CosmoTV and IFC to shut down Sept. 30, 2019 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 2019-07-28, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

CosmoTV and IFC to shut down Sept. 30, 2019

"As of September 30, 2019, Independent Film Channel (IFC) and Cosmopolitan TV (CosmoTV) will cease broadcasting in Canada. This decision was made by Corus Entertainment...."

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-20257

----

Due to content provider changes, as of September 30, 2019, CosmoTV/IFC channel will no longer be available on Optik TV.

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/...ervice-updates

Related thread:
Corus is going to Cut Specialty Channels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 2019-07-30, 08:22 PM

Will there be anything new going in their place?

...this is a signature...
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 2019-07-30, 10:09 PM

No they are just being shut down. I was subscribed to IFC but decided to FLEX it out on my IGNITE TV after learning it was shutting down to a channel I don’t really care a lot about. I only did that because I had all of the channels I wanted already and I had to pick something. Maybe a better channel will be offered to FLEX it out again for in my my package someday.

Last edited by wmjfoley85; 2019-07-30 at 10:54 PM.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 2019-07-31, 11:19 AM

Channels felt like Fashion Television-level jokes on paper. IFC's current original programming is owned by Bell anyway.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 2019-08-05, 01:07 AM
Rookie

Absolutely devastated. We knew this day would come. What's next? Bell Media gonna shut down FT & Book, too?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 2019-08-05, 10:26 AM

Bell Media should shut down Book and Fashion. They are a waste of channel space, and don't provide any HD feeds.
Kloraff likes this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 2019-08-05, 10:13 PM

I had Book Televsion. I agree though, I didn’t even have it all that long before I got rid of it. Talk about a pointless tv channel.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 2019-08-06, 07:47 AM
Veteran

Bell will keep them around so long as the basically negligable cost of running them is less than they bring in. It's not like they're putting money or effort into them.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 2019-08-06, 10:07 AM

95% could be shut down tomorrow. Unfortunately no test pattern is available to watch like it was back in the fifties.
Nanuuk likes this.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 2019-08-07, 07:46 AM
PFD

Those channels meant something back when they first came out...when was it late 90s? The so-called Digital Package. IFC, Book TV, Fashion TV, Sex TV, Drive In, Scream. But they lost their appeal quickly after a few years when their owners decided to cut back on new programming. In the end they all became CSI channels. I used to really like Drive In back in the day, lots of good culty 60s/70s films.
andyk likes this.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 2019-08-16, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbar View Post
Bell Media should shut down Book and Fashion. They are a waste of channel space, and don't provide any HD feeds.
That'll never happen. They both make money from carriage fees so why throw away money?
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 2019-08-16, 10:30 PM
Veteran

Funny thing is Cosmo and Fashion are in the same theme pack with TBayTel.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 2019-08-18, 10:02 AM
Veteran

Sometimes I wonder why the owners shut down these channels and not just re-brand them?Its harder to get a licence for a channel, when you already have one?

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 2019-08-18, 11:18 AM
Veteran

I believe they bid on these channels to prevent an incursion of US channels. They played the 'Canadian Culture' card knowing full well there wasn't enough Canadian content. Now they are shutting them down because the channels aren't mandatory and not enough of the public is subscribing led by the exodus of people who prefer to stream their content. And they remain content by continuing to freeze out US channels.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 2019-08-18, 12:15 PM
Veteran

CRTC rules and the market have changed since these channels were first licensed. Specialty channels are no longer required to adhere to genre requirements so licensing a station by genre can less easily be used to exclude a US channel. The CRTC was always reluctant to license US stations for carriage but it is less likely to do so now.

Media ownership is now concentrated in the hands of fewer owners to usually also own BDUs so they can effectively block carriage of US stations on their own. If a popular new station starts up in the US, they just sign licensing agreements with the US owner and rebrand one of their existing stations.

Obtaining carriage is much more difficult than obtaining a license. Independent broadcasters are dwindling not so much due to lack of content as lack of carriage. That's partly due to a glut of channels but also due to media concentration. The major broadcasters just make carriage and sufficient subscriber levels difficult to obtain and then wait for the channel to fail outright or buy it at fire sale prices.
Tridus likes this.

Tags
corus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in