Skinny Basic TV Discussions - Page 27 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

147Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #391 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-03-07, 04:59 PM

The problem with a review website is that so many providers give out special deals and don't want to make it easy to compare between others.

For example, a 1L carton of milk may be $1.99 at the store, but they are selling it to select customers for $1.49, $1.69, $1.89, or $1.99 with a free pack of cookies - but the advertised price is always $1.99 for only 1L of milk.

I know that my package with Bell is not what they are offering others - you just essentially have to know what you want, and do some hard research to get the best pricing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-03-08, 12:55 AM

In a noted contrast, Access Communications (a cable co-operative in much of Saskatchewan) is aggressively marketing their "Access Micro" package (skinny basic with US nets on east and west coast) and associated a la carte selection of theme packs and selected individual channels (I'm sure they will get them all available per the mandate soon) starting at an "everyday low price" of $9.95, with the first digital box free.

They've got the right idea; they're embracing the concept rather than shoving it under the rug.
CamDAB, jaxon9032 and Obed like this.
post #393 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-03-08, 04:18 AM
Veteran

AccessMicro for $19.95 a month ($9.95 a month for those already subscribing to the company's internet service).

Plus a $7 box if you need it.

post #394 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-03-08, 08:43 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilN
You don't seem to understand channels are adding and dropping content all the time. The "sample" of the channel shown to you today might not exist a month from now.
Yes, so true.

It's changing so quickly, and that is also part of the trouble.

Yes, I do understand that / I do get that .

So they'll have to keep their channel lists / descriptions up to date on their websites.

[ That's a fair bit of work and effort too - to keep that up to date and maintained, and to keep yourself up to date on that as well ]

So maybe they could have a screen up, for the customer to use or view, refer to,
on the side counter - in the store.

Not sure. But there should be a way they could do this.

By the way - the COGECO channel list - is more than 50 pages long (!) - when I tried a "print preview" when I was looking at it.

I guess it might be better to just view it online, or copy it to a file somehow - to study it "offline".

But it will then soon "go out of date" too, quickly / soon - for the same reasons - this information changes so quickly.

[ And I think this may be part of the frustration - that this is all changing so quickly.
One never really knows where one stands ... this is a moving target, always ]
post #395 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-03-08, 10:17 AM

If you live in the Toronto area, forget about the Skinny Basic packages and invest your money in O.T.A. antenna service.

25 - 30 channels inc. Buffalo channels, for FREE.

$350 - $450 installed, great price or FREE TV.
post #396 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-03-08, 12:02 PM
Veteran

I have had OTA for years. It is really useless if someone wants to watch sport and News channels.
Same goes for the Skinny, it has no advantage once a person wants to add few channels, especially on Bell.

But if someone is happy with the skinny offer only then I agree OTA is better solution with more channels and it is free.
Unfortunately not everyone is able to put up antenna on the roof for many different reasons.
post #397 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-03-08, 01:37 PM

From what I have seen so far Shaw Cable and Shaw Direct have the only skinny basic packages even worth considering.
post #398 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-03-08, 02:27 PM

Having to pay an extra $6 per month for the US networks plus an extra $6 per month if you have a second receiver in the home,....quickly makes Shaw Direct a lousy deal. $37/ month plus tax for ota channels is outrageous. It should be 10 bucks or so, maybe 15 max.

We are never going to get fair pricing from the BDU's in Canada.
post #399 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-03-08, 03:41 PM

I'm with Bell Satellite and ultimately I'm planning on switching to Telus Optik at the end of the year when pick & pay arrives (but we'll have to run the numbers at that time).

In the meantime I'm switching to Bell's version of Skinny Basic tomorrow. We're not big sports fans in our home and we get all our news from the local stations and the internet, so beyond the basics, all we really want is Showcase, AMC, FX, Comedy, (something)CW, W, and Space (all available as pick and pay). With Bell we can get 3 more at no extra cost so we'll have to figure that out. We'll also have to pay for time shifting to get PBS (which again adds a bunch of stupid redundant channels) but we should be able to drop that in December when PBS becomes Pick and Payable.

All this amounts to $66.95 now ($61.95 in Dec) vs the $70.95 we pay for our current "Select" package and we get two channels that we didn't have access to before (FX and CW). I know it's only 4 bucks now, but hey; 4 bucks is 4 bucks eh.

So if you're not a sports fan or news junkie, there is something to be gained from even the most draconian skinny basic/pick and pay package.
post #400 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-03-08, 06:13 PM
DHC Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzink View Post
AccessMicro for $19.95 a month ($9.95 a month for those already subscribing to the company's internet service).

Plus a $7 box if you need it.
Yes it appears cheap but if you add the packages for 6.95 and 9.95 x2 for sports pvr rental for 7.00 and so on, not any cheaper than anyone else. Pick and pay 2.95 but they are not the good ones. I do not mean to shut them down but I have access for internet and it isn't cheaper for me.
post #401 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-03-08, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46FD04 View Post
If you live in the Toronto area, forget about the Skinny Basic packages and invest your money in O.T.A. antenna service.

25 - 30 channels inc. Buffalo channels, for FREE.

$350 - $450 installed, great price or FREE TV.
Aside from OTA being useless if you want to watch sports, not everyone has line of sight to the CN Tower. I can barely get 2 stations from my condo due to obstructions.

signatures are stupid
post #402 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-03-08, 09:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokeDR View Post
Having to pay an extra $6 per month for the US networks plus an extra $6 per month if you have a second receiver in the home,....quickly makes Shaw Direct a lousy deal. $37/ month plus tax for ota channels is outrageous. It should be 10 bucks or so, maybe 15 max.

We are never going to get fair pricing from the BDU's in Canada.
Nevertheless, Shaw has the best options when it comes to Skinny basic. They have small bundles and pick and pay at $2.
Sports packages are also better priced than what other providers charge.
I am not sure how Bell can get away by not providing small bundles, and charging up to $7 for individual channels.
post #403 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-03-09, 09:58 AM

I don't think anyone is going to be happy with this system. Before it was announced, what we had in our minds was "I don't want to pay for channels I don't watch." So naturally the system we had in our minds was "Take out the channels I don't want, and pay less." But what we were given was "Start out with the very very basic, and pay more if you want more."
sawguyg likes this.

...this is a signature...
post #404 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-03-09, 10:58 AM
Veteran

@jeffaustin90 : What you are all forgetting is that this is just phase 1. In Dec. 2016 every channel becomes Pick n' Pay if you want it that way. Until then you really don't know how the new system is going to play out on your particular BDU.
post #405 of 540 (permalink) Old 2016-03-09, 11:14 AM

But if I'm paying $64 for, say, 80 channels right now, and all I want to do is not have 20 of them (and pay less), at even $2 a channel I'm still paying nearly double from what I'm paying now (if I choose pick & pay). The per-channel rate would have to be very low for me to switch from what I have now.

...this is a signature...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in