Skinny Basic TV Discussions - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

147Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-11-15, 09:26 PM
Rookie

How have I never heard of that Rogers Lite TV before? I definitely would have paid $15/month for that. Now I have moved to Cogeco country so I can't.

Edit: just chatted with rogers, apparently it is available at my address and it's $15.99/month + tax.

Edit 2: upon further research it seems I actually live in rogers country, not cogeco land

Last edited by Dmitri; 2015-11-15 at 10:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-11-18, 02:24 PM

Would be nice if bdus offered every channel available instead of whatever they feel like.
post #33 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-11-18, 04:33 PM

I think it is fine that all BDUs don't offer every channel. This is how one BDU can differentiate itself from its competition, much as in other industries.

post #34 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-11-18, 11:17 PM
Rookie

Mascon has offered a skinny basic package for $20/month: https://mascon.ca/mascons-all-new-ultimate-choice-tv/
post #35 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-01-27, 10:59 AM

Sasktel Lite maxTV

Sasktel looks like the first of the mainstream companies to announce their Skinny Basic details, effective Feb. 1. Thanks to @Viper550 for posting the link in our Sasktel forum.

Lite maxTV will be $25/month and include the bare minimum - the Canadian networks and CRTC mandatory channels. If you want U.S. Boston networks that are included in Basic maxTV, you will have to add the new East Timeshift package for $5.99, which also includes NTV, CHCH and the Toronto network feeds or you can order the West Timeshift for Seattle, B.C. and Alberta stations. Other Basic channels are available as addons to Lite maxTV in new packages: Lite Sports ($14.99), Lite Information ($5.99) Lite Music ($5.99) Lite Entertainment ($5.99). Lite Sports includes Sportsnet One, all the regionals, Oilers, Flames and the 5 TSNs. Sasktel's regular theme packs are also $5.99.

For reference Sasktel charge $76.95 for maxTV + 8 Mbps Internet or $57.95 for maxTV only, so there is a large bundle discount. It will be interesting to see how Lite is bundled. Sasktel is also one of the few companies that charges $10/month extra to receive channels in HD.
post #36 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-01-27, 12:41 PM
DHC Supporter

From what I read there is no mention of cost of individual channels yet, already I am up too 40.00 just with basic and sports that is without picking theme packs HD for 10.00
post #37 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-01-27, 01:03 PM

Don't forget the first phase is they have to offer the Skinny Basic and channels in Small Bundles OR Individually. It is only as of Dec 2016 that they have to offer Small Bundles AND Pick and Pay for all discretionary channels. Their Lite Sports, Lite Information, Lite.... packages would seem to satisfy what is required in phase one.

LONSat
post #38 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-01-27, 01:11 PM
Veteran

It is very clear that Sasktel customers will be paying more for less.
post #39 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-01-27, 02:39 PM

@bev fan that's a cute slogan, but it's just a slogan. Skinny basic was designed to allow customers to pay less and get less. Sasktel customers who choose to keep "fat" basic will pay the same to get the same.

There are a couple of things that surprised me a little. Sasktel chose not to include the U.S. networks in Skinny Basic and the Lite packs for the extra content that is in regular Basic is priced higher than I thought it would be. Otherwise, it looks like what I expected. People shouldn't be surprised that sports is the most expensive content, so when you stop making everyone pay for it, then it will cost more as a separate add-on.
Gentleman and jaxon9032 like this.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2016-01-27 at 02:57 PM.
post #40 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-01-27, 02:57 PM
Veteran

Exactly, not including US networks makes skinny basic way overpriced.
Another problem is with the Lite bundles. Why would anybody include Al Jazeera instead of CNN in the News bundle.
I hope that other providers will start with pick and pay instead of Lite bundles.

Last edited by bev fan; 2016-01-27 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #41 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-01-27, 02:59 PM

CNN is in the regular Knowledge package. The Lite packs are only for the channels that are in the old Basic for those people that want skinny basic, but might want a specific channel or 2 that was in the old Basic.
post #42 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-01-27, 06:48 PM

Apparently Sasktel is unconcerned about their customers switching to another provider that will include the US networks in the $25 basic package. I wonder if they know something that we don't.

I sure hope no one is injured in the rush to pay $6 extra for the CBC & CTV news channels.
post #43 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-01-27, 07:25 PM
Veteran

The reason they are charging extra for the U.S. Networks is because they are not receivable OTA in Saskatchewan like they are here in the Toronto area. They don't really want you to buy the skinny basic. The U.S. nets should have been mandated into the Skinny Basic.
NovaMan likes this.
post #44 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-01-28, 09:54 AM
Veteran

I wonder if the value of sports rights will go down if it turns out a bunch of people dump the sports channels. When people won't pay for TSN or Sportsnet at these inflated prices, they won't have billions to throw at the NHL anymore.
Wheelman likes this.
post #45 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-01-28, 10:28 AM
Rookie

So glad I don't watch sports

Is Rogers lite available in sask for $16/month like in ontario? If so I don't see why anyone would go with sasktel's skinny basic when rogers lite offers the US channels for less money.
Gentleman likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in