Skinny Basic TV Discussions - Page 31 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

147Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #451 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-04-21, 10:57 AM
Veteran

I calculated what skinny Basic plus required channels would cost and it resulted in, at best, a $10/mo saving. I called and received a promotional discount so that pretty much makes that option moot. By the time that discount runs out the dust will have settled from the CRTC ruling and a new evaluation will likely yield different results. I am hoping that the CRTC will rule that some of the prices being charged for channels and packages are unreasonable and they will be reduced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-04-22, 02:59 PM

I know that in my situation I cut channels that I watched to get a huge savings.

The challenge is figuring out what you REALLY want to watch, and what you occasionally watch, and then finding if alternatives are available for those programs.

For example, I found that History, Discovery, HGTV, Slice, and MTV shows I watch are available for free on their websites - so why pay for the channels when I have the equipment and setup to watch them for free online?

Other programs I have delayed watching them until they are on iTunes or in DVD/BR box sets. I am finding I can get a whole season of most shows for under $15 if I shop around - much better than $5 or $7 a month to get a channel to watch one show for the year.

As well, I am debating signing up for some channels seasonally - I cut TSN, but would like to watch the CFL - and TSN is the only option - so do I add $18/month for the CFL for 5 months, or just listen to the games on the radio?

Everyone's situation is different - but Skinny Basic has been a great savings for my situation.
post #453 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-04-22, 03:49 PM
Veteran

I would never bother with the skinny basic. I would cancel cable instead. Why pay for something that I could get for free on OTA.
Although I understand that OTA is not always accessible to many people.

post #454 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-04-22, 04:32 PM
Veteran

@Inglewood : Don't you have to be a subscriber to those channels like Discovery, History etc. before you can watch the shows at the website?
post #455 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-04-22, 05:30 PM

Is there any other way i could cut down any of the channels i watch that i'm going to pick. I watch these channels sometimes when i do watch TV:

US and Canadian Timeshift
The Superstations
MuchMusic and M3
MTV
Hollywood Suite
HIFI, RadX
Adult Swim (on Cartoon Network)
Comedy Network
TMN Encore
AMC
TLN
W Network / W Movies
F2N on Family (only for movies and Degrassi)

Maybe anything else
post #456 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-04-22, 09:21 PM
Veteran

Some channels stream programming for free on their own website. Not many do but it's worth taking a look if the other option is buying an expensive package to get just one channel. Free program streams are a lot more common in the US than in Canada though. These are perfectly legitimate free streams, not pirated versions. Some of these free streams even have fewer restrictions on them than paid for BDU VOD.
post #457 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-04-22, 11:45 PM

I haven't watched tv shows on History or Discovery site but I have MTV. And the quality is not that great. I think the bitrate is pretty low.

Just trying to remove that damn setup progress bar.
post #458 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-04-23, 08:46 AM
Veteran

There is not much on History or Discovery. Only few shows available. To get access to all of the shows on both of the apps you have to enter your tv provider account info and you do not get access to them with only skinny basic package.
post #459 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-04-23, 06:52 PM
AFF

Anyone on belltv notice this when you select the skinny basic?
Quote:
This package only includes a basic selection of channels. If you select it you may not be eligible for TV bundle savings or special promotional credits.
post #460 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-04-25, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFF View Post
Anyone on belltv notice this when you select the skinny basic?
I haven't noticed it as I'm not with Bell and not planning on going with them but when skinny basic came out I saw in a few articles that many companies would make it so the skinny basic package would not count towards multiple service discounts and wouldn't be allowed as a base to add other packages.
post #461 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-04-25, 02:59 PM

Both History and Discovery online work for me as a non-subscriber - however, the website "remembers" my login I setup years ago (which was when I was a subscriber). I also can watch the U.S. History - which seems to be a year ahead of what is on Canada.

Maybe it is a glitch, but they still both work for me.

I looked at Slice, HGTV, and MTV and they don't have any cookies for me or a login. I watched some programming on MUCH's website with no issues either this weekend.

I agree that the quality is around 480p, but for free and completely legal, I can't complain. Also the selection of shows is sometimes limited or months after the air date - but again, free and legal...

Also I do watch some international channels online for free content - it is hit or miss (mostly news and sports highlight/commentary shows) are not geoblocked and free.

It's coming up to two months for me cutting back, and so far I haven't missed anything and have plenty of programming to watch between Skinny Basic, OTA, free online content, paid online content, and DVD/Blu-Ray seasons. Overall, been able to keep my purchases including Skinny down to under $40 a month, but the CFL season will test me...
post #462 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-05-15, 11:09 AM

CRTC says cable companies not offering fair $25 basic TV deals risk licence renewal - Business - CBC News
Quote:
Canada's broadcast regulator recently demanded detailed reports on providers' new basic TV packages as part of their licence renewal process, CBC News has learned.

Within weeks, the commission will make those reports public. And Canadians will then be invited to wade in and tell the CRTC what they think.

"We'll take all those comments into consideration as we come up with a decision to renew [TV providers'] licences," said CRTC spokesman Eric Rancourt.

He added the CRTC could impose conditions on companies not offering the type of TV deals mandated by the commission.
As the Bell spokesman says "All Bell's TV packages meet all CRTC requirements." In other words, they follow the letter of the law even as they do everything they can to undermine it.

Unfortunately, the CRTC's threat to make skinny basic a condition of the TV provider's licence would be pretty meaningless. It seems the most they can do is ask the executives some pretty uncomfortable questions at the hearings.
post #463 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-05-15, 05:24 PM

Skinny basic, what a disaster eh! Should have been working on how to regulate internet prices and make it affordable somehow instead of wasting time with a dying form of providing entertainment.

Just trying to remove that damn setup progress bar.
post #464 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-05-15, 08:08 PM

They should limit the markup on individual channels based on a percentage of wholesale rate. Then the BDUs will pitch a fit.
Tridus likes this.
post #465 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-05-16, 12:31 AM
Veteran

It wasn't well implemented in many respects. It would have been better to fix OTA and do something similar to Freeview in the UK. Compared to the UK and the US, Canada's broadcasting policy has been a disaster from day one. It may be too late to do anything constructive now since it will result in a showdown between the CRTC and Canadian broadcasters, who have become a powerful political lobby. It doesn't help that previous CRTC chairs have been little more than a tool for broadcasters to get their own wish lists rubber stamped.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in