Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Citytv NOW and FX NOW Streaming Services

27K views 51 replies 22 participants last post by  haydenmatthews00 
#1 ·
I Want My Citytv and FX NOW! Citytv NOW and FX NOW Streaming Services to Deliver Current Hits and Past Favourites

Whether you missed an episode last night or an entire season last year, it’s not too late to catch up. This Fall, Rogers Media brings current and past seasons of favourite shows to Canadian audiences with Citytv NOW and FX NOW – companion streaming services that deliver an immersive, bingeable, on-demand TV experience that viewers love.

“Marrying the immersive experience of premium and prime-time television with the immediacy of on-demand, the Citytv NOW and FX NOW streaming services are a natural extension of the viewer experience,” said Colette Watson, Senior Vice President of Television & Broadcast Operations, Rogers Media. “With immediate post-broadcast catch up and binge-anytime content from current and past seasons, this is also an exciting opportunity for our sales partners to align their brands with the shows that audiences are actively seeking out, and a great way for television service providers to enrich their offerings for subscribers.”

Ad-supported and subscriber authenticated, the rich content on Citytv NOW and FX NOW will be available online (Citytv.com and FXNowCanada.ca), on mobile apps for iOS and Android (Citytv Video and FXNOW Canada app), TV Everywhere platforms, and on Video-on-Demand through set-top boxes to distributors across Canada to enhance the value of their television subscriptions.

Citytv NOW
Audiences come to Citytv to laugh, cry, and cheer with a dynamic mix of comedy, drama, and reality shows. Citytv NOW delivers these prime-time hits, anytime. Highlights include:

* New episodes are available immediately for all current prime-time series
* Drama and comedy lovers can go all the way back to the beginning of Citytv’s current hits
* Reality TV junkies can binge their favourite star-making performances
* Citytv NOW will be a destination to discover new original series that haven’t aired on Citytv

FX NOW
After rolling out the streaming service to American TV subscribers in 2017, this Canadian enhancement represents the brand’s first international expansion, offering even more of what TV lovers want. Highlights of FX NOW include:

* More than 500 bingeable episodes of premium content – on-demand and continually refreshed
* New episodes are available immediately for all current series
* FX NOW prime-time content is exclusive and can’t be streamed anywhere else in Canada
* FX NOW launches with American Crime Story, American Horror Story, The Americans, Atlanta, Baskets, Better Things, Feud, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Legion, Mayans MC, Pose, Snowfall, Taboo, and Trust
* All previous seasons of current titles and spin-offs
* Exclusive sneak peeks of some series in advance of a linear broadcast debut on FX

Rogers Media Press Release

Note that "subscriber authenticated" means that you will have to use the username from your cable/satellite provider - this isn't an alternative to a cable subscription.

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
I think that this thread is about FX NOW streaming service not FX channel in the tv subscription package.
To access this service tv provider has to be listed when signing in to FX NOW service.
For now Bell is not FX GO provider. In order to do that Bell would need to sign an agreement with Rogers and pay Rogers so Bell customers can access this service.

#13 ·
@liverpool Don't get your hopes up too much. The Simpsons never granted streaming rights to Global, even for current episodes. I don't know if that was the policy of the show's producers or because it was such an old contract that it didn't include streaming when it was originally written. I read an interview with a Rogers exec that they are purchasing stacking rights for City TV when they are available.

FX Canada is a little more straightforward because Rogers Media just has one supplier to deal with - FX U.S.

#14 ·
Unfortunately FX Now does not list Shaw as a service provider. I can log into City using Shaw as the service provider, but unfortunately I cannot cast using Google Chromecast so again it doesn't meet my needs. Pity as it helps pass the time during rainy days out at the lake.

#16 ·
I emailed Bell recently asking why I couldn't use FX Now Canada. All I got back was a reply stating "Currently Bell Canada is not part of the distribution list in relation to FXNOW Canada, however the decision may be revisited in the future." Gave no reason as to why despite me paying the same amount for the channel as someone on Rogers or Telus.

When I cancel once my contract is up, this'll be one of the many reasons I give.

#19 ·
It was the other way around. It was Bell who denied access to Crave TV for cable subscribers and BDU non-customers. The CRTC made Bell provide Crave TV to everyone as an OTT service. The Bell and Shaw owned Shomi service was voluntarily made available as an OTT service to all Canadians after a short preview trial for cable customers. It's more likely that Bell is refusing to license CityTV NOW and FX NOW in order to shake down Rogers for better terms.

#20 ·
Just to clarify a couple of points. Here is the list of providers allowed to access City TV.

Bell
Bell Aliant
Eastlink
Rogers
Shaw
Source Cable
Telus

The list of providers allowed to access FX consists of mainly small companies. Notably, the largest providers from the City list aren't on the FX list: Bell, Shaw and Eastlink.

Secondly, CraveTV was "available to every TV provider in Canada" prior to launch day. You're right that it wan't available to non-BDU customers until much later.

#22 ·
CraveTV was available to all the providers; it was some providers that chose not to offer it. The providers pay a wholesale price, promote the service on their channel packages page, look after billing to the end user, mark up the retail price and keep the difference. For example, Shaw has been offering it as part of their TV package for $5.99/month for over 2 years. Rogers is one of the few providers that still doesn't offer it as part of their TV package, so their customers have to pay the direct price, which is now $9.99.

Back on topic, I wonder what it is that makes FX Now so unattractive to the large providers. If it was the lack of content, maybe that will change when they include their full library.

#23 ·
Maybe it's cost. I dislike the trend of channels like FX and City launching their own VOD or OTT services. It's reasonable for BDU subscribers when VOD is included with a BDU subscription. It's not reasonable when they charge $6.99 or more for each channel as an OTT service. By the time one pays $6.99 for all their favourite channels, costs get out of hand very quickly. An optional service that includes all Rogers owned channels under one service would be an improvement. A jointly owned OTT service similar to Hulu would be a much more reasonable choice for some consumers. I would pay extra to get rid of ads and I'm sure many other consumers would do the same.

#24 ·
It's all $$$ whether Bell Rogers or who have you, it all in how much more they can get out the sub. With cord cutting or individuals cutting back on channels and opting for streaming services, the BUD's need to recoup their expanses, so why not charge for it. Not saying its right, but something tells me we'll see more of "charge for each streaming service/Channel". If you want to see it, basically your going to have to pay for, or not but that's something that's not right in some individuals view.

#25 ·
Is Rogers just ignoring their current FX Canada Now product while waiting for this relaunch? I just went on there and they have TWO whole shows available to watch — two shows I've never heard of. This is why people are dumping Canadian cable companies for their US counterparts.

#26 ·
Every movie on Rewind (840 on Cogeco Burlington) has sound and lip movement out of sync. Does no one care, is anyone watching at wherever this eminates from? Are only 8-year-olds in knee pants running (not running) back in engineering? Just asking. Yes EVERY movie. sailmaker