DHX (Family Channel) & DreamWorks Animation sign five-year exclusive deal - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-12-12, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

DHX (Family Channel) & DreamWorks Animation sign five-year exclusive deal

DHX Media and DreamWorks Animation strike strategic content pact

CO-PRODUCTION DEAL TO GENERATE 130 HALF-HOURS OF ORIGINAL ANIMATED CONTENT FOR DHX TELEVISION
LICENSING DEALS TO BRING MORE THAN 1,300 ADDITIONAL HALF-HOURS TO DHX TELEVISION

DHX Media and DreamWorks Animation have entered into a five-year agreement to co-produce 130 episodes of original animated children's content at DHX Studios. Content under the deal will air on DHX Television's suite of channels, which includes Family Channel, Family Jr., Family CHRGD and Télémagino. DHX will handle distribution for the content in Canada and DWA will distribute to the rest of the world.

In addition, DHX Media has licensed more than 1,000 half-hours of television programming from DreamWorks Animation, to be broadcast beginning as early as June 2016 across DHX Television's channels. DHX Television will thus become the exclusive television network for this DreamWorks Animation television content in Canada. Series coming to the network include All Hail King Julien, The Mr. Peabody & Sherman Show, Dragons: Race to the Edge, The Croods, and many others.

DHX Media has also entered into an agreement with AwesomenessTV, which is majority owned by DWA, to license 300 half-hours of teen content for exclusive broadcast in Canada on Family Channel. AwesomenessTV is a multi-platform media company that is a global leader in producing content for the Gen Z audience. The series included in the agreement will air on Family Channel's previously announced evening teen block, F2N, which launches in January 2016, anchored by DHX's Degrassi: Next Class. DHX will also handle distribution for the AwesomenessTV content in Canada, including SVOD and OTT.

Dana Landry, CEO of DHX Media, commented: "We are excited to be teaming up with DreamWorks Animation and AwesomenessTV. These are two of the world's leading content producers in the kids, teen and family space and we look forward to creating fantastic new series with them, and to bringing many of their exciting titles to our channels for Canadian families to enjoy."

Ann Daly, President of DreamWorks Animation, commented: "We are incredibly pleased to welcome DHX to our family of world-leading broadcasters. This pact with DHX will not only expand the footprint of our existing library, but also create new branded series in Canada with global appeal."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-12-12, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

I watched an interview on BNN where the CEO mentioned the following:

The former Disney deal was costing about $30 million. DHX would spend about $20 million on creating more of their own content and signing licensing deals like this one, resulting in a net savings of $10 million.

Related threads:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/12-t...-jr-chrgd.html

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/12-t...ml#post2485817
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-12-13, 09:21 AM
Veteran

Well it looks like"Family Channel" wil have programming to show on their channel at least for the next five yearts.

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-12-13, 09:11 PM
Veteran

DHX has a pretty substantial library of programs in addition to the deals they have made with Mattel and Dreamworks. I doubt they could beat Corus for young audience viewership but they will have some hits here and there; The Next Step as an example.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-01-04, 04:19 PM

^^^ I doubt if they can beat Disney in the viewership department either. Family airs no Disney content anymore and except for a few shows I barely even watch it anymore since New Years Day. I hope they can interest me in some newer shows in the future. Hope they don't ever be placed in a situation they had to sell it if viewership drops too much. Right now I've seen endless episodes of The Next Step, which is watched ALOT by some viewers, but not me.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-01-04, 04:52 PM
Veteran

Degrassi The Next Class will probably be a hit. Corus owns the Disney brand in Canada which is why I mentioned them in the previous post. I was taking their ownership of Disney, Nickelodeon, YTV and Teletoon brands into account with my previous statement. Corus absolutely has the edge with the more established brands like Disney but I do believe there will be some hits shows from DHX just not as many as they did when they had the Disney contract.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-01-05, 05:45 PM

I don't think DHX has the vision for running a kid's channel without coveted Disney programming. In the US, high turnover is key. They stagger the 4 year runs of their sitcoms, always keeping things fresh. Look what DHX is doing as Disney content quickly dries up: Running 5+ year old short-lived Canadian sitcoms (Overruled just 13 episodes; What's Up Warthogs 40 episodes; Baxter just 13 episodes) & the ONLY successful long-running Life With Derek debuting over a decade ago. Some of this junk aired on Astral/DHX Disney XD since it first launched. Picture it: XD spinning 13 episodes of Overruled & Baxter 365 days/year for about 4 years STRAIGHT! Now they're even MORE dependent on stale, aging Cancon. With kids, it's all about keeping it fresh. So DHX now airing Malcolm In The Middle from 2001 & Fresh Prince from 1990!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in