copywrite infringement in error - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-12-10, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

copywrite infringement in error

Anyone ever get a notice from their ISP saying you have DL something that you never did?

Says on Dec 08 at 0611 i downloaded a Fox show called "The Resident" S02E5.
First of all, i have until this notice never even heard of this show before. Second, says i used BitTorrent but I do not have this
program installed on my computer.

In the extremely rare times i may torrent something it would never be in the open but thru a VPN. With all the new streaming sites these days
i see no point in torrenting so was surprised to see this notice arrive.

I guess i have to dig into the router settings and change the wifi password. Pain in the butt as i have a lot of devices i would have to change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-12-10, 04:05 PM
Veteran

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-12-10, 05:03 PM

Have received them also but ignore them. Prosecution not legal (yet) in Canada.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-12-10, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blintok View Post
Second, says i used BitTorrent but I do not have this program installed on my computer...I guess i have to dig into the router settings and change the wifi password. Pain in the butt as i have a lot of devices i would have to change.
BitTorrent is the protocol used by all torrent programs, so that may be what the letter was saying.

Do not reboot your router. I think the email has to include the IP address of the infraction, so you should be able to confirm if that is currently your address and possibly how long that address has been assigned.

If the IP address is different and you've had that address since before that infraction, you can prove it wasn't you. Time-stamped print-outs or screen-dumps would be a good idea.

Don't click on any links in the email and don't reply to the author of the letter. If you wish to dispute the IP address, you can contact your ISP.

@jacjames - A Reverse Class Action Suit is in progress. The copyright act also allows for fines, although I don't think they've ever been imposed.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-12-11, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dr.Dave.

The letter did have my IP address and did mention me by name. The letter listed the name of program i allegedly torrented and the date and time.
The router (Telus. T3200 or close to that) said the uptime has been 18days. Like i mentioned until the day of that letter i did not know the program they
say i DL existed.

The list of devices connected showed all the hardwired and WIFI connected devices. I have 5 NEST devices(3 indoor cams. 1 outdoor and a Nest protect) An iPhone. iPad.
KOBO reader. A 4790k pc, 8700k pc and playstation pro connected by wire. Same for Roku and apple tv. oh and a Qnap NAS hardwired. I also have a macbook air and Acer aspire laptop.

I have changed the wifi password and reconnected all my devices. Many months ago i lent the wifi to a neighbour. I did not give them the password but entered it into the laptop. This person
was supposedly moving out shortly and i do see new people living there now. I had been checking the router every few weeks to see if any strange devices connect but all was good.

But last night i did see an unknown desktop computer connected to wifi. That is why i changed the password. That should be it then? No more mr. niceguy lending out wifi. Changing the password would
have kicked them off the wifi?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-12-11, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Many months ago i lent the wifi to a neighbour. I did not give them the password but entered it into the laptop.
I also learned this lesson the same way. Letter from Warner Brothers, said I had Downloaded Fantastic Beasts Movie in 3D....Hmmmm. I had total forgot that the new neighbors had moved in a few weeks before and being Mr Niceguy, I gave them my WiFi PW to tide them over until their Internet was installed.

Got the letter and after fighting with the ISP and then talking it over with the Wife, she said that a new TV had arrived a few days earlier and she had accepted it for the neighbors, who were out. It was a 3D TV.... So putting 2 & 2 together, I now knew who it was that downloaded the Movie. Confirmed by the young Daughter who was asked if she had seen it and was very forthcoming in her reply, as she did not realise any different.

New WiFi PW and that was it.

I did get an apology after I showed them the letter. They now run a VPN, for their downloading....lol Just not via my WiFi....
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-12-11, 01:06 PM

Location: Kingston, ON - Bell ES 9241, Onkyo TX808, Oppo93, AppleTV3, Vizio 55", PSB & Yamaha speakers for 7:1
I've received a few. I just ignore them. We're small fish. I would plead guilty w/ an explanation of ignorance, cast my eyes down and twiddle with my hat [if I'm allowed a hat in court!!??] while saying 'yes, Massa.' I'd get off with a warning and told never to do that again. Of course my reputation would be ruined, except here! [what reputation?]
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-12-11, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

just checked email and there is yet another infringement letter. I really hope changing the password for wifi kicks whoever is doing this off my internet. Should i reset my modem when i get home?

