Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums - View Single Post - Shaw Direct Simsub discussion
View Single Post
post #28 of (permalink) Old 2011-05-05, 10:05 AM
PokerFace

Talking Simsubs are part of our Canadian 'Culture'

Note: I don't consider this a rant because my blood pressure hasn't risen during the typing of this post. This is a rational post about the reality of living in Canada...

You simsub rookies have a lot to learn. Rule #1 of recording is to always record the Canadian broadcast if there is a simsub scheduled. Even if the first 98% of the US show you are watching has no simsub, it doesn't mean that the folks at your cable company (generally through automated computer switching) won't realize that the simsub isn't working and then manually turn it on.

The Canadian channels don't like it when their simulcasts are ignored and will often call to complain. The TV channel folks complain to the guys at the top of the food chain, while your calls go to the guys at the bottom. Who do you think is listened to more often?

You can find next week promos on some Global shows like Rookie Blue.

I've experienced years of simsub errors (using Rogers Cable) and the guys at the cable companies spend hours (at least minutes) going through their automated system to try to predict where there might be a problem with upcoming simsubs and either program one in, or remove one that shouldn't be there. Unfortunately, there are far too many errors within the system that they miss. It was once estimated many, many, many, many years ago that Rogers only makes simsub errors about 1% of the time each year. That sounds good until you realize that 1% of more than a million simsubs is still at least 10,000 errors.

Getting Shaw subscribers to cancel their service all at once to protest the simsubs is far too difficult to coordinate than it should be. Shaw will just offer you a better price for your package for the next year if you promise to stay with them. Are you going to turn down a bargain if one is offered to you? I doubt it. That's just one reason why Shaw can do whatever it wants and keep on ticking ... off its subscribers.

Simultaneous cancellations (A.K.A.: simcans) are difficult to coordinate. You will need to organize a Union and have rotating leaders to make it more difficult for the Canadian companies to throw all the leaders in jail, or even worse ... force them to watch simsubs.

Global is also notorious for running its shows up until the very last second of the hour (instead of ending the shows a few minutes before the hour like many US broadcasters do, or at least did in the past) to squeeze in more commercials and make timer taping of other channels even more difficult (your clock has to be very accurate).

You do have a choice. You can choose to ignore US content on US channels and instead view whatever the Canadian channels are airing. If you have access to OTA broadcasts (even if you can only get some Canadian stations), at least you can avoid paying the Canadian cable and satellite companies to aggravate you further ... and the picture will be even better than cable or satellite (due to less compression).

You can choose to be aggravated, or you can choose to find US programming via other means. For House M.D., I now simply wait for one of my local Libraries to get the DVDs and then I borrow them for free. Others might choose to watch Global shows on the Internet (either on the Global site, or elsewhere), or might just buy the DVDs.

The more money you have, the easier it often is to get around the "evil" Canadian companies. I even buy DVDs from online US retailers to save the $10 (or more) that the Canadian distributors or stores charge as a gouging fee.

You know you live in a troubled country when it's quite often cheaper to buy DVDs and Blu-rays from the USA (including the extra shipping charges and not even taking the Canadian dollar into account), instead of buying the Canadian versions with "free" shipping.

Once again, God Bless America.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome