SPACE: The Imagination Station okayed for HD by CRTC - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 234 (permalink) Old 2010-07-31, 10:46 AM
Veteran

I've said it time and time again. Canada is absoultely pathetic when it comes to HD offerings. CTV, Canwest, Astral and Corus are dragging their feet launching anything in HD. Look at CTV for example; they are launching two new discovery channels this fall BOTH IN SD only. What channel launches in SD only in 2010? I'll tell you what channel; a Canadian channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 234 (permalink) Old 2010-07-31, 11:34 AM

I canceled cable over a year ago because of issues like this. Space in HD is one of the few channels that would really tempt me to resubscribe.
post #48 of 234 (permalink) Old 2010-07-31, 12:26 PM

The irony is that there are relatively more French Canadian channels in HD compared to the English Canadian ones.

post #49 of 234 (permalink) Old 2010-07-31, 01:57 PM
Veteran

CTV, Canwest, Astral and Corus may be the foot draggers but it's the CRTC that are the the enablers. All we need is even the threat of the American SyFy HD channel being allowed in Canada and you'll see Space HD the next day!

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #50 of 234 (permalink) Old 2010-07-31, 07:05 PM

if SyFy did somehow come to canada stargate and most of there other shows that are not produced by nbc universal would probably be blacked out up here
post #51 of 234 (permalink) Old 2010-08-01, 01:56 AM
Eug
Veteran

I send an email too. And I got the same generic initial response.

Thank you for e-mailing us at SPACE! This is an automated response to let you know that we have received your e-mail and will be responding to it shortly. We make every effort to read and respond to every e-mail individually; however, due to the volume of correspondence we receive every day, this may take some time. In the meantime, please refer to our FAQ or schedule.

I wonder if they'll actually respond to me.

BTW, the same answer mentioned earlier is still listed in their FAQ. In fact, it's the very first entry in their FAQ. Obviously it must be a very popular question (not surprisingly).

Q: When is SPACE going to go High Definition?
A: We know all too well how amazing our programming would look on high-def, and as such we are definitely looking into HD for the future. We don’t have an immediate timeline yet, but trust us, when we do - you’ll be the first to know!

I mentioned in my comment to them that yes I do watch first run shows in SD on Space, but also tend to not watch their rerun movies even if I haven't seen them. Letterboxed movies from a bad print look terrible from Space, on a large HDTV.
post #52 of 234 (permalink) Old 2010-08-01, 03:25 AM
Veteran

Now if the crtc was smart they would give the people what they want and allow syfy in HD only. That way there would be no black outs as it would not be competing with any thing else(other than wherehouse 13 and Haven which air on City tv and Showcase in HD although syfy could let the canadian rights lapse then they could show them again on the newly launched syfy HD canada)
post #53 of 234 (permalink) Old 2010-08-01, 04:12 AM

That a lot to ask for the CRTC to do something smart. After all this is the idiotic institution that considered for a long time to try to impose Cancon quotas on the Internet! lolll
post #54 of 234 (permalink) Old 2010-08-01, 01:36 PM

Good luck getting a response. The comment on their faq page has been there for at least 3 years.
They probably have no intention of providing a Space HD unless they feel that it will make them money by substantialy increasing their advertising revenue. The only way that is going to happen is if people stop watching the SD programming.
BTW trying to post a comment of complaint about the lack of Space HD on the blog on the Space website is futile. They don't allow the post from appearing. Another clear indication of their lack of interest in offering Space HD.
post #55 of 234 (permalink) Old 2010-08-01, 05:04 PM
Veteran

I am surprised that their moderators would censor free speech on their website. We should all stop watching Space, and either download the mkv files off the net, or buy/rent the blu-rays when they come out on DVD. This is what I have done. The only problem is that Space is available on Shaw with the standard digital package. If you had to buy it like you do with Bell and Shaw Direct, maybe Space would be forced to go HD to get customers back.
post #56 of 234 (permalink) Old 2010-08-01, 11:05 PM

Even the History channel is available in HD
post #57 of 234 (permalink) Old 2010-08-02, 05:39 AM
Rookie

HI! Did you have resolved this problem?
post #58 of 234 (permalink) Old 2010-08-02, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpy27 View Post
We should all stop watching Space, and either download the mkv files off the net, or buy/rent the blu-rays when they come out on DVD. This is what I have done.
Yeah, me too. I've been using my AppleTV to buy stuff like Stargate and Dr. Who (in HD) from iTunes, even though I already have recorded them on my PVR. The only flaw (I think) is that since SPACE/CTV own the Canadian rights to these shows, I think they may still get a cut of the money spent on purchasing these. Anyone know if this is correct?
post #59 of 234 (permalink) Old 2010-08-02, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamobama View Post
HI! Did you have resolved this problem?
No, we did not have resolved this problem.

How can we have resolved it? The problem needs to be resolved by the people who manage the Space Channel, not us.
post #60 of 234 (permalink) Old 2010-08-02, 09:26 PM

Sorry for you guys....
I dont understand why ZTÉLÉ ( French version of Space ) has been in HD for a long time when Space in still in SD...
One of the few advantages of speaking French.......
Almost ALL of the French specialy channels are in HD....
I dont understand....

BEV 9242, 6141. Sony KDL-60NX720, Sony KDS-60A2000, Sony KDL-V32XBR2, Sony STR-DA777ES, Sony STR-DA5000ES, Cerwin Vega.

Tags
space channel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in