Hi Vince, I'm in Orleans and on my 2nd floor TV I am currently using a pair of SBGH (single bay Gray-Hoverman) antennas in my attic, one pointed at Camp Fortune (home of CBC, CTV, Global and all of the French channels) and one pointed at Herberts Corners (home of OMNI1, OMNI2 and CITY). I use an inexpensive RCA switch from Home Depot to select the antenna. The antennas were very inexpensive - rigid styrofoam boards (4" thick) with galvanized fencing wire and cheap baluns from Home Depot.

For my main floor TV I am using a single SBGH antenna identical to the other ones, which is sitting on a chair which we turn back and forth to aim at the transmitter as required. This is a temporary setup, eventually we will run coax cable from to attic to one or more antennas as required.

These antennas pick up all the local channels, except Global analog (channel 6) is a bit snowy, and OMNI2 digital (channel 66) is hard to pick up at all.

There may be other solutions such as a rotor or an omnidirectional antenna which would work, but I am happy with this setup for now. I will reassess the situation in a year or so when the cutover takes place.

Last edited by stampeder; 2010-06-19 at 11:16 AM.
post #37 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-06-03, 08:39 AM

reception in ottawa

I am too lazy to look up that postal code but in the south end near bank and conroy rd I use an omni amplified antenna with good results on all digital and anologe channels. Gobal is snowy at times but watchable ( i have split the signal ways). My antenna is at 35ft on the side of my ham radio tower and my location is quite high, so your results may vary.
post #38 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-06-05, 08:11 AM

Orleans area

Hi folks,

We are hopefully going to be moving into a house in the Orleans area next month, fingers crossed. We are moving from the GTA and I plan to bring my OTA Anetnna CM4228 with me along with the accessories.

Is it worth me putting on the roof, and what channels can I look forward to picking up? If am going to get all the channels avail in the Ottawa area depending on where the towers are, do I need another antenna to supplement what I already have, if so should I get another cm4228?

Cheers

Michael

Last edited by stampeder; 2010-06-05 at 01:19 PM. Reason: moved to this thread
post #39 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-06-05, 01:44 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lima20 View Post
Hi folks,

We are hopefully going to be moving into a house in the Orleans area next month ... Is it worth me putting on the roof, and what channels can I look forward to picking up?
Stampeder: this belongs in the "reception thread", not "station status".

That said, lima20, just go to tvfool.com, enter your address (or better, coordinates), and see what it tells you.

Best case, Ottawa is nothing like Toronto. For digital OTA, we have only CBC english/french, SunTV, and Omni1/Omni2. CityTV-DT is coming Real Soon Now. Some people are lucky enough to receive WNPI and/or WCFE PBS stations from the states, though Orleans can be very troublesome for that.

Cheers
post #40 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-06-05, 08:03 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

My bad - it's now in the correct thread. lima20, I put in "Orleans" into the Search This Thread tool and got lots of hits.

post #41 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-06-09, 07:42 PM

Fallingbrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlord View Post
Best case, Ottawa is nothing like Toronto. For digital OTA, we have only CBC english/french, SunTV, and Omni1/Omni2. CityTV-DT is coming Real Soon Now. Some people are lucky enough to receive WNPI and/or WCFE PBS stations from the states, though Orleans can be very troublesome for that.
Thank you. Based on my results in the link below for the Fallingbrook area of Ottawa, can one of the experts please examine my results in the link below and advise, best setup for me to get all channels please?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbebaf67bc543
post #42 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-06-09, 08:13 PM

Being in Fallingbrook you should be in luck for WCFE-DT (PBS) and WNPI-DT (also PBS) without resorting to too many extremes. A good antenna at sufficient height will bring those stations in.

It looks like you may not have much to work with WWNY on Ch. 7, but it shouldn't be too long before the Massena repeater is up, and coming from the WNPI tower. That will provide you with CBS in HD and Fox in SD.

I've had pretty good luck compensating for my awful reception in Orleans using a Mini-state I bought at RS/(the source) although it is quite expensive at $200.

If you like to build stuff, why not try one of the antenna designs in the DIY forums? It can be a lot cheaper, and work just as well.
post #43 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-06-09, 10:17 PM

Thanks for that....Like I mentioned before, I have a cm4228, a rotor cm7777 already that I'll be looking to put on a tripod on the roof or pole.

I just need to know if I need another supplementary antenna to point in the opposite direction, or if am good with just one?

Cheers

Last edited by stampeder; 2010-06-09 at 10:54 PM. Reason: see the OTA: Ontario Parts, Sales, Service, Installers thread
post #44 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-06-10, 10:32 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lima20 View Post
Thanks for that....Like I mentioned before, I have a cm4228, a rotor cm7777 already that I'll be looking to put on a tripod on the roof or pole.

I just need to know if I need another supplementary antenna to point in the opposite direction, or if am good with just one?
Your CM4228 should receive all the current DTV locals, though you will likely need to rotate it to select between CKXT (Sun TV) and the two PBS stations (the others will likely come in regardless of the direction).

The big issue is Global. It is currently analog only on ch.6 and it is highly unlikely to go digital before the analog shutdown. It is currently scheduled to stay on ch.6 after the analog shutdown, though many of us are hoping that will change. Your CM4228 will not receive it very well so an antenna for VHF-LO will be necessary. Post transition all local VHF stations will be from Camp Fortune so you could fix a small VHF antenna on it and connect it to the VHF input on your CM7777. This may make CHCH a bit fuzzy until the analog shutdown however as it is currently on 11 from Herbert's Corners. This may all become irrelevant if Global doesn't stay on 6.

To be honest though it is tough to make recommendations right now as everything will be changing in a little over a year and we don't know for sure what will be happening then.
post #45 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-06-16, 10:41 PM

Every broadcaster that uses camp fortune pretty much guarantees great reception from my house, even with very low power since even at ground level, Camp Fortune is line-of-sight.

Conversely, I struggle to get decent reception on even the strongest of Herbert's Corners transmissions. (TVFool tells me I need 72ft. above ground to get line-of-sight to that tower! or just 67ft. for City-TV )

Last edited by stampeder; 2010-06-18 at 11:33 AM.

Tags
antenna , dtv , installation , ota , samsung , screenshot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in