Time of event: 2018-12-10 03:29:11
Date of event: 2018-12-10 03:29:11
Asset title: Crazy Rich Asians

there was no way in hades that this was me. I would never be up at 0300 on a weekday or any day.

Was never big on torrenting even back in the hayday before the infringement letter days. In the rare event that i may torrent it would be thru the Nordvpn ppp servers. But since the Crave change with added TMN over the top i see no reason to do this now. I also have Netflix.

plus that Crazy Rich Asians is not my type of movie. I may have watched in on Crave or Netflix but is not something i would seek in a torrent.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-12-11, 01:18 PM

Don't ever give out your passwords - even if you type them in yourself, the owner of the device can figure out what it is.

I work with a lot of people who forget their WiFi passwords when I help them setup new items - it's very easy to see what they are on a connected device (especially Windows devices).

People using your internet to download torrents is bad, imagine if they are using it to download even worse content. Do you really want to be named as someone distributing child p0rn?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-12-11, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks Dr.Dave.

The letter did have my IP address and did mention me by name. The letter listed the name of program i allegedly torrented and the date and time.
The router (Telus. T3200 or close to that) said the uptime has been 18days...
Are you confirming that the IP address in the letter matched your current IP address?

The copyright holder or their agent supplies the IP address, date, time and file name. Telus checks their logs to see who was assigned that IP address and forwards the email to you. They never give your email or name to the complainant.

Some ISPs dynamically assign IP addresses. I don't know about Telus, but most ISPs usually keep the same IP address for an extended time, unless you reboot the modem/router.

The Supreme Court of Canada recently said that an IP address is not a person, so you may have a good excuse if this goes any further (which I doubt.)

See: http://www.michaelgeist.ca/2018/09/scccopyrightnotices/
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-12-11, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

The IP in both letters match what my IP is. Will keep an eye on the wifi connected devices for a while but changing the wifi password should have kicked the person off.

A few weeks after lending out the password i did get a new fancy router. The plan was to turn off the Telus wifi and just use the new router.
I got an Asus RT-AC86U AC2900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router. But i could not get it working with the Telus router.

I followed the instructions to put the Telus T3200M in bridge mode at port 1. I know it worked because optik tv was on port one and the TV lost signal. But i could not get the Asus to pick up an IP.
So sadly i returned it for refund. I may do a search to see if i can find out which models of router works with Telus.

just for the heck of it i will turn off / restart the Telus router tonight.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-12-11, 09:22 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Many months ago i lent the wifi to a neighbour. I did not give them the password but entered it into the laptop.
Some software has a toggle to make the password visible. If you do make your wifi available, make sure it is a temporary guest account and password with a short timeout. Keep an eye out for excessive data use. Guest accounts usually limit LAN access as well.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-12-14, 08:57 AM
Veteran

I agree...you can generally make a guest account and set it for as many hours/days you want it to be active...then it will shut it off.

The guest account only accesses the internet...never the LAN.

I set it up whenever the kids are gonna have friends over.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-12-18, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacjames View Post
Have received them also but ignore them. Prosecution not legal (yet) in Canada.
I'm not sure if you're using the term prosecution loosely or not(with ISPs proposing criminalizing downloading copyrighted material) however I wouldn't be so assured one is in the clear.

Just take a look at this thread here:

Got served paper from IP trolls for bit torrent copyright - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

People are actually being taken to court by copyright trolls right now in Ontario. Don't share your wifi with anyone. If you rent out, don't share your internet with them. Get separate connections for your tenants.

It's a real travesty that the Ontario court system is currently allowing extortion to be committed with the aid of their legal system.

Just trying to remove that damn setup progress bar.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 2018-12-18, 09:51 AM

@Wheelman Thanks for letting us know about that. I have to take back what I said about fines not being imposed.

I just read the first few and the last few pages of that thread. There is a least one case where the judge issued the maximum $5,000 fine to someone that didn't show up in court to defend themselves. That seems pretty harsh for a first time offence, although I don't know if there were multiple warnings issued to that person. I don't know if there were a range of fines in other cases.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in