Skinny Basic TV Discussions - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

147Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-01-28, 09:46 AM

Rogers only serves certain areas of Ontario and Atlantic Canada. Shaw is the main cable company B.C. to Manitoba.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-01-28, 11:58 AM

Will Shaw include the US Netwroks? I hope so. What will they do with Timeshift - i hope a cheap add-on to the $25 package with all the Canadian + US Timeshift channels with the Superstations because they are also US timeshift as well. What will happen to Stingray Music??? Please put in Skinny Basic
post #48 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-01-28, 12:22 PM

Any word yet on what Cogeco intends on doing? I'd be interested in seeing their packages.

...this is a signature...

post #49 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-01-28, 01:50 PM

@ParamountChris
1) Shaw already has a timeshift package for $5. All the theme packs are supposed to be available to Skinny Basic customers.
2) All the Superstations are in Entertainment 2 for $10, along with other channels. You get all the time zones in that package.
3) Paid audio services like Stingray are not allowed in Skinny basic, however AM/FM stations are allowed at the providers choice. Presumably, Shaw will have one or more add-ons for Skinny Basic that includes Stingray and other channels.
post #50 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-01-28, 04:11 PM
tux

1) I expect that timeshifts will NOT be part of Skinny Basic
2) The Skinny Basic will hopefully be a lot "skinnier" than Personal TV. There's a lot of fat in Personal TV such as HGTV, Food, History, The Frame, Vision, Much, TSN, SportsNet, NFL Network - the list goes on. Removing all these channels could easily bring the cost below $25.
3) I don't expect Shaw to include anything such as AM/FM radio, that they don't already provide to regular subscribers.
4) Do you think Skinny Basic customers will have access to VOD or the "Go" apps?
post #51 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-01-28, 04:45 PM

@tux
2) Shaw's skinny basic will have to meet the CRTC rules - they have already announced that it will be called "Limited TV" and cost $25, but other details won't be available until launch around Feb. 15. Here's the link: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/36-s...ml#post2692329. They will likely keep the other packages intact.
3) I forgot that Shaw Cable didn't carry AM/FM, so they won't start now, but the rule still applies to those providers that do carry AM/FM.
4) I was also wondering if they would include access to "free" VOD and GO apps in skinny basic. They will definitely allow access to paid VOD rentals.
post #52 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-01-28, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri View Post
Mascon has offered a skinny basic package for $20/month: https://mascon.ca/mascons-all-new-ultimate-choice-tv/
Way to go Mascon. A good $20 basic package that includes the US networks and the music channels.

Shame on you, Sasktel.
post #53 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-01-29, 09:59 AM

Here's what the CRTC policy says about pay audio services like Stingray:
Quote:
19. Pay audio services and local AM and FM stations - Given concerns over affordability, the Commission does not consider it appropriate to include pay audio services in the entry-level service offering. However, the Commission notes that BDUs currently provide some local radio stations as part of the entry-level service offering and that it is unlikely that these would add any additional cost to the entry-level service offering as there is no fee for the retransmission of these services. Accordingly, it considers it appropriate to allow BDUs to include local AM and FM stations in the entry-level service offering.
Quote:
...may not include any further services beyond those set out above.
27. For clarity, the Commission notes that BDUs will not be prevented from providing a first-tier offering that includes other discretionary services (e.g. children’s services, pay audio services or mainstream sports services) as an alternative first-tier offering, provided that they also offer the entry-level service offering described above. However, BDUs will not be allowed to require subscribers to buy any services other than those in the entry-level service offering to access any other services or packaging options. In other words, a subscriber who opts for the entry-level service offering may not be prohibited from also subscribing to discretionary services either on a pick-and-pay or small package basis.
And another interesting point:
Quote:
23. ...Moreover, at this maximum price, the Commission expects that the entry-level service would include a set of the U.S. 4+1 signals Canadians have become accustomed to receiving.
Shame on you Sasktel

Regarding Mascon and Stingray, it looks like their Digital Starter is not CRTC compliant, although they could offer a CRTC compliant package by removing Stingray and The Shopping Channel and offer it in addition to their Digital Starter (as long as it is under $25.)
post #54 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-01-29, 02:10 PM

I would like to dump Personal TV for the limited package and the only thing I would miss is the Stingray music
and PBS. I don't imagine the Stingray add on would be that much in terms of cost and I am assuming PBS will not be included. Like most here I anxiously await what this skinny package will look like. I hope it is better than Sask Tels , that looks pretty awful to me.
post #55 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-01-29, 06:07 PM

Being national rather than regional, the skinny basic offerings of the satellite services (Telus Bell Shaw) will be important.

If they all stop short of providing a meaningful alternative to offerings like Sasktel's, the CRTC should intervene quickly to mandate the 4-plus-1 channels at entry-level prices above $15.
post #56 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-01-29, 06:25 PM

I can understand the Commission considering the inclusion of pay audio services as optional,
but not as inappropriate. At the same time, they don't seem to have forbidden the inclusion.
post #57 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-01-29, 07:38 PM

@Dan_Lee I'll repost a a couple of segments from my above quotes that you may have missed.
Quote:
Pay audio services and local AM and FM stations - Given concerns over affordability, the Commission does not consider it appropriate to include pay audio services in the entry-level service offering.
Quote:
...may not include any further services beyond those set out above.
I think the CRTC's goal was to make Skinny Basic as minimal as possible and allow customers to add what interested them. Then the providers could compete on price as we've seen from Mascon and VMedia, rather than competing by adding as many things as they possibly could as they do right now with "fat" basic.
jaxon9032 likes this.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2016-01-29 at 08:40 PM. Reason: typo
post #58 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-01-29, 10:55 PM

Got it. CRTC-speak can be mind-numbing.

How typical that they allow BDUs to weasel out of providing the 4-plus-1 but might take action against a BDU that exceeds the letter and spirit of the CRTC policy.
post #59 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-01-29, 11:36 PM
tux

Maybe, but from what I understand the CRTC allows BDUs to offer upgrade packages to Skinny Basic customers. I don't think there's anything preventing the BDU from offering "Stingray $0.00" or "US Networks 4+1 $5.00" upgrades, is there? So if the BDU really wants to give Skinny Basic customers music stations, they could offer it that way, as long as customers weren't forced to take it.
post #60 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-01-30, 09:23 AM
Veteran

Forgive my ignorance but what does "4 + 1" in the context of TV mean? Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in