ON - Oakville, Burlington, Milton, Halton - OTA - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2005-07-10, 10:49 AM
Veteran

Location: 300 Steelcase Road W, #20 Markham,905470 9604 ext 230
gmarsden did you use a regular splitter in reverse that has a 3 to 3.5 db loss per side.

I have seen listed on a web site, but maybe they were lying on a site that they sell low loss .5db combiner from two inputs to one.

CM4228/9521/7775;F.RmJvc70FH96/8300HDPvr/Dish 612;B.Rm LC52LE810UN/8642HD;Study LG50PK550/Xbox360;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2005-07-10, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaamon
gmarsden did you use a regular splitter in reverse that has a 3 to 3.5 db loss per side.

I have seen listed on a web site, but maybe they were lying on a site that they sell low loss .5db combiner from two inputs to one.
Combiners are low loss - splitters are high loss.
post #33 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2005-07-13, 01:23 AM
Q
Veteran

Oakville. 3rd Line and Uppermiddle area: Results any good?

I just got the 9200 and signed up for the HDTV package.

Was strolling in Walmart and saw a Phillips antenna......$25........ahhhhh....I'll try it.

I got at most 13 channels. Currently have 12

The percentages of all are around 70% and some higher.

004-01 WIVB
004-03 WNLO
005-01 CBLT
007-01 WKBW
023-01 WIVB
023-03 WNLO
029-01 WUTV
029-02 WUTV
029-03 WUTV
043-01 WNED
043-02 WNED
043-03 Think

The quality seems to be the same as on expressvu.

Does quality go up as percentage does? I assume since it is digital that it is either clear or not. Some pixulation usually means you are on the thin line.

Is that pretty good for the antenna I got? I just put it over the TV. Is there any reasons to keep it as it doesn't map into the Bell guide that well. Bell carries the channels as well.......they just may be different cities.

Thanks

Joe

post #34 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2005-07-13, 11:33 AM
Q
Veteran

rotated the loop and got 002-01 but lost I think 007.

The signal on some channels are now approaching 80%

I hooked up 10dB amplifier.........can this help? When I play with the gain control on the antenna it doesn't really seem to make a difference until i go too low.
post #35 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2005-07-13, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoe
rotated the loop and got 002-01 but lost I think 007.
The signal on some channels are now approaching 80%
I hooked up 10dB amplifier.........can this help? When I play with the gain control on the antenna it doesn't really seem to make a difference until i go too low.
Help us understand fully your problem... put your location in your profile.
Then we can see if you are wasting your time with an indoor antenna.
What happens when you lengthen the cable to place it out doors?
post #36 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2005-07-13, 12:05 PM
Q
Veteran

I am in Oakville. 3rd Line and Uppermiddle area.

No problem really. Just thought I would play with a $25 antenna and am surprised I got so many channels.

As my first post states though.......with Bell offering the same channels is there a lot of value to spend much more on an antenna?

Granted.......if I buy a better antenna and put it outside I may get higher singal and possibly more channels but from what I read on what some people are getting I think I got quite a few channels.

Also can the VHF/UHF amplifier do anything for me?

Thanks

Joe
post #37 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2005-07-13, 12:40 PM

Quote:
No problem really. Just thought I would play with a $25 antenna and am surprised I got so many channels.
I'm using a $40 antenna and get these channels perfectly:
http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...1&postcount=70

Quote:
As my first post states though.......with Bell offering the same channels is there a lot of value to spend much more on an antenna?
I can't comment on Bell PQ... but the OTA PQ is better than with my Cogeco cable feed and the sound does not have the drops I seem to suffer from thru' the digital sound output of my PVR. With my TV the difference is obvious, other setups may not be as visible and other people may not care. For me PQ is number one, why I bought the TV I did and why I paid to have it calibrated which gave me a further jump in quality which was impressive out of the box.... I was not unhappy with out of box setup, now looking back with the experience of a calibration I should have been unhappy!
gmarsden covers other advantages of going directly to the OTA HD source.

Quote:
Granted.......if I buy a better antenna and put it outside I may get higher singal and possibly more channels but from what I read on what some people are getting I think I got quite a few channels.
Also can the VHF/UHF amplifier do anything for me.
I'm no expert but I think you would gain more by going to an outdoor antenna rather than using an amp. I think you may be just fighting the lower gain of that indoor antenna.
post #38 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2005-07-13, 12:40 PM
Q
Veteran

Good Point.

Simsubbing doesn't bother me since I don't watch commericials but badly timed ones would.

They must not be doing it all the time. I was checking yesterday and the signals from EVu didn't seem to be simsubbed. they had the ABC, NBC, CBS logos.

For $25 bucks.........I think it may be a keeper.

Joe
post #39 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2005-07-13, 12:47 PM
Q
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready123
I'm using a $40 antenna and get these channels perfectly:
http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...1&postcount=70

Are the percentage high? Where did you get that $40 antenna? I am also thinking could it have anything to do with you being much higher than I am?

From what I can tell it is the CN tower stations I am missing which is the CDN content. No biggie.
post #40 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2005-07-13, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Are the percentage high? Where did you get that $40 antenna? I am also thinking could it have anything to do with you being much higher than I am?
From what I can tell it is the CN tower stations I am missing which is the CDN content. No biggie.
I get 17 Digital stations... 5 from CN tower rest from Buffalo... I also get a bunch of NTSC one's too.

