Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

HD Channels ignoring safe area

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Plate-O 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm noticing that certain channels are broadcasting 16:9 content that ends up getting clipped unless the TV is in pixel-perfect mode. This was especially noticeable during this years playoff run on CBC Vancouver. I've also seen this issue with material originating from NBC Sports Network (mainly KING5). It's annoying to have to switch to pixel-perfect mode for certain channels and then back for others.

Anyone else notice this?

#2 ·
It's discussed in post 2 of the following FAQ:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/76074-faq-widescreen-tv-stretch-modes.html

I leave my TV on 0% overscan and don't encounter any issues since almost everything I watch is HD. The only time I recall issues is if watching an upconverted programme and the "VBI-like information" (White lines) comes up. Is that what you're encountering?

There aren't really any "safe zones" any more. As you can see that FAQ was written over 10 years ago...

#3 ·
I've tried leaving the TV on pixel-perfect mode full-time, but had to stop because of the artifacts you mentioned. Even when those weren't present, the picture still seemed a bit off. For example, there would be a sliver of the image peeking out from underneath the ticker bars. Or the station logo would appear to be to close to the middle of the screen.

It seems to vary depending on the channel. In my area there are more channels that tailor their broadcast for overscan rather than pixel-perfect, so I ended up switching back.

I wish this sort of thing was standardized so I could leave it on one setting and forget about it.

#4 ·
I don't notice any issues with HD either. The TV is set to 0% overscan 99.9 % of the time. That includes all devices like PVR, HTPC and Chromecast. The only time I've ever seen any artifacts is on a channel airing legacy NTSC source material. 16x9 mode includes a small amount of overscan and may be necessary to get rid of NTSC artifacts.

For example, there would be a sliver of the image peeking out from underneath the ticker bars. Or the station logo would appear to be to close to the middle of the screen.
That's intentionally done by the broadcaster. Ticker bars do not always go to the bottom of the screen. Some stations that are cropped, instead of letterboxed, for SD cable put the bug where it will still be visible on a cropped image.

pixel-perfect mode...
Don't know why this would be used for TV. It's intended for use with game boxes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.