What will happen with H2? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-03-09, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

What will happen with H2?

Looks like Dish and DirecTV have already replaced H2 with Viceland (a big step downward, if you ask me).

Of course, in Canada, Biography was replaced with Viceland instead. I wonder how long it will take before H2 is gone here as well. Kind of reminds me of G4, which was cancelled in the U.S. a long time ago, but remained in Canada. And to be honest, most of the current G4 programming is now garbage. Supposed to be a tech channel, but lately it's been airing Rogers-acquired programs that also air on FX, FXX or City. G4's days are probably limited as well at this rate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-03-09, 11:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
A&E Networks stating that the H2 brand would continue to be used in international markets, the Canadian channel was not affected by these changes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H2_%28Canada%29
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-03-10, 07:50 AM
Veteran

Pick and Pay is when channels like this will really face the music (and G4 along with it, which is just a shambling zombie at this point). Until then, they will milk it with cheap content as long as they can.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-03-10, 10:45 AM

After subscribing for a few weeks, it seems to me that they are putting more actual history stuff on H2 rather that History. History has become just like Discovery with stupid reality shows and ancient aliens nonsense. Smithsonian still has more history and science than all three combined but all the programming is at least five years old.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-03-10, 02:39 PM

History and H2 both have almost their entire programming library free online - I dropped both channels recently and have been able to keep up online. In some circumstances, the shows appear online before they air! Both Pawn Stars and American Pickers seem to be a year behind the U.S. on the TV channel, but online they are up to date.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-03-10, 02:49 PM

There was no good reason to create H2 in the first place.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-03-11, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmenzel View Post
After subscribing for a few weeks, it seems to me that they are putting more actual history stuff on H2 rather that History.
I was surprised when I heard Viceland was replacing H2, because like you said, H2 essentially became the old History channel, whereas the current History channel now focuses more on reality programming and shows that target a younger demo.

Maybe H2 was skewing too old in the demo with its more traditional History programming schedule, and A&E decided to pull the plug for that exact reason. Kind of sad actually, because Viceland sucks, and now all of the H2 programming will either disappear entirely, or maybe some of it will end up in a late-night slot back on the original History channel.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-03-12, 10:35 AM
Veteran

Maybe? But here's the thing History & H2 are own by Shaw as Viceland(formerly BIO)is owned by Rogers, so H2 couldn't switch to Viceland as Rogers beat Shaw to the punch as it where.

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-03-12, 10:39 AM
Veteran

Viceland is being carried by virtually every major provider in the U.S. and Canada. It should do quite well once the newer original programming starts to show up. They're producing it from their own studios. I wonder what the differences are between the U.S. and Canadian feeds. H2 is only disappearing in the U.S., but will remain in every other country that it currently airs.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-03-14, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewdc View Post
I wonder what the differences are between the U.S. and Canadian feeds. H2 is only disappearing in the U.S., but will remain in every other country that it currently airs.
There can't be much in terms of differences. When I look at the programming line-up on the Hopper guide, and then check the programming line-up on the Bell 9400, most of the programs are identical, including that annoying 'F' word cooking program, that drug program, and Ellen Page's program about gay vacations. Literally nothing of interest to me.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-03-14, 05:41 PM

the Vice essentials show has lots of interesting and entertaining stuff but all of that is already available for free on YouTube and there website

Tags
biography , cancellation , g4tech , h2 channel , viceland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in