Large CTV Cable Channel/VOD Rebrand - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 129 (permalink) Old 2018-06-07, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Large CTV Cable Channel/VOD Rebrand

https://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/be...ovies-service/

Hmm....I wonder how this will go over?

=P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 129 (permalink) Old 2018-06-07, 09:23 AM

Hmm, I'm trying to think of Canadian brands that are worse than CTV. Maybe Bell and Air Canada?
mike10 likes this.
post #3 of 129 (permalink) Old 2018-06-07, 09:44 AM

Bell should have spent this renaming money instead on updating the so-bad-it's-sad CTV logo. Between the shapes and colours, it just screams the 1970s (which I believe is the last time it was ever updated).
denben73 likes this.

post #4 of 129 (permalink) Old 2018-06-07, 10:56 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Space, Bravo, Comedy, and Gusto will become CTV Sci-Fi, CTV Drama, CTV Comedy, and CTV Life.
Translation... CTV is increasing it's brand name brainwashing campaign. The current CTV branding is so intrusive, pervasive and obnoxious it make me want to gag every time I see it. It represents the worst kind of corporate self promotion on any platform. It reeks of the type of macho paternalism that the most Canadian businesses (apart from male dominated sports) try to avoid.

Quote:
We are doubling down on the strength of CTV and are incredibly excited about the CTV super-hub as a sponsor-friendly platform that will greatly expand discoverability for viewers,”
Quote:
Combined with the newly created digital ad inventory from CTV Movies and CTV Vault, we are dramatically increasing the opportunity for advertisers to reach our audiences.
Key phrases, "sponsor-friendly platform" and "opportunity for advertisers."
Translation... CTV is increasing the amount of intrusive advertising and making it more difficult to avoid. As a side effect, many of Canadians' favourite movies and TV programs will become unavailable in an ad free format.

In summary... This rebranding accomplishes several things, none of which is good for consumers. Replacing traditional network names that are licensed from US networks that produce the content and replacing them with CTV brands will obfuscate the programming source and disguise product dilution. The creation of a "super-hub" will further that effect. The "ad-supported VOD services" will increase digital advertising significantly. These changes are designed to increase CTV revenue (and CEO bonuses) while running counter to what consumers want.

It is becoming increasing apparent that Canadians are voting with their wallets to reject ad supported content and pay for ad free OTT content. I suspect that these changes will drive more people away from regulated, BDU owned broadcasting services toward new OTT services such as Netflix.
bobmac and Wheelman like this.
post #5 of 129 (permalink) Old 2018-06-07, 11:06 AM

The UK's already used to this, cause Sky slaps its name on (almost) every channel they run. Would you have wanted to see CTV Sports 1/2/3/4/5 instead of TSN?

But CTV Sci-Fi is just stupid; Space was a perfectly good name that has equity. You can't just throw it out like that. Bravo in the U.S. is completely different from our Bravo, so I'm not as shocked they eventually renamed it, but still.

Last edited by Viper550; 2018-06-07 at 12:47 PM.
post #6 of 129 (permalink) Old 2018-06-07, 11:20 AM

Horribly bland names. Space, Bravo and Gusto were perfectly good names and have impact. They might as well make all the logos Yellow like No Name products from Loblaws.

LONSat
post #7 of 129 (permalink) Old 2018-06-07, 11:42 AM
Veteran

I will miss seeing Space, Bravo, Comedy in the guide. I've watched them for many years. The Bravo name has been around for at least 20 years. Gusto is a fairly recent rebrand. Changing it so soon tells me that CTV has no long term plans for CTV other than to promote the brand and increase revenue by any means.

Quote:
Would you have wanted to see CTV Sports 1/2/3/4/5 instead of TSN?
I find TSN to be such a bad sports venue that I don't watch it any more. CTV ruins any enjoyment I might get from watching games by obliterating them with advertising. On the other hand, don't give them any ideas.
post #8 of 129 (permalink) Old 2018-06-07, 12:34 PM
Veteran

Quote:
We are doubling down on the strength of CTV
So, every channel will have terrible "local" newscasts?
post #9 of 129 (permalink) Old 2018-06-07, 01:27 PM
Veteran

More like doubling down on CTV branding on everything from TV shows to station names. Expect to have their intrusive CTV logo, corny CTV promos and obnoxious announcements shoved in your face twice as often.

The might be talking about buying twice as many US TV shows and using them to fill up CTV Two's schedule. Unfortunately, I don't think there are that many shows available that they don't have already.

As for Canadian TV shows, how about CTV-Kids in the Hall, CTV Idol, CTV: Law and Order, Dancing With the CTV Stars, Survivor: CTV or Big CTV Brother?
post #10 of 129 (permalink) Old 2018-06-07, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
The might be talking about buying twice as many US TV shows and using them to fill up CTV Two's schedule. Unfortunately, I don't think there are that many shows available that they don't have already.
Do they still actively buy shows for CTV Two? I was under the impression the vast majority of its schedule is just old syndicated sitcom reruns and CTV simsub schedule conflicts. Corus and Netflix have gobbled up all The CW shows they used to program it with. Though, in later years even Bell started dumping those on Much and MuchMore.

I'm not really surprised Gusto is getting rebranded so soon. I was really confused when I saw a cooking channel greenlight a show about dogs. I understand channel rot, but man was that quick.
post #11 of 129 (permalink) Old 2018-06-07, 04:27 PM

Do they actively buy to create a full schedule. No, it doesn't seem so. Are there some series/shows that only appear on CTV2. Yes, but it's schedule is increasingly dumping ground for syndicated strip series, 10pm weekdays for example and some other holes throughout the week.

LONSat
post #12 of 129 (permalink) Old 2018-06-07, 04:48 PM

Thumbs down

Can't properly express how much eye-rolling this triggered -- so damn ridiculous, but not surprising.

That Bell Media press release reads much like Weird Al's "Mission Statement"

Also reminds me of this moment from The Simpsons:
post #13 of 129 (permalink) Old 2018-06-07, 05:31 PM

Why they can't leave channels alone, this rebranding madness is getting beyond ridiculous, specially this one...

At least CTV Movies is a good idea, there is a huge lack of family friendly movies on tv, hope it's also kids-friendly, like movies that air on Disney Channel and YTV.
post #14 of 129 (permalink) Old 2018-06-07, 09:17 PM

So will this cost money like Netflix? Or will it be free for those of us who have cable subscriptions? For example I have Cogeco, and in my Cogeco On Demand section I have a Global On Demand section. Will this CTV hub act like that? I've always wondered why my cable company has On Demand sections for Global and City but not CTV.

...this is a signature...
post #15 of 129 (permalink) Old 2018-06-08, 01:05 AM

OT.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaustin90 View Post
I've always wondered why my cable company has On Demand sections for Global and City but not CTV.
I don't see CITY VOD in the list, it used to be.

I figure we don't have CTV on Demand because Cogeco couldn't care less, same for Peachtree TV, TCM, WGN, MavTV, MLBtv and a pile of missing HD channels that we have in SD only. Cogeco almost makes Shaw Cable look great when it comes to HD.

I wonder if more channels like Much, Discovery, Investigation Discovery, MTV, E!, etc will get rebranded soon after.

Cogeco - Mix 40, Timeshifting, TiVo T6 DVR & 2 Minis, UltraFibre 360; Rogers - LG G7ThinQ; Koodo - Wireless Home Phone

Tags
bell media , ctv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in