ON - Ottawa, Vanier, Gloucester, Orleans - OTA - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-04-08, 06:33 PM

Thank you for the tips, I think I might try looking into something I can mount in the roof, (or at least attic). It would be nice if I succeeded in getting one of the PBS stations too (though from the looks of things WWNY is a completely lost cause where I am).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-04-09, 12:19 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by james039 View Post
I think I might try looking into something I can mount in the roof, (or at least attic).
The combination of a better antenna and better elevation would certainly help.

Quote:
It would be nice if I succeeded in getting one of the PBS stations too (though from the looks of things WWNY is a completely lost cause where I am).
You may be too deep into the valley to pick up either of the PBS stations. From the east end, you probably have a better shot at WCFE than WNPI, but it is likely a long shot.
post #18 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-04-09, 04:15 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
The combination of a better antenna and better elevation would certainly help.

You may be too deep into the valley to pick up either of the PBS stations. From the east end, you probably have a better shot at WCFE than WNPI, but it is likely a long shot.
From TVFool, it looks like the area in Orleans between St Joseph Boulevard and the Ottawa River is a problem for WCFE and WNPI.

post #19 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-04-15, 09:36 AM
Rookie

Good conditions last night in Metcalfe

I was picking up WWNY in Metcalfe with a the Source's MINI-STATE HDTV-UHFVHF antenna. 7.1 was coming in at 40 % with the antenna on the tower at the 30' mark. WCFE 57 was 75% and WPBS 18 was 85%. All Ottawa stations were clear as well as they normally are.
Conclusion: the mini state antenna is worth the money.
post #20 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-04-15, 12:02 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

How long have you been using that MiniState? It would be great to see the long term results.

post #21 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-04-15, 01:51 PM
Rookie

Hi Stampeder,

I have been using this antenna since last fall around October. There is a rf remote for directional tuning which makes this antennas control very good.

I am soon going to get it mounted just below my amateur antenna (Ringo Ranger) within the next month and will then be at the 60' mark. I figure I can then reinforce the current reception and help with Watertown as well.
post #22 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-04-16, 03:49 AM

So I picked up this mini-state antenna, and just putting it in the same room I had my old antenna, I'm now receiving 27.1 and 66.1 (though 66 is quite unstable).

Also, got a signal on 38, but not enough for a lock. Thing is I'm not sure if it's WCFE, or if it's the CRC's diver loop from the west end. Can anyone confirm if that channel is still operating?
post #23 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-04-16, 11:55 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4u View Post
I am soon going to get it mounted just below my amateur antenna (Ringo Ranger) within the next month and will then be at the 60' mark. I figure I can then reinforce the current reception and help with Watertown as well.
Certainly increasing elevation is a good thing, but I am not convinced that a mini-state antenna will have a high enough gain to receive American channels (though from Metcalfe it might be close).

The biggest issue I have with a mini-state antenna (or any antenna with a rotor) is you can't watch/record two programs from different broadcast antennas at the same time. Similarly when you go away, you can't record programs from two different broadcast antennas unless you find a way of automatically rotating the antenna.

For this reason I prefer either using a single wide angle antenna, or, if that isn't feasible, combining two or more different antennas. Mlord has an excellent solution for the latter, using an HTPC (MythTV) to automatically switch multiple antennas to multiple tuners. This could be easily extended to have multiple frontends to support more than one TV.
post #24 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-05-05, 01:28 AM
Rookie

Question Orleans - are these good results?

With a small mini amplified antenna about 6 inches long, and 4 inches wide I am able to pickup.

SUNTV
CBCHD -English
CBCHD -French
OMNIHD -1
OMNIHD -2

I mounted this antenna about 20ft off the ground.

Does anyone know if this is good results or not?

Last edited by stampeder; 2010-05-05 at 03:02 AM. Reason: location in title
post #25 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-05-05, 10:59 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottme2 View Post
Does anyone know if this is good results or not?
Those are all the DTV stations transmitted in Ottawa so I guess those results are OK. How well do you receive the analog broadcasts? That is a much better indication of how good the antenna is.

With a better antenna you might be able to pick up one of the PBS stations from the US, but from your description of the antenna you have, you won't get them with it.

My biggest concern with your antenna is that it is likely UHF only and after the Canadian analog shutdown some stations will use their analog channel number on VHF (for example CJOH plans to stay on channel 13) so you may need a different antenna at that time.
post #26 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-05-05, 12:31 PM
Rookie

The antenna I used does not support analog, therefore I cannot confirm those channels.

Supposedly it does support VHF, but I wont know until the time comes to test, but currently I am getting no VHF channels.

Thanks for you response.
post #27 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-05-05, 03:14 PM

A tv antenna that doesn't support analog? How is that possible?!

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #28 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-05-05, 03:34 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

ottme2, I hope you'll read the OTA FAQ to see how antennas work since you have said something that doesn't make sense...

post #29 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-05-05, 04:39 PM
Veteran

Quote:
The antenna I used does not support analog
Did you mean that your TV tuner doesn't support analog?
post #30 of 2254 (permalink) Old 2010-05-05, 05:25 PM
Veteran

Quote:
The antenna I used does not support analog, therefore I cannot confirm those channels.
There is no such thing as a digital only antenna. All antennas will receive both analog and digital signals equally (assuming it is designed for the correct band). Labels such as digital or HD antenna are just marketing hype in an attempt to sell more antennas.

The thing about digital broadcasts is you either get a perfect picture or nothing at all so with a good tuner you can get great results even if the signal is bad. If you can't get very good results with analog broadcasts (especially for TVO on channel 24 since CBC and Sun TV share a broadcast antenna with it), the antenna probably isn't very good, but good enough for the local digital stations, especially with the antenna mounted 20' in the air. You may get similar results with a paperclip. The problem is, in bad weather, you may loose your picture. With a better antenna you will receive a more reliable digital signal and a good picture in analog.

Tags
antenna , dtv , installation , ota , samsung , screenshot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in