W Network signs content deal with Hallmark Channel - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-10-25, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

W Network signs content deal with Hallmark Channel

W NETWORK BRINGS HALLMARK CHANNEL TO CANADA IN LANDMARK CONTENT DEAL WITH CROWN MEDIA

Corus Entertainment’s W Network and Crown Media Family Network’s Hallmark Channel announced today an exclusive multi-year, multi-platform channel partnership that brings the United States’ most iconic family-friendly entertainment brand, along with its beloved content, to Canada for the first time ever. Beginning November 1, 2018, Canadians will experience W Network in a whole new way, with the launch of Hallmark Channel and its highly popular original movies, which will air in conjunction with seasonal programming franchises and branded weekend movie blocks. The partnership grants W Network exclusive Canadian licensing rights to all movies and scripted series produced by Crown for Hallmark and Hallmark Movies & Mysteries.

Hallmark Channel’s launch on W coincides with the kick-off of the U.S. cable network’s annual two-month “Countdown to Christmas” event, allowing Canadians to celebrate the season with the channel’s signature holiday movies, including a selection of brand new 2018 titles that will make their Canadian debuts in conjunction with the U.S. world premieres.

Hallmark Channel’s Countdown to Christmas on W packs a festive punch of movies and stars. View the entire schedule for Hallmark Channel’s Countdown to Christmas at www.wnetwork.com.

Following the holidays, W Network will present five other Hallmark Channel-branded seasonal programming stunts including: “Countdown to Valentine’s Day”, “Spring Fever”, “June Weddings”, “Summer Nights”, “Fall Harvest”, and “Winterfest”. Beyond seasonal programming initiatives, W Network will host Hallmark Channel-branded movie blocks every weekend, with custom promotional and in-show elements including promos, bugs, IDs, and lower-thirds. As the premiere destination for Hallmark Channel in Canada, W Network has more than 35 titles in the queue for the broadcast year, in addition to a curated selection of third-party movies that complement the existing catalogue.

All Hallmark titles will premiere first on W Network before being made available on W On Demand. For full scheduling information, visit www.wnetwork.com/schedule.
NovaMan and Morgana like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-10-25, 04:00 PM

Doesn't SuperChannel Heart & Home really on Hallmark channel for a lot of their programming?

LONSat
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-10-25, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Yeah Super Channel acquired a few series and movies when they rebranded SC2 to Heart and Home. They will probably keep the series they have and W Network will get any new stuff.

They both claim they have the Christmas movies and W Network says its deal is exclusive, so we'll have to see how the schedule shapes up.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-10-25, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
Yeah Super Channel acquired a few series and movies when they rebranded SC2 to Heart and Home. They will probably keep the series they have and W Network will get any new stuff.

They both claim they have the Christmas movies and W Network says its deal is exclusive, so we'll have to see how the schedule shapes up.
My guess is that Allarco either has library titles, Hallmark Channel movies that aren't actually produced by Hallmark, or have co-funded a few of them themselves in exchange for Canadian rights. Maybe all three.
Dr.Dave likes this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-10-25, 09:25 PM

Zap2it already have the schedule from Nov 1st to 7th. All Christmas movies.
Morgana likes this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-10-25, 09:55 PM

for the last 5 to 6 years the hallmark channels have been filmimg there Christmas movies in Hamilton Ontario Canada in july.so hallmark does do there own Christmas movies
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-10-26, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Here's the relevant quote from the Super Channel press release about Christmas movies, which also contains a schedule of their movies:
Quote:
We have worked extensively with our distribution and production partners to build on our Heart & Home brand to bring viewers an unrivalled collection of heartwarming, family-friendly, Christmas themed movies as seen on Hallmark, UPtv, Lifetime and ION in the US.
Of the current Hallmark series, W Network shows Good Witch, while Super Channel shows Chesapeake Shores starting with season 3 and When Calls the Heart. CBC shows each season of When Calls the Heart a year after Super Channel. It looks like Super Channel has a 5 year contract for Chesapeake Shores, since the On Demand runs until 2023.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-10-26, 12:26 PM
Veteran

That is awesome news. I don't normally watch W Network (Women's Network) but my wife did enjoy watching it once in a while before we cancelled cable, so yeah sounds like good news. good stuff

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2018-10-26 at 01:33 PM. Reason: quote shortened
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-10-26, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Beginning November 1, 2018, Canadians will experience W Network in a whole new way, with the launch of Hallmark Channel
This sounds like they are renaming W Network as Hallmark Channel. Is this their plan?