Mine is aimed between Buffalo & Toronto to get both sets as I have line of sight to them. You may need a rotator or two antennas to accomplish the same or just maybe an amplifier if you have obstructions between you and TO.
Yes, I'm above ground on the lake (probably why I can get away with one antenna aimed between TO & Buffalo as I have zero obstructions) but at Upper Middle rd you also have an increased elevation wrt source even at near ground level.
Can't help with percentages as I'm using my TV's tuner.... so I either get it clear or I don't.
From my prior posts link you can find the supplier in Hamilton, Nutech.

Your lower situation might well benefit from the one with a screen.

Have you tried to use a longer cable to get the antenna outside. That's what I initially did with a Radioshack indoor antenna and saw the additional benefit so I then purchased the $40 outdoor antenna at a $$ saving when I returned initial one as not suitable.

PM me if you want to borrow my antenna for a test to see if it works for you... all you will need is a long length of cable to run it back to your TV.
post #41 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2005-07-13, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I just got the 9200 and signed up for the HDTV package.

Was strolling in Walmart and saw a Phillips antenna......$25........ahhhhh....I'll try it.

I got at most 13 channels. Currently have 12

The percentages of all are around 70% and some higher.

004-01 WIVB
004-03 WNLO
005-01 CBLT
007-01 WKBW
023-01 WIVB
023-03 WNLO
029-01 WUTV
029-02 WUTV
029-03 WUTV
043-01 WNED
043-02 WNED
043-03 Think

The quality seems to be the same as on expressvu.

Does quality go up as percentage does? I assume since it is digital that it is either clear or not. Some pixulation usually means you are on the thin line.

Is that pretty good for the antenna I got? I just put it over the TV. Is there any reasons to keep it as it doesn't map into the Bell guide that well. Bell carries the channels as well.......they just may be different cities.

Thanks

Joe
You should also be receiving 53-1 (CITY-TV HD) and 66-1 (CKXT-TV HD).

The quality of the picture remains virtually constant as long as you get a signal. That's the difference between analog & digital. There will be a difference between signals on cable or EVue -- due to compression. The OTA signals don't have the same compression levels, and therefore are more pristine.

When you loose the signal (and this threshold varies with your receiver) you will begin to pixellate, experience blocking, and then nothing.

Your signal indicator may indicate zero, but in fact, there still is signal, but it has fallen below the threshold to decode a good picture.

The question with your antenna is sustainability. I believe with your cheapie indoor antenna you will not always receive the Buffalo channels or the weaker Toronto channels (like 66-1).
post #42 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2005-07-13, 05:19 PM

Quote:

Also can the VHF/UHF amplifier do anything for me?

Thanks

Joe
A 10dB amp used on an indoor antenna, may help very slightly. You can see the effect using your signal indicator, and put the amp into the antenna line, and without. What difference does it make using the signal indicator. The picture won't change at all -- it is digital.

A VHF/UHF amp doesn't help. All the HD OTA channels are all UHF.
post #43 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2005-08-29, 01:48 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bete_noir
Thanks for the info. I mentioned the Wade SL-4BT because a previous poster in this thread recommended it.

By the way, it's great to have a place where we can discuss Canadian signal reception and other issues....

And that, my friend, is exactly why we're here! Regarding the Wade SL-4BT you might want to consider the reflector version of it: the 4BT-1483. Anyways we can discuss it in the Outdoor Antennas thread as you need because we're not really supposed to discuss things much in this Reports thread.

post #44 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2005-10-18, 10:22 AM

Oakville antenna choice help needed

I'm in the Winston Churchill-QEW area of Oakville and I'm looking to get into OTA HDTV. I'm picking up a handful of stations now (mostly the Grand Island ones) on rabbit ears. I'd like to find a reliable setup to receive all the Toronto and Buffalo digital stations and, of course, not spend more money than necessary.

I noticed a couple of posts about using a four-bay bowtie antenna (Ready123's SL-4BT) to pick up both the Toronto and Buffalo stations. It seems like most other people use much more directional antennas and either have a rotar or combine the signals of two antennas.

Obviously, the single, inexpensive, wide-pattern antenna looks enticing*. Just the fact that rabbit ears (in the basement!) pull in some stations from 50 miles away makes me think that it might work. OTOH, I'd like to do this once and do it right.

Are there others using a wide-pattern antenna in the Oakville area?

Craig

*Much less noticeable from the curb, too!
post #45 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2005-10-18, 02:28 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

You mentioned the SL-4BT, which will do great as an almost unseen outdoor UHF antenna in your area. I personally recommend going with the reflector version (4BT-1483) or one of its competitors (Channel Master 4221 or Winegard PR-4400) on a mast in order to better maintain signal reception in heavy rain or snow conditions, but as you mentioned, Ready123 gets great results from his SL-4BT.

Regarding directional antennas, I think you might be getting the terminology backwards. It seems to me that the majority of people in this Forum are either using or looking at wide pattern UHF antennas such as those I've mentioned above and of course the Channel Master 4228. Such bowtie reflector antennas have wide and generous patterns. On the other hand, there are people here who use very directional yagi antennas such as the Winegard 90XX and Televes yagi models, which have very tight reception patterns. Those antennas are very effective and desirable in many cases such as line-of-site aiming or rejection of interference from more local sources, although they don't fare as well in deep fringe or obscured/low altitude areas as the reflectors.

Tags
antenna , merger , signal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in