Skinny Basic TV Discussions - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

147Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-06-04, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Skinny Basic TV Discussions

Thought it might be useful to open a thread for the announcements and launch of the new <$25 CRTC mandated skinny basic packages.

The first that I have seen was announced today by VMedia at a competitive $17.95, a significant reduction on their $30 entry point prior to this.
As well as main GTHA OTA stations it also includes:
- US networks
- TV5 and Unis, CPAC, APTN, RDI, Weather, OLeg, TFO, AMI, TVA Montreal.

TheSkinny TV Package

It will be interesting to see how others in the market respond both pricewise and over inclusion of US networks. Also how the market price holds as VMedia expand beyond Ontario and Quebec.

EDIT by Dr.Dave: Since we are discussing the fine details of the CRTC policy that implements Skinny Basic and Pick and Pay or small theme packs by March 2016, I've included the link here:

Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2015-96

Last edited by 57; 2016-05-25 at 09:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-06-04, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

VMedia seem to have an interesting new trademark: "TheSkinny™"
I wonder how this will impact the naming plans for the others?
post #3 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-06-05, 12:11 AM
Veteran

Skinny & Any Twenty for $47.95 looks interesting as well. The channel choice is limited for now but it should open up as the Dec 2016 deadline approaches. I'm not yet sold on Vmedia's technology but this definitely throws down the gauntlet to other BDU players in Canada. I'm going to need unlimited internet for this plan.

post #4 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-06-05, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

As I think you know the CRTC require IPTV to be tied to the BDU's own internet service. Up until now VMedia have only offered unlimited internet probably because of that IPTV strategy. But yes, worth noting that you probably need to pay $40-$45 for at least an unlimited 15 Mbps service to reliably get the $17.95 TV service.
(For me their unlimited internet is worth it just for the peace of mind of knowing there will never be overages, even without taking their IPTV offering.)
post #5 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-06-06, 06:36 PM
Veteran

Interesting that they're coming in $8 below the $25 cap - I would have thought everyone would be selling the skinny at $24.99. Actually I'm sure the big guys will be sticking to that.
ParamountChris likes this.
post #6 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-06-07, 02:37 AM

I wouldn't pay more than 5 dollars for a skinny basic that just includes US stations and local channels that show the same stuff during primetime.
post #7 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-06-07, 11:19 AM

Boy they really thought outside the box on that skinny package (sarcasm key off now). This package won't attract many OTA antenna people in the GTA/Golden Horseshoe. I get all the US stations and MORE, as many antenna users in the GTA do.

Maybe when I get older I'd be interested just so I can get CPAC and yell at the TV about all those gall darn idiots in Ottawa ruining the country, until that time this is just another massively underwhelming offering of something a lot of us get for free.
post #8 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-06-07, 02:01 PM
Veteran

I disagree, this is a great offer. Basic package for $18 and then you can add Crave TV for $4 and some of individual channel like History or many other specialty channels. Inexpensive package that could cost around $30.
Great for people who can not get OTA or who want more selection than what is available on OTA for an affordable price.
Thumbs up for Vmedia.
I also hear that they are improving their cable internet. The transfer to Rogers Internet should be completed by June 08.
Obed likes this.
post #9 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-06-08, 08:27 AM
Veteran

The unfortunately thing is OTA is only as good as where you are
Someone like me, who is still considered York region.. is well out of the range of DECENT OTA.

I don't think these skinny packages will BRING BACK many cord cutters.

But it may KEEP some of the people who were on the fence about cutting.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #10 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-06-08, 08:49 AM
Veteran

Yeah. OTA is certainly not a magic bullet in large parts of the country where you can only get 2-3 channels. Skinny basic is great for those.
SnowGoose and ebusinesstutor like this.
post #11 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-06-08, 10:10 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_Calgary View Post
Interesting that they're coming in $8 below the $25 cap - I would have thought everyone would be selling the skinny at $24.99. Actually I'm sure the big guys will be sticking to that.
I am going to point out the obvious. There is a reason they charge less than the $25 cap, they are not an end-to-end provider, meaning when you sign up you also need a separate internet provider which is required. Other cable co's such as rogers, cogeco, shaw, etc. are end to end, they run a line right up to your house, you pay the $25 (or what ever they will charge since the price has not been officially announced) for the service AND you do NOT need a internet provider. Yes a lot of people may already have internet so they don't consider this an added expense and those are likely going to be the ones arguing with me, but think about the people such as your grandparents who maybe want to save a few $ off their cable, they are more likely to stick with an end to end cable company as opposed with TV over IP provider which needs a mandatory second connection.
post #12 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-06-08, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
I am going to point out the obvious. There is a reason they charge less than the $25 cap, they are not an end-to-end provider, meaning when you sign up you also need a separate internet provider which is required.
That's not quite correct. They are an end-to-end provider*, but you have to use their internet. That means that if you only want TV service, you will have to pay for TV and internet, making VMedia TV more expensive than conventional TV providers. Their cheapest internet is DSL6 for $29.95, bringing the minimum price of TheSkinny to $47.90.

* VMedia is a Third Party Internet Access Provider, so they use the incumbent telco or cableco infrastructure for the "last mile".
post #13 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-06-08, 12:22 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
That's not quite correct. They are an end-to-end provider*, but you have to use their internet. That means that if you only want TV service, you will have to pay for TV and internet, making VMedia TV more expensive than conventional TV providers. Their cheapest internet is DSL6 for $29.95, bringing the minimum price of TheSkinny to $47.90.

* VMedia is a Third Party Internet Access Provider, so they use the incumbent telco or cableco infrastructure for the "last mile".
wow even better! so much for skinny basic tv
post #14 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-06-09, 12:54 AM
Veteran

Except that DSL6 is not going to do much in the way of concurrent TV and internet use. A 25Gbps or 50Gbps plan will be required for households that have several people using internet and TV at the same time. Still, the prices are fairly good for the unlimited internet.

I'd have to agree that, even at $17.95, the skinny basic is overpriced. That many channels are available for free, OTA, in the US or the UK. Seeing that most are either government funded or supported by advertising, I see little value there. The only channels of value to Canadians are the US stations and they will, no doubt, be simsubbed into oblivion which reduces their value significantly.
post #15 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-08-28, 04:27 PM

pay for all local stuff? Why not use Over-the-Air having AMI, Weather, TV5/unis, CPAC, APTN and all US Networks and other local channels as Over-the-Air rather than paying $1.69 worth of channels for like $25, WAY TO GO CRTC but regular basic is worth $15 and $1.69 for skinny basic. 2 channels for Pick-and-Pay should be $0.95 per 2 channels , plus all the Canadian Timeshifting , US timeshift, Superstations , multiplex like the upcoming Family jr./CHRGD to Family or FX CANADA with FXX Canada or Much-VIBE/Retro/LOUD should all each count as one Pick and pay channel!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in