PBS "American Masters" - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-04-23, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

PBS "American Masters"

Hi All:

I've discovered a segment of the PBS series "American Masters" that I'd like to watch. However, the series is not broadcast on Shaw via KCTS, and looking online shows that the series is not available in my area due to rights issues.

I know I could use a VPN to access the series via computer, but I'd rather not.

Does anyone know who's the Canadian rights holder, and whether the series is being broadcast at all in Canada?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-04-23, 02:05 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I have watched many of the American Masters series on PBS. Many of these series are shown at various times on the various PBS channels. In some cases you may need to wait a few months to see a particular item. For example, I used to have PBS Seattle and PBS Buffalo available in my (grandfathered) package, but Rogers wanted to charge a far bit for timeshifting, so now I only get PBS Buffalo and simply wait for my favourites to come around (Endeavour, Vera, A.M., Nature, Nova, Independent Lens, etc.)

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-04-23, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Hi 57:

Many thanks.

It seems that patience is the word.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-04-24, 02:28 PM
Veteran

@57 , The time shifted US HD networks are available separately for $3/mo. Not sure if it's currently advertised as they often bundle it with Canadian HD networks for $6 and in other, more expensive, packages.

@Camera.Ken , PBS stations differ on how often and when they air reruns of American Masters. It might be worthwhile to get the time shifted station.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-04-27, 11:52 AM

CK if you watch PBS alot maybe you would want to become a member then you can get streaming. I think it would work in Canada. You have to be a member at a special level but not too expensive, I think like $5/month. KCTS has that show on streaming:

https://kcts9.org/programs/american-masters
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-04-27, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Hi Bayguy: Many thanks for the suggestion. However, according to KCTS' FAQ's:

Due to rights restrictions, all PBS streaming video — including Passport — is available only within the United States.
KCTS 9, and other providers like PBS, Amazon, BBC and Netflix, use “geo-blocking,” a practice that limits people in one country or area from accessing online content in another. We would love to offer you access to your favorite programs online as well as on-air, but we have legal and licensing limitations on many shows that prevent KCTS 9 from streaming certain PBS content into Canada. We wish it were otherwise, and we’re working to change these arrangements whenever possible.

I'm still curious as to who owns the Canadian rights.

And I've set up a reminder to check KCTS' schedule regularly.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-04-27, 12:14 PM

I looked at PBS.org when this thread first started and saw the streaming link, but got the message: "We're sorry, but this video is not available in your region due to rights restrictions."

I just looked at the link and the FAQ says:

I am a Canadian donor to the station? Am I eligible for KCTS 9 Passport?
Due to rights restrictions, all PBS streaming video — including Passport — is available only within the United States....

To answer the other question: I think most PBS-produced content is not licensed to Canadian channels, although some content is licensed from other sources such as BBC to both PBS and Canadian channels.

EDIT: I see @Camera.Ken posted at the same time I did. I also looked at the time-shifting option before it was mentioned, but although Shaw offers PBS Detroit, which currently airs the program, it's not available in HD and pretty expensive, so I didn't mention it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-04-27, 12:22 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
There were a couple of occasions years ago that I missed an episode of Vera, or some other programme and I did stream it, using a downloadable, free, extension in my browser. I'm assuming this simply blocked the fact that you were in Canada, or provided a US IP. I haven't had to do that lately and I'm not sure if that still works. It was called "MediaHint."

A.M. is currently on the Buffalo PBS channel, but there were always variations between Buffalo and Seattle. Also, Motorweek is only available in SD on a channel that I no longer get...

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-04-28, 01:41 PM

Okay sorry I thought maybe if you were a member you could get Passport even if you were in Canada. That's wierd that you can't even for shows that aren't on Cdn stations. I guess its easier for PBS to say "no Passport for Canadians" then figure out which shows you can watch in Canada and have ppl angry b'cuz they signed up for Passport but can't get everything.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-04-28, 02:10 PM

If PBS Passport were made available to Canadians, I’d be among the first to start donating again. I suspect many Canadians stopped their donations, because they are ineligible for Passport. I pay my television provider extra just so I can have both KCTS and WGBH in HD.

I left Shaw, because their eastern PBS feed was not offered in HD for many years, while the other major US networks were. Apparently WTVS in HD is coming to Shaw cable in May area at long last, but I’ve since discovered WGBH and KCTS are far better choices, as would be WNED.

Telus 4K PVR & 2 wireless boxes; switched from Shaw for more HD and 4K channels, 3 AppleTVs
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-04-28, 02:38 PM
Veteran

WNED has gone downhill for Canadians in recent years, at least on BDUs. They air a lot of pledge drives on the HD channel and relegate a significant amount of other programing to SD subchannels. That includes reruns and legacy programming. Other PBS stations may be doing the same. It would be nice if we could get PBS subchannels on BDUs but they cannot be bothered. Geo-blocking Passport is just another way to shortchange Canadians. I doubt there is much in the way of programming rights issues. There once was a lot of overlap with TVO but I'm not seeing much of that lately. A few CBC or British programs may be affected.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-05-01, 09:49 PM

I wish we could get WGBH b'cuz that is where so many shows we watch come from but we lost it when we had to move to Shaw Direct.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in