Cartoon, BBC Canada, FYI, Fashion TV gone from Bell/Telus Sat, Dec. 5th 2019 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dr.Dave
  • 1 Post By mtlguy68

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-10-13, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Cartoon, BBC Canada, FYI, Fashion TV gone from Bell/Telus Sat, Dec. 5th 2019

EDIT by Dr.Dave: So far these channels are only being dropped by Bell satellite. Telus just resells Bell satellite.

From the Telus site:

BBC Canada Channel Update
As of December 5th, 2019, the BBC Canada channel will no longer be available due to a recent channel provider change. As such, this channel will no longer be available on its own or within the following packages:

Ultimate Theme Pack
Movies and More Theme Pack
Variety 2 Theme Pack

Cartoon Network Channel Update
As of December 5th, 2019, the Cartoon Network channel will no longer be available due to a recent channel provider change. As such, this channel will no longer be available on its own or within the following packages:

Ultimate Theme Pack
Movies and More Theme Pack
Family 1 Theme Pack

FYI Channel Update
As of December 5th, 2019, the FYI channel will no longer be available due to a recent channel provider change. As such, this channel will no longer be available on its own or within the following packages:

Ultimate Theme Pack
Variety Theme Pack
Lifestyle 2 Theme Pack

Fashion Television Channel Update
As of December 5th, 2019, the Fashion Television channel will no longer be available due to a recent channel provider change. As such, this channel will no longer be available on its own or within the following package:

Lifestyle 2 Theme Pack

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/...amming_updates

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2019-10-14 at 01:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-10-13, 09:21 PM
Veteran

Looks like Telus is pretty good at taking away channels and raising prices. Telus just resells Bell satellite and it is the same. That's part of the reason I got rid of Bell.

Are all these channels actually shutting down or are they just being dropped by Telus? "Due to a recent channel provider change" does not make that clear. If they are actually shutting down, all I can say is, it's about time. BBC Canada stopped airing anything worth watching from the BBC or BBC America many years ago. The others aren't much better.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-10-14, 09:33 AM

I never watched any of these channels.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-10-14, 01:03 PM

They are listed on the Telus Satellite section as being removed on December 5th, and that post is dated September 30th. The Optik TV section makes no mention of any channel removals.

Cogeco - Mix 40 with TiVo T6 DVR & 2 TiVo Minis, UltraFibre 360; Rogers - LG G7 ThinQ; Koodo - Wireless Home Phone
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-10-14, 01:16 PM

Just a clarification - there is no evidence that these channels are shutting down. It looks like are being dropped by Bell satellite. Telus just resells Bell satellite. There is no mention of the channels being removed from Telus Optik TV. If the channels were shutting down, Telus would have posted messages there as well.

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/...amming_updates

It's a little confusing since Telus used the same wording as when a channel is shutting down, but in this case the "channel provider" is Bell satellite.

The other reason that I think it is specific to Bell Satellite, that there are 2 different channel owners: Cartoon Network, BBC Canada and FYI are owned by Corus and Fashion TV is owned by Bell Media. The odds that both these 2 companies both chose to shut down channels on Dec. 5 seem very unlikely - I could see a month-end date as a possible coincidence.

This is also being discussed in the Bell Satellite TV Channel Thread where the most likely reason is that Bell is removing these less popular Standard Definition channels to make room for a new HD channel.

EDIT: I see denben73 also posted as I was typing this.
denben73 likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-10-14, 03:17 PM
Veteran

It sounds like Bell is dropping them due to being in SD. Chances are that Bell is dropping Fashion TV both because it is in SD and due to channel carriage ratios placed on BDUs by the CRTC. If the broadcasters have not invested in HD upgrades for these channels by now then it's probably time to shut them down anyway. BBC and FYI were doing subscribers a disservice by airing HD shows letterboxed in SD. I resent having to pay for these zombie channels*.

*zombie channel - A channel that has very low investment in programming and technology but makes a profit from subscriber fees by being carried in large programming packages by most BDUs. To paraphrase, a dead channel that stays alive by sucking the life out of living channels and subscribers.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-10-14, 03:47 PM

BBC Canada is available in HD, just not with Bell.
nfitz likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-10-14, 11:57 PM
Veteran

It may be in HD on Rogers. That doesn't make much difference though. Crappy programming in HD is still crappy programming. Anything from BBC UK or BBC America I've watched in the past few years has been on other channels. I don't know if BBC Canada has created any new programming of its own or with BBC. I believe other Canadian channels such as CBC have made new programs in conjunction with BBC.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-10-15, 09:13 AM
Veteran

It sounds like this is less about the channels shutting down and more about Bell simply not wanting to carry some low subscriber options on their satellite service, so they can make room for something else.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-10-15, 11:25 AM

BBC Canada is indeed in HD on Rogers Ignite platform, not sure about their legacy service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in