CRTC wants all Canadians to receive News/Langue/program in multilingual langues? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 2017-05-15, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Question CRTC wants all Canadians to receive News/Langue/program in multilingual langues?

CRTC wants Canadians to get News/programing in multi langues?

http://www.canada.ca/en/radio-televi...informati.html

Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2017-154

Good luck

With so many langues spoken in Canada this will be impossible to do?

Now grant you I;m not sure oif the break down of ethnic langues besides English,French & First Nation & Inuit langues, that I don't know, don't have the percentages of ethnic langues spoken n Canada.

I'm not sure of other providers but with Bell Fibe they offer at least 20+ different langue ethnic langue services with multiple channels in each ethnic group.

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive

Last edited by MCIBUS; 2017-05-15 at 07:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 2017-05-15, 09:52 PM

Given that this was their response to Rogers' half-baked Omni Regional idea, I think they want a major competitor to it.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 2017-05-16, 07:40 AM
Veteran

More mandatory channels means more fee increases, at the end of the day. Frankly, I pay for too many channels I don't watch already. I have very little interest in piling more on.
Wheelman likes this.

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 2017-05-16, 09:21 AM

Quote:
The CRTC recognizes, however, that there is an exceptional and immediate need for Canada’s ethnically diverse communities to have access to multilingual programming, and in particular news and information programming, made from a Canadian perspective, without having to pay for additional services and packages.
If this Quango really recognised a need for Canadian's to have news services in any language at all they would be advocating for a national OTA/FTA strategy with no end user fees at all, let alone "without having to pay for additional services and packages."

Also, I demand a Welsh language service. Thank you.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 2017-05-16, 09:35 AM

Here is the Rogers OMNI Regional approval I posted yesterday. The licence was only approved for 3 years because the CRTC wasn't really satisfied - all the other licences were renewed for 5 years.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/12-t...ml#post2916385

@Viper550 I expect that the CRTC will only licence one mandatory multi-ethnic Canadian news service, so if another one is approved, OMNI Regional will be dropped from basic and will probably disappear.

I agree with @Tridus . While the wholesale cost for OMNI Regional will only be 12 cents/month, I expect a new channel would be more expensive and I don't see it as being an essential service for the Canadian public that justifies a mandatory status.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 2017-05-16, 09:36 AM

The madness continues. Still waiting for the Canadian perspective in French or English!
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 2017-05-16, 01:26 PM
Veteran

This is exactly the issue I have with limited basic. All the local channels don't have a carriage fee so essentially the fees associated with channel carriage goes to channels that the majority of people outside of Quebec never watch; TV5, Unis, TVA, Ice Radio-Canada Tele, RDI and AMI Tele. Really? Cable customers outside of Quebec need 6 french channels? Make that 7 if you live in Ontario and 9 for Ottawa.

Starter Basic should be local channels only, public access channel, government access channels (CPAC, Legislatures) and that's it. No APTN, no specialty channels, no extra french channels, no ethnic channels. Additionally the fees for starter basic should go to the local channels not to prop up channels like APTN and RDI that have low viewership.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 2017-05-16, 04:59 PM

As long as it is on their own dime, I don't care what language or what programming anyone wants to broadcast - as long as I have a choice not to pay for it, and it isn't subsidized.

If someone wants to spend their own cash to start an all Japanese language channel focused on Swiss underwater basket weaving all the power to them!
pwh2112 likes this.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 2017-09-01, 09:39 AM

Here is Rogers official announcement. Note that the programming will be a duplication of the existing OTA OMNI stations in Ontario, Alberta and B.C.

OMNI Regional Debuts with New National Multilingual Newscasts, Sept. 1
Quote:
Canada's diverse language communities will now have more access to vital news and information programming when OMNI Regional launches on Friday, Sept. 1 across the country. Offered nationally on all digital basic television packages, OMNI Regional will deliver a vibrant slate of news and current affairs, lifestyle, and entertainment programming in multiple languages.

The language newscasts – OMNI News: Cantonese Edition, OMNI News: Italian Edition, OMNI News: Mandarin Edition, and OMNI News: Punjabi Edition – will bring viewers stories of national and regional interest each day of the week. Complementing the televised newscasts, top stories from the day will be available online shortly after broadcast at OMNI | www.omninews.ca.
The schedules for the 4 regional networks are in the press release.
EAST (broadcasting in ON, NB, NFLD, NS and PEI)
PACIFIC (includes BC)
PRAIRIES (includes AB, MB, and SK)
QUEBEC
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 2017-09-01, 11:33 AM
Veteran

what about all the experienced staff Rogers/Omni laid off when they suspended omni newscasts, a lot of them have since found new jobs, they would have to hire new people from scratch?
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 2017-09-01, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Angry

Can someone please explain to me how this New Regional Omni channel is considered to represent the more then 100+ different langues spoken in Canada(according to the last senses report)how its news reports are done.

I only see about 5 or so langues represented? What about they other 95+ languages spoken in this country? If you state you channels is suppose to represent different ethnic langues(more then the ones represented on the channel), then represent them all not just a few and say SCREW the rest?

What total BS? :

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 2017-09-01, 05:25 PM
Veteran

no idea, but its just the same ol' omni channel from before, and the same news cast being resurrected from before. They laid off these people what, about a year ago or more? i can not remember exactly but I used to actually enjoy watching Omni News Italian on Omni TV. Too bad they probably wont have the same news anchors from before, who knows I guess I better watch and see.
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 2017-09-01, 05:52 PM
Veteran

Why would I want to receive news in other than English?
emmy1500 and nerakmacd like this.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 2017-09-01, 07:27 PM
Veteran

I have 2 answers for you JamesK. If you came to Canada from another country such as Italy then your primary language might me in Italian and it would be easier to watch the news in your mother tongue instead of a language you are new to and struggling with such as English. The second reason is the kids of immigrant parents probably want to learn their parents language a little better and watching news in that language helps understand the language better and u learn what goes on in this world. I am Italian so I don't mind watching a movie or news in my parents mother tongue. I actually enjoy it. Why do u think we have multi cultural channels for? Oviously there is a demand for them.
MCIBUS likes this.
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 2017-09-03, 02:21 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
Oviously there is a demand for them.
If there was obviously a demand for this, why did the CRTC have to force Canadians that don't want it to pay for it anyway?
David Susilo and emmy1500 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in