At least 3 new US Hallmark Channel Christmas movies advertised on the US site are not showing up on the W lineup. 10/27 Christmas at Pembiley Manor; 11/3 Christmas Joy; and 11/4 Road to Christmas. These movies are not being shown in Canada at the same time as they are airing south of the boarder.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-10-26, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

@NovaMan if you read the entire press release, it says that W Network will present Hallmark Channel-branded programming blocks. This tells me that W Network will retain its identity. If the Hallmark content is an overwhelming success, I wouldn't be surprised to see Corus re-brand one of their less successful channels as Hallmark and keep W Network since it has a lot of brand value on its own. The press release is a little confusing - I had to read it a couple of times to decide if they were re-branding W Network and what the title of the thread should be. You can read the full press release including the PR-fluff that I removed by clicking the top link.

They will include "a selection of brand new 2018 titles" with their Christmas movies. That means just some of the 2018 movies, but not all.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-10-26, 05:23 PM
Veteran

There are 3 Hallmark Channels in the US:
Hallmark Channel
Hallmark Movies & Mysterys
Hallmark Drama

Assuming Dr Dave is correct in his assumption of Hallmarks popularity in Canada and its programming is a success, I too see possibly Corus re-name possibly 3 of there channels. As to which exactly I'm not sure and this is only a guess I see The Hallmark Channel,Hallmark Drama & Hallmark Movies & Mystreys being re-branded by the channels listed:
W Network
D Tour
Action
Cosmos
Lifetime
Movietime
Slice
W Movies

Out of those I can see this happening:

Slice or W Network becomes Hallmark Channel
W Movies or Movietime becomes Hallmark Movies & Mysterys
Cosmo becomes Hallmark Drama.

Now I'm only guessing and that may not happen, but you never know?
NovaMan likes this.

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-10-26, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

@MCIBUS I wasn't assuming it would be a success. I was trying to say that IF Corus decided to pay to licence the Hallmark name as its own channel, they would use one of the other channels, not W Network.

I doubt they would launch 3 Canadian Hallmark channels. There's a lot of the kind of garbage on the U.S. channels that people complain about on this forum all the time - reruns of 20-year old series repeated endlessly. I haven't checked, but I suspect the same Christmas movies are repeated on all 3 channels for 2 solid months. One channel featuring Hallmark movies similar to the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries Channel would be enough. There are plenty of other places to watch Frasier, Little House on the Prairie, etc.
NovaMan likes this.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-10-26, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I had to read it a couple of times to decide if they were re-branding W Network and what the title of the thread should be. You can read the full press release including the PR-fluff that I removed by clicking the top link.
I too read the entire article twice and still had this question, Dr. Dave. Time will tell, I guess.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-10-27, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

If you read the last 2 paragraphs of the press release, it's pretty clear that the channel will continue to be called W Network.
Quote:
Following the holidays, W Network will present five other Hallmark Channel-branded seasonal programming stunts including: “Countdown to Valentine’s Day”, “Spring Fever”, “June Weddings”, “Summer Nights”, “Fall Harvest”, and “Winterfest”. Beyond seasonal programming initiatives, W Network will host Hallmark Channel-branded movie blocks every weekend, with custom promotional and in-show elements including promos, bugs, IDs, and lower-thirds. As the premiere destination for Hallmark Channel in Canada, W Network has more than 35 titles in the queue for the broadcast year, in addition to a curated selection of third-party movies that complement the existing catalogue.

All Hallmark titles will premiere first on W Network before being made available on W On Demand...
Like I said, there's a possibility down the road that Corus either rebrands W Network or one of their other channels to Hallmark Canada.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2018-10-27 at 09:52 AM.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-10-27, 10:16 AM

Quote:
W Network will host Hallmark Channel-branded movie blocks every weekend, with custom promotional and in-show elements including promos, bugs, IDs, and lower-thirds.
It will definitely keep the W name, but it sounds like during Hallmark programs, the HALLMARK symbol (ID) will sit at the bottom third of the screen (lower-thirds).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in