Stupidity on CP24 Breakfast - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 2018-02-28, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Stupidity on CP24 Breakfast

In the morning I tune in to CP24 to watch the news. They have about 10 minutes of news, every half hour, as part of the CP 24 Breakfast show. I usually tune in about 5 minutes early, with the audio muted, to watch the text news. Recently, I've noticed they have a lot of idiotic games with otherwise intelligent presenters engaged in stupid acts (Steve Anthony is always a waste of bandwidth). Previously, this sort of thing only happened occasionally, but is now pretty much solid stupidity. It would be nice if they'd go back to being just a news station and dump CP24 Breakfast, including Steve Anthony.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 2018-02-28, 09:58 AM

Agreed. Even dumber is their frequent "Milestones" segments, and "Dance Party Friday" montage.
And now Russell Oliver's son is taking over his commercials without shouting the same ridiculous "ohhh yeaaah" catchphrase, ruining all entertainment value...
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 2018-02-28, 10:11 AM

Sadly, this is the only source of "news" for some people, and the ratings for CP24 must say that people want this type of "entertainment news / advertorial content" instead of real news.

CP24 isn't the only station like this - try CHCH or CTV in the morning. Just as bad. Same goes for the 7pm to 8pm block on some stations with all the garbage gossip "news".

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 2018-02-28, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

There's nothing wrong with their news, it's just all this crap in the morning. Most of the day's it's an excellent source of local news. However, I agree there are other things that really do not belong on a news channel. If it is ratings, then it speaks volumes about the intelligence of some people. On the other hand, given other trends in the Bell empire, it may just be a matter of putting out garbage to fill time at least cost. Outside of Steve Anthony, everyone on that show is competent doing news, weather, traffic, etc..

post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 2018-03-05, 09:54 AM

Is it just me, or is Steve Anthony turning into a "Trivago guy"? (relaxing his personal grooming a little too much, lately)

I'm also finding CP24's graphics to be getting really sloppy. This morning, instead of "Kim Jong-un", one of the rotating graphics said "Kim Gong Un", and then another kept referring to "Stratford General Hospital in Kitchener" (umm, sorry, Toronto, but Stratford is not in Kitchener)
They were also running entertainment calendar banner graphics for Engelbert Humperdinck, but misspelled as "Humberdinck" for weeks on end.
flaminghomer likes this.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 2018-03-05, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I've also noticed those spelling errors and was wondering about the hospital. I have worked in Stratford and my sister used to work in a hospital in Kitchener, so it didn't sound right to me either. They also sometimes make errors about location. I recall one incident that happened at the DVP and Eglinton west!

post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 2018-03-05, 11:05 AM

CP24 is NOT news, it's soundbites and god awful propaganda.

Last year they had "reporter" Stephen LeDrew "interview" Rob Ford's Mom and junkie sister Kathy about Rob's "alleged crack smoking". Both vehemently denied Rob had drug and alcohol issues with Kathy saying she was clean as well (which of course was a lie). The funniest thing was Kathy saying "Rob doesn't drink much but when he does he goes full tilt", this was passed over to remind everyone how he "takes care of folks and watches every taxpayers dime".

The only reason CP24 exists is it something that most waiting rooms/bars can show with no one getting upset.
Tridus likes this.

228 transmitters

Last edited by Zank Frappa; 2018-03-05 at 09:30 PM.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 2018-03-05, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.eous View Post
Is it just me, or is Steve Anthony turning into a "Trivago guy"? (relaxing his personal grooming a little too much, lately)
Thing is, it seems like they've been cleaning up "Trivago Guy"..gave him a shave anyway. Steve Anthony seems to be going in the opposite direction. He just comes across as a middle aged man desperate to be youth-oriented and relevant (He's my age so I'm not being ageist). I haven't noticed lately: does he still have those ridiculous earrings? Wham! called from 1984 and they want them back

I watch over breakfast but mostly just watch the misspelled banners, listen to the weather, and hit the mute button whenever he's on.

flaminghomer
Samsung Smart TV | Bell Fibe | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer 919AH | Panasonic BD75 | Bose AM6
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 2018-03-12, 10:39 AM

Exclamation stupidity ending March 29!

How oddly coincidental to this discussion topic: this morning, joker Steve Anthony announced he's leaving CP24 "to join the circus" and March 29 will be his last day on-air. They played it up to be a "very special" big deal, but as with all changes to TV hosts, I'm left wondering if this was truly his own decision, or if he was persuaded, per se, out the door. The way he danced around explaining his "gradual" departure seemed a little suspicious... or maybe management at Bell Media has finally realized that instantly firing people that viewers notice, is bad for ratings?

After Steve's gone, I hope they have Mika Midolo do more segments... she's much easier on the eyes!
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 2018-03-12, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

^^^^

At least he's going. I expect this departure will improve ratings. Incidentally, this past Saturday, there was something really stupid. The news was supposed to start at 7:30, but instead of going into the news, they started with Kayla Williams sitting across from another woman (I don't recall her name) and started talking about how she'd gone to a game the previous night, her phone dead and how she had voice mail from friends who had seen her on TV at the game. Why on earth did she do that??? That has absolutely nothing to do with the news. I had respect for her until this. After a couple of minutes of that nonsense, they finally went to the news with the other woman.

post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 2018-03-12, 03:57 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Steve Anthony has announced he is leaving CP24 Breakfast to "do other things" and that his last day will be March 29.

Steve Anthony was just at my home two weeks ago for another great convo and left no hint he was about to leave. He did take great pride in talking about the success of CP24 Breakfast and that it was the most watched morning show in the city, beating his old show Breakfast Television on City.
Steve Anthony is Leaving CP24 Breakfast | Toronto Mike's Blog
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 2018-03-12, 07:33 PM

The following was posted on his facebook:

Steve Anthony is with Tanya Humphrey-Anthony.
7 hrs · Toronto, ON ·
Well? That's almost done. This morning I announced that, after 9 years as a host on CP24 Breakfast, and 25 of almost 40 years waking up at around 3am to be a 'broadcaster', I am stepping away from being on TV and radio. Tanya Humphrey-Anthony and I have been working towards this for a while. We have a bunch of businesses and projects that we have been nurturing, and are now ready to devote much more time to.

So that's the story. I can't say you won't SEE or HEAR me around. But I'm not admitting where or when.

In the meantime, you can continue to ignore me here.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 2018-03-13, 03:08 PM

CP24 should just have Nick Dixon read the news all morning and through the afternoon.

When I watch CP24, I just want to turn it on, tune in, and drop out once I've seen the cycle of news.

I don't want anything distracting - just news and facts.
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 2018-04-29, 10:04 AM

Looks like some of the stupidity continues, even without Steve Anthony: news takes a backseat to two weather presenters singing karaoke.
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 2018-04-29, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

^^^^
I'm glad I missed that. How does anyone think that nonsense is appropriate on a news channel? What do they think it does to that channel's credibility when they do stuff as STOOOOOPID as that?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in