Skinny Basic TV Discussions - Page 35 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

147Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #511 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-08-24, 11:25 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedrongo View Post
I'm sorry but I don't understand, I was specifically wanting information on skinny basic and I thought that was what this thread was for.
Your post 505 discusses a lot more than skinny basic, hence my link.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-08-25, 01:01 PM

Everything I mentioned in the #505 were questions pertaining to adding a la carte to skinny basic ( Bell starter package) and requirement to hire either PVR or receiver in order to subscribe to Skinny Basic.
So I still don't see where I transgressed.
However, I do apologize for offending.
post #513 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-08-25, 01:35 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
There was no offense taken and no real transgression. I was just trying to point you to the pricing discussions for BellTV, where people familiar with BellTV may be able to provide you with specific answers to your questions. This thread is more general and people uninterested in Skinny Basic, or people with BellTV may not visit.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #514 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-09-06, 04:45 PM

CRTC to hold a hearing in Gatineau, Quebec

The CRTC will hold a public hearing from Wednesday September 7, to Thursday September 8, 2016 to examine how the new basic television package and flexible packaging options are being implemented across Canada.

A live audio feed of the hearing will be available on the CRTC website at www.crtc.gc.ca. A video feed will be available on www.cpac.ca. Transcripts of this hearing will be available.

Agenda: 7 September 2016

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2016-09-06 at 08:07 PM.
post #515 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-09-06, 05:36 PM

Hopefully they will set a maximum equipment fee and/or mandatory STB purchase option. The equipment fees are making skinny basic a bad deal.
post #516 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-09-06, 09:06 PM

How about capping the internet prices! Who gives a crap about skinny basic! Why are we wasting effort on a dying medium.

Just trying to remove that damn setup progress bar.
post #517 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-09-07, 01:15 AM

Because old people vote more.
Tridus, CamDAB and Wheelman like this.
post #518 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-09-07, 05:59 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
How about capping the internet prices! Who gives a crap about skinny basic! Why are we wasting effort on a dying medium.
Because over 11 million of Canadian families still have cable and they want more options when it comes to choosing Skinny Basic and being able to save on cable bill by paying for channels that they actually watch.

Last edited by bev fan; 2016-09-07 at 12:55 PM.
post #519 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-09-07, 08:42 AM
Veteran

This is a forum about the CRTC and Skinny Basic. Both topics interest me which I subscribed. Could the rest of you who want to talk about OTA, Internet issues, demise of cable/sat. and any other topic please go elsewhere? Thank you!

(I guess I'll get demerit points from the mods. for this but I am sick and tired of forums going off topic and being hijacked by people who have their own pet hobby horses to ride!!)
denben73 likes this.
post #520 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-09-07, 03:58 PM

Thumbs up

Ok, I'll discuss Skinny Basic. Overpriced as soon they announced it. Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh! Better?

Skinny Basic should have been limited to 15 dollars a month, mandatory HD channels, one HD box included in the price. Must be able to bundle with other services like the other TV packages offer, etc. I know it's too easy. Don't all applaud me at once...
emmy1500 likes this.

post #521 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-09-07, 05:20 PM

Why stop there? It obviously should've been free. They should pay me to take it.
Wheelman likes this.
post #522 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-09-07, 06:01 PM

Damn Gilles! I gotta say! I like your style! They really should pay us for all the theft they've committed on us recently.

But in all seriousness. 15 dollars is what it should be! OTA has no monthly fee with HD service. That seems very fair to me. 15 dollars for the cost of providing service, HD Box rental and those few extras like CPAC, APTN, etc. It's a very fair price for both parties.

post #523 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-09-07, 06:07 PM
Veteran

If they took the money they waste on the CBC and use it toward a UK style Freeview TV system then we would have the equivalent of a free skinny basic. It's only because the Canadian system has been so screwed up by badly managed networks and that the CRTC needed to mandate skinny basic. We essentially had skinny basic on satellite and cable 10 years ago and then the big players all turned into greedy megalomaniacs.
post #524 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-09-07, 06:09 PM
Veteran

@Wheelman : I see it a bit differently. I see the average customer for Skinny Basic as follows:
- older
- does not have a HDTV/flat screen TV or if so a very basic small one
- has no interest in internet streaming or having apps on their TV
- watches a little TV in the evening when they have nothing else to do
- likes the main networks because that is what they have grown used to
- might like to add a few of the specialty channels like Discovery, History, Food etc. but don't think it is that important if they can't
- doesn't really care much for sports programming beyond what the main networks offer
- would admit that they could live with OTA only if clear OTA reception could be guaranteed and they could receive a good number of OTA channels
- has a limited budget

What I don't think Skinny Basic is or was intended for most of us who are "regulars" here at DHC. I could not believe the comments last spring from those here who seemed to expect get the universe in their BDU's Skinny Basic package for $25.00 or even less.

I also don't think there is any justification complaining about the added GST/HST not being included in the price. This is standard practice in Canada ever since GST/HST was introduced. The GST/HST is almost never included in the advertised price of a product. There's no nefarious conspiracy by the BDUs to hide the real price. It's government policy and we all know that is how it works.

There's one complaint, however that I do agree with, namely the need to pay for the set top box to get Skinny Basic. At one time the cable tuner (converter) was built into our TVs. All you had to do was plug in the cable. Sometime around 2006/2007 the BDUs all discovered that they could milk us for mucho extra bucks by switching to digital signals that made an external box a necessity for everyone even those still using SD TVs. Skinny Basic should include the box technology in some cheap way (maybe an add-on to the cable line itself like the old channel traps). Forcing people to pay for/rent a digital box that may cost more than the service itself defeats the whole purpose of having the Skinny Basic service in the first place. I'm not a techie but I can't believe that some kind of solution couldn't be found.

And that completes my rant for the day. Have a good one!
post #525 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-09-07, 06:48 PM
Veteran

I see the average customer for Skinny Basic as follows:
1. Lives too far away from a major city to get a good selection of OTA channels.
2. Lost 1 or more Canadian OTA channels during the digital transition. One of those was almost certainly the CBC with the next most likely being CTV.
3. Sick of repeated price hikes and gouging by BDUs.
4. Don't want overpriced "basic" packages that include dozens of unwanted, low quality channels or dozens of identical network channels.
5. Tired of paying for channels that are never watched because they milk the current TV packaging system by showing low quality content that mostly consists of endless reruns of the same content.
6. Tired of programming dilution by broadcasters spinning off unnecessary new channels that increase revenue for themselves while generating no value for BDU customers.
7. Don't mind waiting a year for a series to show up on a more affordable service such as Netflix.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in