CBC and The Score complain to CRTC about TSN2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-09-15, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

CBC and The Score complain to CRTC about TSN2

Rivals want TSN2 kicked out of game

The CBC said “TSN does not have the authority under its licence to launch its proposed new channel,” and The Score says TSN shouldn't be able to sell new commercials on TSN2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-09-15, 08:05 AM
Member #1

blah, blah, blah. Competition is good and the CRTC should get out of the business of deciding what stations should and shouldn't be on air.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-09-15, 10:18 AM
Veteran

That's why I think TSN started this channel. They probably won't use it for many time shifting purposes once the CRTC drops the one station for each category rule. They probably just want a head start so when the rules are changed they can show more live programming, as well as talk shows.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-09-15, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB Josh View Post
That's why I think TSN started this channel. They probably won't use it for many time shifting purposes once the CRTC drops the one station for each category rule.
That's one of the fundamental principals of the licensing system. It could change, but I'd be surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB Josh View Post
They probably just want a head start so when the rules are changed they can show more live programming, as well as talk shows.
It's a lot of effort to get a head start on something that may never happen. I think they believe they've found a loophole where they can make some more money.

It was just a matter of time before the competiton complained. The CRTC never intended the license to allow a TSN2. It will be interesting to see what they do.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-09-15, 06:22 PM
Veteran

Someone needs to give the CBC a reality check. Or a funding cut!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-09-15, 06:53 PM
Member #1

Sadly the CBC and Score are just playing the CRTC game - Try and prove the station is competing with an existing station and block it.

If I was Score or CBC, I'd be doing the same thing.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-09-16, 04:52 PM

I doubt open competition is the answer. It certainly hasn't helped the financial sector, as this week's news clearly shows. And I'm not sure it has helped American television which, with very few notable exceptions, is pretty dismal.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-09-19, 07:18 PM

TSN should have to pay to license TSN2. Rules are rules.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-09-21, 12:31 PM

Thumbs down Doublespeak by TSN does NOT change the facts ...

The point is: TSN is reneging on their contract with the CFL, the purpose of which is to make Canadian Football League games available for viewing by Canadians ... ostensibly their logic is that they have contractual obligations to air the Ryder Cup (who determined which of their contractual broadcasts got booted to the second network?) Well, you know what? I like golf, but I want my CFL ... a) TSN2 is not available where I live, and b) if it was available, I should have to pay my cable company MORE to see a game that TSN is obligated to broadcast? The south end of the bull has evacuated!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-09-22, 04:28 PM

If TSN 2 is just their East/West version, they should not get more money for a channel with 90% re-run content. Simple as that. They want it both ways.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-09-24, 05:13 PM
Veteran

I thought I heard the CRTC was scheduled to have hearings about the genre protection this fall. Maybe I didn't.

I think they've found a loophole in the CRTC as well. I give them credit for that, I always like it when a network can outsmart them.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-09-24, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
blah, blah, blah. Competition is good and the CRTC should get out of the business of deciding what stations should and shouldn't be on air.
Exactly.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-09-24, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozza View Post
TSN should have to pay to license TSN2. Rules are rules.
What should they have to pay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris View Post
If TSN 2 is just their East/West version, they should not get more money for a channel with 90% re-run content. Simple as that. They want it both ways.
I guess Rogers agrees with you. Good for them. It gives customers a choice.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-09-25, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I thought I heard the CRTC was scheduled to have hearings about the genre protection this fall. Maybe I didn't.
Actually, genre protection was discussed at the hearings that the CRTC held in April regarding specialty channels and BDU's. The decision was to come down in the fall supposedly, so maybe that is what you are thinking of?! September has come and gone and still no decision, it has been 5 months since this damn hearing ended and still no decision- what the heck is taking so long to release the decision. There must be some backroom politics of some sort going on for it to take this long. I am eager to see what rule changes they introduce, if any. Oh well, maybe something will come down in October?!

Regarding the topic of discussion, if the CRTC lifts the genre protection which I am hoping they do, then CBC and The Score don't have a logical complaint. Canadian channels will be allowed to compete with one another meaning TSN2 will be allowed to exist. Under current rules they do have a basis for a complaint as TSN2 is essentially TSN-West but I don't see the CRTC doing anything about it.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 2008-09-25, 04:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayitSimple View Post
Actually, genre protection was discussed at the hearings that the CRTC held in April regarding specialty channels and BDU's. The decision was to come down in the fall supposedly, so maybe that is what you are thinking of?!
Yep that was what I was thinking. I knew I heard the rules could change.

Tags
cbc , crtc , the score , tsn , tsn2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in