ON - Oakville, Burlington, Milton, Halton - OTA - Page 11 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #151 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2006-10-27, 08:32 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgvp View Post
First, I should indicate that the 4221 for Toronto is aimed due east, while the 4221 for Buffalo is aimed due south. Tonight I acquired an A/B switch: A) Toronto channels, B) Buffalo channels. When I did the autoscan for the Toronto channels the results were CBC and OMNI together with a lot of Buffalo channels (?). Then I did an autoscan for the Buffalo channels and for once NBC together with the 29s came up with the other usual Buffalo channels.

It seemed for a moment that I had succeeded, but then when I reverted to the Toronto channels again by switching back to A), all the channels had disappeared. So, it looks like the only way I'm going to be able to make this work is to perform the 4221 x 2 conversion to 4228 to result in one connection and one total autoscan. Anyone know where the conversion kit maybe had ? Either that or I have two CM4221s for sale ! Mark ( Yaemon) want to do a swap ?
Changing to a 4228 will not help as its even more directional than 4221.Is there no way to manually add in channels with your tuner.All of my tuners allow you add channels in some way without doing a complete erasing and re-scanning back in.

Attic CM 4248 at Buffalo,M4 at Buffalo.VHF yagis at Toronto .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2006-10-28, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob50312 View Post
Changing to a 4228 will not help as its even more directional than 4221.Is there no way to manually add in channels with your tuner.All of my tuners allow you add channels in some way without doing a complete erasing and re-scanning back in.
I don't know yet what the reason for it is but I am receiving Buffalo channels ( NBC has gone again,) and yet can only still pick up one Toronto channel ( 5.1) tonight. I did perform a manual input exercise, ( 78 channels on each of the Toronto and Buffalo antennae,) but did not manage to add one more channel although during the procedure I was coming across channels that produced very good signal strengths, but after adding them they still didn't appear in the channel listings. Incidentally, when you start this "Set Up Assistant" exercise, it immediately erases all the channels from the current listings. All in all, this is becoming the mother of all wheel spinning exercises.

I guess a note off to Miglia/Elgato is in order.
post #153 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2006-11-04, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 026163 View Post
buy yourself a real antenna, and then you'll get all the football, from FOX, and NBC via OTA.
Can you recommend a powerful indoor antenna or is there such a thing?

post #154 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2006-11-04, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug30 View Post
Can you recommend a powerful indoor antenna or is there such a thing?
You need an outdoor CM 4221 or CM 4228.
post #155 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2006-11-04, 02:03 PM

i don't know where you are located, but i've heard the Silver Sensor Indoor Antenna has good results, it's not inexpesnive at all.
post #156 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2006-11-27, 01:59 PM

Northeast Oakville

I live in a 2 story house in Northeast Oakville. Considering I already have purchased a 6208 and get monthly service from Cogeco, are the OTA benefits worth it vs. paying an extra $10/month for a non-PVR HD box?

I have recently purchased a 2nd HDTV (and this one has an ATSC tuner unlike my first one) and am not sure that I can get a satisfactory experience with OTA HD unless I spend a lot of time and/or money.

Indoor antennas - even I can hook one of those up. Climbing on my roof, drilling holes through the wall of my house - not high up on my list of things I'd like to do (although as long as the life insurance is paid up, my wf might welcome the idea).

Is there a local shop that allows for the try before you buy experience and helps educate the noobs of the world (and I assume that they can't be posted so a PM would be fine)?
post #157 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2006-11-27, 09:48 PM

OTA Results - Oakville (3rd Line and Upper Middle Road)

I live at 3rd Line and Upper Middle Road in Oakville. I don't subscribe to cable or satellite so OTA reception is important to me.

Up until recently I was using a Radio Shack 15-1880 antenna and Samsung SIR-T451 HD receiver (bought at Circuit City in Amherst, NY) with pretty good results. However, I wanted better reception with fewer dropouts so I bit the bullet and bought the following equipment:

- Channel Master 4221 antenna (www.sensuz.com, approx $60 w/shipping)
- Winegard AP 4700 preamp (purchased via PayPal from Rich Wertman, a dealer in Buffalo NY, approx $65 w/shipping)

I went with an attic installation because my wife didn't want an antenna on our rooftop and I didn't feel comfortable about working on the roof.

None of this is groundbreaking stuff - I basically copied what worked for other people who have reported results on this site (thanks everyone).

