CRTC prohibits ExpressVu and Star Choice from account splitting - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-10-20, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

CRTC prohibits ExpressVu and Star Choice from account splitting

In a public notice issued today, the CRTC agreed and informed Canadian Direct-to-Home satellite television providers they must stop the practice of Account splitting.

Please note: This is a follow up to an earlier thread entitled Account Stacking Issue: CRTC, CAB, SC and BEV . Please see that thread for a discussion of what Account stacking is or check out the article above.

Also for reference, an earlier article: CAB wants CRTC to stop Star Choice from account splitting

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-10-20, 06:49 PM

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/No...pb2006-133.htm

Line 31. of this decision states:
As noted above, the Commission suspended consideration of the Videotron complaint pending the outcome of this policy proceeding. The Commission will allow both Videotron and Star Choice an opportunity to provide additional submissions before making its decision with regard to the complaint.

So this is not set in stone, correct?

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-10-20, 08:03 PM

CRTC say *C must stop account splitting

I guess the days of having a second satellite dish on ones cabin will be numbered because of this decision.

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-10-20, 09:45 PM

Thumbs down

Are you refering to this decision?

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/No...pb2006-133.htm

Main point:
Having considered the record of the proceeding, the Commission determines that the practice described above is inconsistent with the objectives of the broadcasting policy for Canada as set out in the Broadcasting Act. In order to ensure that the practice ceases, the Commission is amending the applicable distribution and linkage rules, so that when a Class 1, Class 2 or direct-to-home (DTH) licensee provides a Canadian programming service to a single subscriber at two or more separate dwellings owned or occupied by the same subscriber, the licensee must remit a wholesale fee to the Canadian programming service on a per-dwelling basis.

Highlights:

9. (...) ExpressVu added that Star Choice has implemented an appropriate business rule to accommodate this contemporary reality, with the stipulation that such simultaneous viewing take place only in residences owned or rented and, in all cases, used by the same family. Although ExpressVu does not now have in place a vacation home policy that reflects this approach, it argued that it should not be precluded from adopting such a policy in the future.

In this regard, the Commission considers that it would be difficult for a BDU to ensure that service received at a second location is purely a substitute for the customer’s viewing at his or her primary residence.
In addition, the Commission considers that it may not be possible for all programming undertakings to adequately address the practice during the course of contractual negotiations with BDUs that now employ it or those that may seek to employ it in future. Those that have not entered into, or that for reasons such as lack of bargaining power are unable to enter into, affiliation agreements that address account stacking could be deprived of a portion of the revenues that they would otherwise receive. This reduction in revenues has the potential to negatively affect the programming service’s ability to fulfil its programming commitments, and thus to contribute to the attainment of the cultural objectives of the Broadcasting Act and to the Canadian broadcasting system in general.
Regarding the various requests made by the NBRS in the event that the Commission determined that account stacking is not acceptable, Star Choice, as well all other BDUs, will be required by way of the applicable distribution and linkage rules to remit to the NBRS and other programming services the same wholesale fee for each dwelling in question, whether that fee has been established by Commission decision or contractually between the parties.

Technically, I think the decision just states that if BDU's DO offer "2nd location service", they need to pay the programmers for two seperate accounts. Therefore, its conceivable that Star Choice could continue the service, and charge an extra rate for the 2nd location.
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-10-20, 10:52 PM
Veteran

This makes no sense since they do not know where your second or third receiver, etc. is located. All they are doing is stopping SC from providing you with a free dish for your second location.
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-10-21, 10:47 AM

Federal industry minister Maxime Bernier is going to trash the CRTC anyway. Free market for all.
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-10-21, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchoice View Post
This makes no sense since they do not know where your second or third receiver, etc. is located. All they are doing is stopping SC from providing you with a free dish for your second location.
I don't think they "provide you with a free dish" now for your section location. I've been trying to get one for the cottage, and the cheapest I've found it is $150.

P

Panny 47wx52, DMR-e80*C DSR500x2, XBOX 360, Toshiba 26hf84, LG 37LC2D
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-10-21, 02:03 PM

They do provide you with a free dish for a second location. As long as the cabin or RV insurance is under the same name as the *C account. You will have to fax them a copy of your insurance/registration. Call them and ask for infos about the "home away from home" program. Otherwise, I believe that The Source is selling their dishes for 80$.
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-10-21, 02:06 PM

Arrow

This effectively only stops *C and EV from marketing services at two addresses under one account. How are they going to stop subscribers from installing a second dish at their cottage and transporting their receivers? Also, how are they doing with real account splitting? (i.e. Different people sharing a single account in multiple residences.)
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-10-21, 02:19 PM
Veteran

Personally I think this is a simple case of the cable companies crying foul because they can't easily compete with such a service. What about the Internet service that cable companies provide? Satellite can't easily compete with that either. It seems to me that both technologies offer their own advantages and each should be allowed to market them. I see no harm in someone watching their legal television service at their cottage or RV when away from home.

Account splitting is another matter, and it seems the CRTC has decided that in order to deal with that, they must eliminate the other. Assumed guilty I guess.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-10-21, 10:00 PM

LOL
How can they verify ???????
BEV system is smartcards
and STARCHOICE is chip embeded even if the CRTC agreeded to stop that practice there are no ways to verify on wich dish a system is installed
post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-10-22, 09:12 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky View Post
LOL
How can they verify ???????
BEV system is smartcards
and STARCHOICE is chip embeded even if the CRTC agreeded to stop that practice there are no ways to verify on wich dish a system is installed
As long as it's only *AT ONE RESIDENCE AT A TIME*, there's probably no problem. If the satellite companies get creative, they could do something like so...
- sell 2 dishes+receivers
- activate the unit at home, but not at the cottage
- customer logs on to satellite service website and selects choice B
- customer drives to cottage and turns on his TV
- the home account gets de-activated, and 1 second later, the cottage satellite receiver gets activated
- customer drives to cottage and watches satellite TV at cottage
- just before leaving for the drive home, customer logs on to satellite service website and selects choice A
- the cottage account gets de-activated, and 1 second later, the home satellite receiver gets activated
- customer drives home and turns on his TV

Anybody see anything wrong with this model that I don't? Very similar in concept to some software licences that allowed a copy at work and a copy at home, as long as only one was running at any time.
post #13 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-10-22, 03:42 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooloose View Post
Personally I think this is a simple case of the cable companies crying foul because they can't easily compete with such a service. ...
Using that logic, the CRTC should also ban VOD since satellite cannot offer it. I think that the broadcasters also wanted the practice banned since it cost them revenue. The cable companies naturally lined up behind them because it was also to their advantage. The reality is, there is no practical way to stop the practice of account splitting between residences with satellite.
post #14 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-10-22, 03:48 PM
Digital Sage

If the CRTC threatens to pull BEV's license then you will have a solution.

Attach the damn STB to the phone jack and problem is solved.

I think Bell should be familiar with telephone technology.
post #15 of 74 (permalink) Old 2006-10-22, 10:15 PM

The phone line won't solve anything for determined people....I believe for a fee you can have the same phone # at the cottage (Business's do this all the time)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in