BC - Langley, Maple Ridge, East up the Fraser Valley - OTA - Page 31 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #451 of 457 (permalink) Old 2018-06-22, 01:36 PM

Location: Brookswood area, Langley, BC - Clearstream v1 antenna with HDHomerun DVR
On hold for now, but I think when I go rooftop, I should be able to get them all. Just a matter of putting in the time to get it done. Likely in July.

KR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 457 (permalink) Old 2018-12-07, 05:17 PM
Rookie

Location: Pitt Meadows ShawGateway&3Portals, 1ShawSeagateExpander
My system was working perfect until about two weeks ago now. Actually everything is working great except CKVU/City which is now unreliable with most recordings and live viewing attempts via HDHomerun failing. When I check with the antenna directly attached to the TV it shows a weak signal. I'm thinking its just the cold & wet weather.

A couple months back I called Shaw all excited to cut the cord... testing had gone great all summer with my OTA Antennae/HDHomerun Extend/Plex PVR setup, including accessing remotely over the internet at our summer place in Hope; I was ready! But then Shaw Retentions Dept. went and made me an offer I couldn't refuse... ~$12/month for Small TV (basic channels plus any 5 packages) for 2 year contract... at that price it's worth it to me just for all the Go app logins on the Apple TV, so I still have Shaw (Arris Gateway). I record just about everything to both my Plex PVR and my Shaw PVR but I prefer watching via Apple TV what I've recorded OTA to my Plex PVR because Plex strips out the commercials for me, and I just prefer the AppleTV interface/apps/etc.

Perhaps in the spring I'll try mounting my antennae outside (currently mounted in the attic) and see if that improves my CKVU reception for next winter, and who knows, maybe I'll get CHEK and PBS as a bonus.

Would love to hear any updates from others. Do you any of you loose any channels in the colder/wetter months?
post #453 of 457 (permalink) Old 2018-12-07, 06:38 PM

Location: Brookswood area, Langley, BC - Clearstream v1 antenna with HDHomerun DVR
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazbot View Post
My system was working perfect until about two weeks ago now. Actually everything is working great except CKVU/City which is now unreliable with most recordings and live viewing attempts via HDHomerun failing. When I check with the antenna directly attached to the TV it shows a weak signal. I'm thinking its just the cold & wet weather.

[...snip...]

Perhaps in the spring I'll try mounting my antennae outside (currently mounted in the attic) and see if that improves my CKVU reception for next winter, and who knows, maybe I'll get CHEK and PBS as a bonus.

Would love to hear any updates from others. Do you any of you loose any channels in the colder/wetter months?

Yeah, there is a reason CKVU/City is your worst. Check these specs:

CKVU-DT 33 (10.1)
CTN
Max ERP: 8.300 kW
Eff. pwr: 7.070 kW

CBUT-DT 43 (2.1)
CBC
Max ERP: 103.340 kW
Eff. pwr: 72.359 kW

CHAN-DT 22 (8.1)
GTN
Max ERP: 40.000 kW
Eff. pwr: 38.685 kW

CIVT-DT 32 (32.1)
CTV
Max ERP: 33.000 kW
Eff. pwr: 32.437 kW

CHNM-DT 20 (42.1)
OMNI
Max ERP: 8.300 kW
Eff. pwr: 7.070 kW

CityTV's output is much weaker than the other three networks which broadcast from essentially the same place. OMNI is also pretty low power. Do you get it OK?

It may help to try a different antenna. Are you still using the RCA ant702z? I use a Clearstream C1C (installed in my attic) which I picked up from BestBuy and get 21 channels including City, CHEK, and PBS. I also use the HDHomerun (Connect original) but with an Emby server.

KR

post #454 of 457 (permalink) Old 2018-12-07, 07:50 PM
Rookie

Wow, thanks Keith. I had no idea the broadcast power varies so drastically between the stations. For whatever reason I seem to be getting OMNI just fine, even though it looks like it's the same strength as City.

Great to hear that a relatively inexpensive antenna is working so well for you, and still in the attic at that. Yes, I'm still using the RCA ant702z. Sounds like I may want to upgrade and venture back into the attic. Also you're much further from Mt Seymour than I am, so that gives me high confidence it will work for me too. Did you have to fiddle much with the direction/location of the antenna in the attic to get the 21 channels? I assume that's just one antennae that's picking up from both Mt Seymour and Bellingham right?
post #455 of 457 (permalink) Old 2018-12-08, 12:52 AM

Yes, that is correct, just the one antenna to get them all. It took some time to find the sweet spot in my attic, but I did eventually determine that point that would bring in CityTV, CHEK and PBS. It is a bit tenuous though, and I may eventually combine two antennas. I actually tested that. When you combine them, you lose a few DB's but facing each antenna farm more directly may compensate for that.

I have been quite impressed with the Clearstream series of antennas. Have set up four friends with the C1C model with great results all around.

Keith R
post #456 of 457 (permalink) Old 2018-12-10, 05:44 PM
Rookie

Thanks Keith. I was able to pick up a C1C for cheap off Craigslist over the weekend and install it in my attic. I'm now getting City/CKVU clear so I'm back in business. No additional stations though... CHEK is detected but not strong enough to watch, and no PBS. I'm using the booster that came with my RCA with the C1C and it seems to help a bit. I appreciate the help and advise!
post #457 of 457 (permalink) Old 2018-12-19, 05:11 PM

Glad to hear that the C1C helped improve things. I have been quite impressed with how well it works in our area and have recommended it to a number of people.

Keith R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in