AB - Edmonton, Northern Alberta - OTA - Page 50 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #736 of 767 (permalink) Old 2015-05-20, 03:03 PM
Veteran

Yeah, after doing a quick visual inspection of my antenna, it has turned and is pointing directly north whereas it need to be pointing south east from my location. Sadly because of all the darn wind as of late, the antenna is still pointing the wrong direction. I may have to try early in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #737 of 767 (permalink) Old 2015-06-18, 11:49 PM
Rookie

HI,

It's been a while since anyone posted here, but I'm hoping someone can help me.
I'm in Riverdale, Edmonton and have had an RCA Outdoor Antenna (ANT751R) for over a year now,
and can't get the *&!$ thing working! Well, it was working for a while, and now it's not again...

It's an issue with my setup , I just don't know what... I recently replaced the transformer,
but still am not getting any signal (or just a tiny bit? according to my TV). I did get about
six channels in March when I last tried setting it up. What's changed? I took it down (don't
have it grounded, it's on my flat roof, therefore don't want to leave it up all the time).

Is is possible that water got into the coax and that's causing it not to work now?
Is it possible that now that there are leaves on the trees that's disrupting the signal?

I can't figure out why I HAD six channels and now can't get them anymore.

And I guess lastly, can someone recommend someone to come and actually install it/ ground
it so I don't keep having to take it down? There is actually a coax prewired up to the roof, so
this all should have been so easy, I don't know why it doesn't work.

Any help would be so appreciated!
post #738 of 767 (permalink) Old 2015-06-21, 10:59 PM
Rookie

Just set up an antenna on my roof (Philips SDV8622T ). It get's 6 channels clear as a bell. My old indoor TERK TV4 only got 3 or 4 channels depending on the day/ position. However, the notable omission is CTV. But I get Global clear, and I believe they are broadcast from the same tower? Is there an issue with CTV or does anyone have a suggestion?

post #739 of 767 (permalink) Old 2015-08-29, 01:17 PM
Rookie

Hi, I just moved to Edmonton near Whyte & 99 St and was looking for some advice on indoor antenna choices. I'm on the 3rd floor with windows facing north and east. I posted my tv fool report below. There's another 3 story apartment to the east and a laneway to the north. Thanks for any advice.

TV Fool
post #740 of 767 (permalink) Old 2015-08-30, 04:20 PM
Veteran

Welcome to Edmonton!

Best bet is to consult the antenna chart thread here http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/81-o...05-2014-a.html

I like the Terk (Zenith Silver Sensor clone) but apparently they are getting hard to find and / or expensive.

Terk Indoor HDTV Amplified Antenna | Indoor Antennas | Ratings & Reviews | TheSource.ca
post #741 of 767 (permalink) Old 2015-08-30, 05:45 PM
Rookie

Thanks, I think the Terk might be just what I'm looking for.
post #742 of 767 (permalink) Old 2016-02-09, 12:39 AM
Rookie

Advice please, antenna for Sherwood Park, AB??

Hi, I read the new member forums and everything but their seems to be too much info.
I live in Sherwood Park, AB and wish to buy an antenna and setup for my home.
Ideally would like to set antenna in attic but if needed can go on roof.
What antennas would you suggest for best signal for attic or outdoor mount?
Also, thinking of atsc signal converter and pvr. Is there anything else I should consider?
Thanks for any input!
post #743 of 767 (permalink) Old 2016-02-10, 08:57 PM
Rookie

Question Edmonton, AB: Do splitters reduce signal?

I'm a total klutz and newbie at this OTA business. I remember when a coat hanger stuck on the back of a tv would work, but now …

So - newbie dumb question: do the number of televisions connected to a single outdoor antenna reduce the strength of the signal to each of the televisions? What I mean is, if I increase from one television connected to the outdoor antenna, to a higher number such as would be found in an apartment building sharing a single rooftop antenna, does the signal decrease the more apartments are added to that antenna?
post #744 of 767 (permalink) Old 2016-02-10, 09:42 PM
Veteran

yes, when using conventional passive splitters, you reduce the signal by:

2 Way splitter-> signal power out of splitter is divided in half (theoretically -3 dB)
4 Way splitter-> signal power out of splitter is divided by 4 (theoretically -6 dB)
Actually is more like -3.5 dB, and -7dB for 2 way and 4 way splitters respectively.

However, if ya use a good quality preamp close to the antenna and before any other losses, to overcome the splitter and downlead losses, the impact of those losses is effectively eliminated.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #745 of 767 (permalink) Old 2016-02-10, 10:06 PM
Rookie

Hmmm, curious. So if I put up an external antenna on the roof of this older apartment building, which has long-ago wiring for antenna but now everyone uses cable or dsl, the signal would be reduced by each additional apartment which connected a tv to the old building wiring.

And as it's old, and no antenna exists on the roof now, I've got to assume that any preamp that might have been there is long gone. So sharing might not be such a good idea.
post #746 of 767 (permalink) Old 2016-02-10, 10:20 PM
Veteran

In an apartment building, or condo setting, they would have used a distribution system,
similar to cable TV... In Most cases, those systems are probably still there in some form,
just no longer functional due to neglect or no longer being maintained. So what you would actually run in to is anyone's guess.

post #747 of 767 (permalink) Old 2016-02-10, 10:20 PM
Veteran

Many people use a preamp for just one TV. It all depends on location and distance to stations. (See the OTA reception thread for your area.) The old wiring is probably no good due to decay and water ingress. In any event, you are looking at installing new wiring from the roof to the utility room or apartment. I assume permission has already been acquired from the landlord.

Another reason not to share an antenna is that it constitutes a cable system and a CATV license must be acquired from the CRTC. You can thank the cable company lobby for that.
post #748 of 767 (permalink) Old 2016-02-10, 10:41 PM
Rookie

Think I'll adjust to just servicing myself. (pun intended)

I don't even know what a preamp looks like, and as everything in the building is older, maybe something's there and maybe not. Probably not worth the trouble to go searching.

I'll see about setting up my antenna somewhere in the living room, or perhaps out on the balcony. Only difficulty is that the transmission I want is the furthest away (15 miles) and the tower is southeast, whereas my apartment faces northwest, so my own building is an obstacle to a direct transmission.

Anyway, probably better not to mess about with trying to serve everyone.
post #749 of 767 (permalink) Old 2016-02-10, 10:45 PM
Veteran

There is a good chance that a 15 mile distant station can be received with an indoor antenna. I would try that first.
post #750 of 767 (permalink) Old 2016-02-10, 10:56 PM
Veteran

Not to mention, check with your landlord or read your lease carefully first.
They probably don't want ya hanging antennas off the balcony, as it's possible it could
blow off, and hurt someone/something down below.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in