HD Channels ignoring safe area - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-07-12, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

HD Channels ignoring safe area

I'm noticing that certain channels are broadcasting 16:9 content that ends up getting clipped unless the TV is in pixel-perfect mode. This was especially noticeable during this years playoff run on CBC Vancouver. I've also seen this issue with material originating from NBC Sports Network (mainly KING5). It's annoying to have to switch to pixel-perfect mode for certain channels and then back for others.

Anyone else notice this?

Last edited by Plate-O; 2019-07-12 at 10:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-07-12, 10:51 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
It's discussed in post 2 of the following FAQ:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-...tch-modes.html

I leave my TV on 0% overscan and don't encounter any issues since almost everything I watch is HD. The only time I recall issues is if watching an upconverted programme and the "VBI-like information" (White lines) comes up. Is that what you're encountering?

There aren't really any "safe zones" any more. As you can see that FAQ was written over 10 years ago...

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-07-16, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I've tried leaving the TV on pixel-perfect mode full-time, but had to stop because of the artifacts you mentioned. Even when those weren't present, the picture still seemed a bit off. For example, there would be a sliver of the image peeking out from underneath the ticker bars. Or the station logo would appear to be to close to the middle of the screen.

It seems to vary depending on the channel. In my area there are more channels that tailor their broadcast for overscan rather than pixel-perfect, so I ended up switching back.

I wish this sort of thing was standardized so I could leave it on one setting and forget about it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-07-16, 08:54 PM
Veteran

I don't notice any issues with HD either. The TV is set to 0% overscan 99.9 % of the time. That includes all devices like PVR, HTPC and Chromecast. The only time I've ever seen any artifacts is on a channel airing legacy NTSC source material. 16x9 mode includes a small amount of overscan and may be necessary to get rid of NTSC artifacts.

Quote:
For example, there would be a sliver of the image peeking out from underneath the ticker bars. Or the station logo would appear to be to close to the middle of the screen.
That's intentionally done by the broadcaster. Ticker bars do not always go to the bottom of the screen. Some stations that are cropped, instead of letterboxed, for SD cable put the bug where it will still be visible on a cropped image.

Quote:
pixel-perfect mode...
Don't know why this would be used for TV. It's intended for use with game boxes.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-07-17, 03:51 PM

While many think HD eliminated ‘safe’ zones, maybe it’s the producers of particular programs not adhering to yes, current, safe-rules:
https://extremereach.com/blog/unders...its-important/

Last edited by 57; 2019-07-17 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-07-18, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Don't know why this would be used for TV. It's intended for use with game boxes.
Sorry, I meant 0% overscan mode.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in