Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Large CTV Cable Channel/VOD Rebrand

36K views 144 replies 43 participants last post by  MCIBUS 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Space, Bravo, Comedy, and Gusto will become CTV Sci-Fi, CTV Drama, CTV Comedy, and CTV Life.
Translation... CTV is increasing it's brand name brainwashing campaign. The current CTV branding is so intrusive, pervasive and obnoxious it make me want to gag every time I see it. It represents the worst kind of corporate self promotion on any platform. It reeks of the type of macho paternalism that the most Canadian businesses (apart from male dominated sports) try to avoid.

We are doubling down on the strength of CTV and are incredibly excited about the CTV super-hub as a sponsor-friendly platform that will greatly expand discoverability for viewers,”
Combined with the newly created digital ad inventory from CTV Movies and CTV Vault, we are dramatically increasing the opportunity for advertisers to reach our audiences.
Key phrases, "sponsor-friendly platform" and "opportunity for advertisers."
Translation... CTV is increasing the amount of intrusive advertising and making it more difficult to avoid. As a side effect, many of Canadians' favourite movies and TV programs will become unavailable in an ad free format.

In summary... This rebranding accomplishes several things, none of which is good for consumers. Replacing traditional network names that are licensed from US networks that produce the content and replacing them with CTV brands will obfuscate the programming source and disguise product dilution. The creation of a "super-hub" will further that effect. The "ad-supported VOD services" will increase digital advertising significantly. These changes are designed to increase CTV revenue (and CEO bonuses) while running counter to what consumers want.

It is becoming increasing apparent that Canadians are voting with their wallets to reject ad supported content and pay for ad free OTT content. I suspect that these changes will drive more people away from regulated, BDU owned broadcasting services toward new OTT services such as Netflix.

#5 · (Edited)
The UK's already used to this, cause Sky slaps its name on (almost) every channel they run. Would you have wanted to see CTV Sports 1/2/3/4/5 instead of TSN?

But CTV Sci-Fi is just stupid; Space was a perfectly good name that has equity. You can't just throw it out like that. Bravo in the U.S. is completely different from our Bravo, so I'm not as shocked they eventually renamed it, but still.

#7 ·
I will miss seeing Space, Bravo, Comedy in the guide. I've watched them for many years. The Bravo name has been around for at least 20 years. Gusto is a fairly recent rebrand. Changing it so soon tells me that CTV has no long term plans for CTV other than to promote the brand and increase revenue by any means.

Would you have wanted to see CTV Sports 1/2/3/4/5 instead of TSN?
I find TSN to be such a bad sports venue that I don't watch it any more. CTV ruins any enjoyment I might get from watching games by obliterating them with advertising. On the other hand, don't give them any ideas.

#9 ·
More like doubling down on CTV branding on everything from TV shows to station names. Expect to have their intrusive CTV logo, corny CTV promos and obnoxious announcements shoved in your face twice as often.

The might be talking about buying twice as many US TV shows and using them to fill up CTV Two's schedule. Unfortunately, I don't think there are that many shows available that they don't have already.

As for Canadian TV shows, how about CTV-Kids in the Hall, CTV Idol, CTV: Law and Order, Dancing With the CTV Stars, Survivor: CTV or Big CTV Brother?

#10 ·
The might be talking about buying twice as many US TV shows and using them to fill up CTV Two's schedule. Unfortunately, I don't think there are that many shows available that they don't have already.
Do they still actively buy shows for CTV Two? I was under the impression the vast majority of its schedule is just old syndicated sitcom reruns and CTV simsub schedule conflicts. Corus and Netflix have gobbled up all The CW shows they used to program it with. Though, in later years even Bell started dumping those on Much and MuchMore.

I'm not really surprised Gusto is getting rebranded so soon. I was really confused when I saw a cooking channel greenlight a show about dogs. I understand channel rot, but man was that quick.

#11 ·
Do they actively buy to create a full schedule. No, it doesn't seem so. Are there some series/shows that only appear on CTV2. Yes, but it's schedule is increasingly dumping ground for syndicated strip series, 10pm weekdays for example and some other holes throughout the week.

#13 ·
Why they can't leave channels alone, this rebranding madness is getting beyond ridiculous, specially this one...

At least CTV Movies is a good idea, there is a huge lack of family friendly movies on tv, hope it's also kids-friendly, like movies that air on Disney Channel and YTV.

#14 ·
So will this cost money like Netflix? Or will it be free for those of us who have cable subscriptions? For example I have Cogeco, and in my Cogeco On Demand section I have a Global On Demand section. Will this CTV hub act like that? I've always wondered why my cable company has On Demand sections for Global and City but not CTV.

#15 ·
OT.....

I've always wondered why my cable company has On Demand sections for Global and City but not CTV.
I don't see CITY VOD in the list, it used to be.

I figure we don't have CTV on Demand because Cogeco couldn't care less, same for Peachtree TV, TCM, WGN, MavTV, MLBtv and a pile of missing HD channels that we have in SD only. Cogeco almost makes Shaw Cable look great when it comes to HD.

I wonder if more channels like Much, Discovery, Investigation Discovery, MTV, E!, etc will get rebranded soon after.

#17 ·
This is the continuing Netflixing of CTV. You look at many of their specialities and they program blocks of same program. Look at space blocks of different programs (Star Trek) in a row.

CTV Sci FI
CTV Drama
CTV Comedy
CTV Life

all just sound like Netflix categories. This move to a CTV Hub sounds like they are trying to be Netflix-lite. Imitating your competition is not always a good thing especially if you end up with a hybrid system, not quite as good as who you are trying to copy and all the baggage of the old. CTV has (soon to be had some great brands) and they are ditching them. Proctor and Gamble for example has great brands and markets the heck out them. It's not P&G Head and Shoulders P&G Pampers P&G Gillette. Good brands in the right hands should flourish.

