Complaints to the CCTS on the rise - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-04-10, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Complaints to the CCTS on the rise

http://business.financialpost.com/te...-watchdog-says

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-04-10, 11:23 AM
Veteran

It's interesting to see that BCE received over 3 times as many complaints as Rogers and over 4 times as many as Telus. Don't know how that relates to subscriber numbers. From my own experience, BCE is the only company that I have needed to file a complaint against to get an issue resolved and it was required on several occasions. Overbilling was the main issue but there were others such as misrepresntation of products and services.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-04-10, 01:58 PM

The CCTS report is available as a PDF here:
https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/report/mid...ort-2017-2018/

Bell Canada had the largest decrease in the percentage of complaints at 33.2%, down from 35.7% (-2.5%) according to Appendix A.

Videotron had the largest increase in the percentage of complaints at 5.4%, up from 3.8% (+1.6%)

It looks like there was an increase in the number of complaints affecting all service providers.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2018-04-10 at 02:14 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-04-10, 02:49 PM
Veteran

I gave up on filing complaints about Bell. The incidents of overbilling and other problems were too numerous and often too small to be bothered. Bell's billing department was always the biggest source of issues. I totally got rid of Bell instead. With my current providers, problems are rare and always looked after without the need for a complaint.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-04-10, 04:22 PM

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of # of complaints per subscriber, and also # of complaints including subsidiaries/flanker brands. I don't doubt that Bell would come out badly no matter how the numbers are crunched.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-04-10, 05:24 PM
Veteran

Part of the problem with Bell is that they wouldn't address issues until a complaint was filed. Their billing policies are designed to penalize customers and bills were often sent late. Why I had pay interest on money that was billed a month in advance when the service period had not even started is still a mystery. It was usually Bell's fault the bill was not paid on time because bill's arrived up to a month late and they took days to process the payment. It was often impossible to pay on time due to their policies and internal issues. It wasn't much money each time but it happened every month so it was punitive. Multiply that by a million customers and it can add up to millions of dollars a year of overbilling in amounts that most people won't pursue due to the time involved. I pursued it and found a temporary reprieve then Bell then made it worse by shortening the grace time to make a payment. About the same time, Bell was forced to pay back millions of dollars in overpayments on another issue. I'm so happy not to be dealing with them anymore.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-04-10, 06:38 PM
Veteran

Part of the increase is probably awareness. I've been getting texts from Koodo telling me the CCTS exists for the last year. If everyone's getting those, a lot more people are going to be aware that it's a thing.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-04-10, 08:59 PM

Unsurprisingly, Bell-owned CP24 reported this news as:
Quote:
Canada's telecom complaint commission says wireless contracts top the list of beefs it gets
No mention whatsoever by CP24 that Bell continues to top the list, nor any suggestion that complaints are increasing. Great objective reporting, Bell Media!
CBC's article was much more poignant: Telecom mediator adds staff to deal with soaring complaints about Bell, Rogers, Telus and others
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-11-27, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Consumer complaints continue to rise

https://business.financialpost.com/t...2017-18-report

I am so thankful I have no business dealings with any of the major telecos or BDU's.

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-11-27, 08:35 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
It's interesting, if you read the entire article, because the increase has more to do with awareness than with an increase in actual complaints. Also interesting is that the provider does provide reasonable resolution in the vast majority of instances:

Quote:
In 32.5 per cent of the closed complaints, the CCTS decided that a further investigation wasn’t warranted and 30.1 per cent were closed because the customer didn’t co-operate. A further 18.8 per cent were closed because the CCTS decided the service provider’s offer was reasonable.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in