Here's what I did:
- attached a piece of 1" PVC conduit (cut to length) to a joist in the attic.
- attached the antenna and the preamp to the PVC conduit.
- ran a 3' RG6 cable from the antenna to the "ant. input" jack on the preamp.
- ran a 12' RG6 cable from the "to power supply" jack on the preamp, connecting it to an approx. 35' RG6 cable that runs from an upstairs bedroom to the basement. The 35' RG6 was installed by a previous owner. I had to drill a hole in the ceiling of the bedroom closet so I could attach the 12' RG6 and the 35' RG6.
- where the 35' RG6 run ends in the basement, I installed the preamp's power supply.
- from the power supply, I ran 50' of RG6 to the SIR-T451 in the family room.
- positioned the antenna for optimal reception of both Toronto and Buffalo stations. I took my wife's cell phone into the attic and called her on the land line. She sat in front of the TV and reported on the signal strength of the stations while I moved the antenna. I could have used a compass but the trial and error method seems to have worked for us.

Here are the reception results, as of tonight (not including weather channels, duplicate channels, etc):

2-1 NBC 10 bars
4-1 CBS 10 bars
5-1 CBC 10 bars
7-1 ABC 10 bars
9-1 CTV 10 bars
23-1 The CW 10 bars
25-1 CBC(F) 7 bars
29-1 FOX 9 bars
43-1 PBS 10 bars
49-1 My TV 4-5 bars (frequent dropouts)
57-1 CITY 7 bars

My wife and I are very happy with the results. Thanks to everyone for all of the tips.
post #158 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2006-11-27, 10:37 PM

excellent results, and the word is that MYTV 49-1 is still running at a very lower power, so you have a good chance at getting that channel as well once they are running at full power.
post #159 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2006-11-28, 10:54 AM

Very helpful post... thank you.

I might have it much easier... the spot that the TV will eventually end up in would be our 2nd floor bedroom in which our closet has the attic access.

So, it sounds like I would need:

PVC pipe (presumably to mount the antenna and preamp and placed as high in the attic as possible)
Antenna
Preamp
1 3' length of RG6
1 unknown length of RG6 to connect the preamp and its power supply (probably located near the TV in my case)
1 short length of some sort of cable that goes from the power supply to the digital antenna input of my HDTV.

Or, I could simply rent an additional box and get more channels, but, from what has been posted here, PQ that is often surpassed by an OTA HD experience.
post #160 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2006-11-28, 11:51 AM

HI cannon fodder,

fyi, I like the stuff called "PVC conduit", as opposed to regular PVC pipe. PVC conduit is available in the electrical section at Home Depot. They also have PVC conduit clamps to attach the conduit to your attic joists. A 10' piece of conduit plus clamps should run you about $10.

The cable from the preamp power supply to your TV is RG6 cable (i.e., low loss coaxial cable), just like the others I mentioned in my post. Also available at Home Depot.

Best of luck.
post #161 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2006-12-18, 10:04 AM

CM4221 vs Rabbit Ears (3rd Line and Upper Middle Road)

FiguredMaple, when I used the Radioshack 15-1880 "rabbit ears" antenna I got the following:

CBS
CBC
ABC
WNGS (currently an ABC sub-channel at 7-2)
CTV
The CW
CBC(F)
PBS

I sometimes got FOX and NBC, but with frequent dropouts. Also I had to reposition the antenna sometimes in order to receive certain stations.

Now with the CM4221 and preamp I get all of the above channels plus the following, all with no dropouts:

NBC
Fox
MyTV
CITY

Even better, with the wide breadth of the CM4221 I no longer need to reposition the antenna when I'm channel surfing.

The only digital channel of note that I'm not getting is SUN-TV, but if i want to watch that channel I switch my TV to analog OTA mode.

I'm looking forward to getting OMNI1, OMNI2 and CTS next year.
post #162 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2006-12-18, 04:31 PM

Thumbs up

globaldiv,
I'm also in Oakville, North of Upper middle and West of Bronte.
Last Friday I purchased a 15-880 from The Source (Radio Shack) for $40 and have the same results as you did.

Thanks for posting your setup in detail.
In the next couple months I'll get an antenna for my attic.
post #163 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2006-12-20, 05:05 PM

Good luck with attic installation. PM me if you want a non-expert opinion
post #164 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2006-12-20, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldiv View Post
Now with the CM4221 and preamp I get all of the above channels plus the following, all with no dropouts:
What is the price difference between the $40 15-1880 and the CM4221 and preamp?
post #165 of 1367 (permalink) Old 2006-12-20, 09:58 PM

Hi Cannonfodder, check message #255 if you want some more info on my setup and where I bought my equipment.

Together, the CM4221 and Winegard AP4700 preamp were about $125. Cheers.

Tags
antenna , merger , signal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in