#18 ·
I think what Bell is doing is competing with Rogers. Rogers has just introduced FX on demand service that has many exclusive shows something like mini Shomi. I guess Bell just wants to introduce services that would compete with Rogers. Latest was introducing TSN GO as a OTT service something that Rogers offers with their Sportsnet.

#19 ·
This move to a CTV Hub sounds like they are trying to be Netflix-lite.
It's much closer to Hulu lite without the OTT option. CraveTV is Netflix lite. Bell was forced to unbundle CraveTV from Fibe TV and Fibe Internet and make it a true OTT service available to all Canadians. I wonder if they will use CTV hub to do an end run around that ruling and start moving a lot of content from CraveTV to CTV Hub. It would be more compatible with their corporate pathology.

#21 ·
Vipper 550 is correct

The UK's already used to this, cause Sky slaps its name on (almost) every channel they run. Would you have wanted to see CTV Sports 1/2/3/4/5 instead of TSN?
Here's what Sky carries under the Sky brand:

SKY """"""""
Action Movies
ARTS
Atlantic HD
Cinema Action HD
Cinema Crime & Thriller
Comedy
Comedy Movies
Crime & Thiller
Drama
Family
Family Movies
Great Movies
Living
Living UK
Movies Drama
Movies Comedy HD
Movies Comedy HD 2
Movies Disney
Movies Disney2
Movies Disney HD
Movies Drama & Romance SD
Movies Drama & Romance HD
Movies Drama HD
Movies Family HD
Movies Modern Greats HD
Moviues Premier HD
Movies Premier Plus HD
Movies SCI-FI & HORROR HD
Movies Select HD
Movies Select HD2
Movies Showcase
News SD
News Arabia
News HD
ONE HD
Premier Movies
SCI-FI Horror Movies
SCI-FI & Horror SD
Select Movies

SKY SPORTS"""""
1-5 SD
1-5 HD
1-5 HD True
1-5 HDS True
Action
Box Office PPV
F1 SD
F1 HD
F2 SD
F2 HD
F1 & 2 HD True
F1 & 2 HDS True
Main Event
Mix
News SD
News HD
News HD2
News HDS True
Premier League

THATS CRAZY!!!:surprise :nerd

compared to CTV

CTV
CTV2
CTV Life
CTV Drama
CTV Comedy
CTV SCI-FI

not sure if there are any more, but assuming TSN changes at some point,then add

CTV Sports 1-5 SD & HD

it should be noted for what ever reason CTV decide to spell/rebrand Space as SCI-FI instead of SY-FY like the US,UK(different then SKY Channel ones),Spain & Germany spelling.

And when exactly is this suppose to change?
-

#25 ·
Don't know about other PVRs but every time a channel changes name with Rogers the timer recordings stop working. It's a real PITA since timers set for previous seasons don't pick up new shows when a season starts. Since new timers must be set, series that are part way through get broken up into separate groups. Managing timers with Rogers PVRs are enough of a hassle without throwing rebranding into the mix. I can guarantee that many people will miss episodes of their favourite shows due to this. It's especially bad with shows that have a long story arc and must be watched in sequence.

#26 ·
In all honesty this nothing different then any other channel changing its name.

How many times has the TMN brand changed?

Or other channels?

How does that saying go

A name is just a name by anything else or something like that.

Yeah it sucks, but its just like anything elsein this world be it TV or some other company.

As long as the content stays more or less the same it just words.In due time people will get use to the new namene it Comdey or CTV Comdey?

Just look at the Rogers CITY TV brand? the ones in Western Canada use to be called A-Channel, now there CITY TV Edmonton,Calgary,Winnipeg? Peole eventually got use to the New name.

Just look at the CTV2? It went from the station call letters IE CHRO to the NEW RO to A-Channel(not the same A-Channel as CITY TV's?) to CTV2. people ewventually got use to the change.

In all reality the average individuals outside of these type of forums who visit them, could care less what the channels are called? Heck the channel could be called THe Congo channel and as log as the channel keep the same content or close to it, the average consumer could care less.

Because outside these forums I'haven't heard a peep out of the public whine and complain "OH THERE CHANGING THE NAME" other wise it would be hitting the main media all the time.

#27 ·
The issue is that rebranding causes a failure in service. Last time TMN rebranded their channels, multiple timers stopped working and shows that cost over $20 a month were not recorded as promised. Did I receive any type of compensation from TMN or Rogers? The answer to that is no. I expect something similar will happen with the CTV rebranding. Channel names in the guide will take place overnight, without notice, and all existing the timers for those channels will fail. In addition, timers for shows not aired that week cannot be updated so timers will fail randomly for up to a year. For what? So CTV can push it's name and logo in my face to feed the ego and increase the bonuses of some corporate managers and marketers? As emphasized in the press released above, Bell and CTV don't care about their customers, all they care about is their advertisers.

#28 ·
Same could be said about Rogers & Shaw.

I can't really comment on timers as as I rarely use them, so don't know the issue with that. But as you said there's an issue with renaming a channel and then it cause a conflict with the timers, I'm assumming the providers are aware of this, as to why they don't fix this "bug' or just guessing they expect the sub to change their timers not sure which?

I know it sucks either way especially if the sub wanting to record that show movie or episode, I get that.

Regardless if its Bell Rogers Shaw or what ever provider it all comes down to $$$$ how much coin can you make at any cost regardles what happens to their subs.

Where all just pawns & slaves to to the provider because which ever provider you turn to you'll get ****** up the *** regardless. I'm not saying itsright far from that, but either then going "ilegal" or going streaming only or OTA there's pretty not much you can do or at least that I'm aware of?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.