Skinny Basic TV Discussions - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

147Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-09-01, 09:04 AM
Veteran

You are mostly not paying for programming with skinny basic, but the costs to have the coax network connected to your home (at least in the case of traditional cable TV). The programming is what the provider does not/can not pay for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-09-01, 10:36 AM
Veteran

In my opinion, the CRTC did not go far enough in its decision. They should have forced service providers to break down service costs for the line and actual services, like TV telephone and internet, and itemize them on the bill. That would be a first step toward treating them as common carriers. There is no reason, for example, that we should not be able to purchase the incoming line (last mile) from Rogers and TV from another service provider.
post #18 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-09-10, 12:27 PM
Zod

Except for the fact that the line belongs to Roger's and they paid for it to be built? I don't see TV (or any TV) as an essential service. Unlike Internet which I think it's deeply rooted in society (and it's getting hard and hard to avoid it). It's a pretty big step forcing a company to share the infrastructure they paid for (like they have to with Internet).

I do agree that Skinny would be useless in Southern Ontario where there's lots of people and you're in close proximity to the US and can pick up all sorts of stations.

Here in Southwestern BC I'm too far away from Seattle to get the US networks and and too far away from Vancouver to get CBC/CTV etc.... OTA I can pick up ctv2 (which is useless, because anything decent is on regular CTV), Chek6 (a local independent station which is good for local news), a PBS station from bellingham and sometimes global. It's ok but it's pretty slim. A Skinny package seems like a step up due their not being many HD OTA stations here. It was similar when I lived in Edmonton. No US stations and a couple of locals. I imagine Skinny will appeal to people that don't live in Southwestern Ontario or Southern Quebec?

post #19 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-09-12, 05:44 PM

Or for people like me who live in Newfoundland, or people who live in NS or PEI who only get CDN OTA stations. In some places of NB you may be able to pull in US stations OTA from Maine but it will appeal to SOME most in the Atlantic region as well.

Last edited by jfoley85; 2015-09-12 at 05:46 PM.
post #20 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-09-13, 09:07 AM
Veteran

CRTC regulations make no sense. A service like Netflix is an over-the-top service because it's delivered over IP and requires no licensing. IPTV is also delivered over IP, how can that NOT be considered over-the-top? What is to stop someone who is entrepreneurial in setting up an OTA system and streaming a basic service to customers for say $5/month with about say 30 channels. It's OTT and should not require licensing at all, and certainly should not be tied to offering an internet service.
Film On does this, and provides service to Canada, and requires no CRTC license. My guess is if something like this is setup by someone, that the CRTC would likely do nothing to stop it.
post #21 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-09-13, 09:45 AM
Veteran

IPTV strictly isn't over the public internet, but is an infrastructure service, and the CRTC requires that such a service sell on top of its own Internet. Zazeen/Acanac I think are that sort of service.

Netflix is OTT because it is delivered over the public Internet.
post #22 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-09-13, 11:32 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewdc View Post
CRTC regulations make no sense. A service like Netflix is an over-the-top service because it's delivered over IP and requires no licensing. IPTV is also delivered over IP, how can that NOT be considered over-the-top? What is to stop someone who is entrepreneurial in setting up an OTA system and streaming a basic service to customers for say $5/month with about say 30 channels. It's OTT and should not require licensing at all, and certainly should not be tied to offering an internet service.
Film On does this, and provides service to Canada, and requires no CRTC license. My guess is if something like this is setup by someone, that the CRTC would likely do nothing to stop it.
Because it would have been theft and eventually would have led to death of OTA. It would be similar to what is happening with programs like Kodi where pirated channels are delivered for free which is nothing else but stealing.
Film On is not really that good of an example either, they have been in and out of courts for the last few years numerous times and still have no rights to distribute broadcast stations.
Finally not everything is about CTRC but also about the rights for the content.

Last edited by bev fan; 2015-09-13 at 01:56 PM.
post #23 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-09-13, 03:07 PM
Veteran

It would not be theft. The BDU's do not pay the broadcasters a dime for carrying their OTA signals, nor do the pay for the U.S. Feeds they carry which they recieve OTA. It might be illegal in the U.S. because of Retrans fees, but not in Canada as their are no retrans fees for OTA signals. If Film-On can broadcast in Canada without a license, they do carry 4 CTV stations, then i would assume anyone here can do it as well. In fact in the last few weeks Film On just won a major court case allowing them to rebroadcast U.S. network signals for a fee, although that's going to be appealed for sure.
post #24 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-09-13, 10:09 PM
Veteran

First of all almost all of OTA stations in Canada are owned by Canadian BDU's so wether it is legal or not they would never agree for a third party to redistribute their signal online without their permition.
If it ever happened they would most likely shut down OTA.

Why would CRTC ever decided to let third party redistribute OTA signal as they wish, when they have so many rules and restriction over Canadian BDU's and their OTA broadcasting.

Just because Film On provides four Canadian channels it does not mean in any way that they are doing it legally, it could mean that Canadian broadcasters have not decided to take them to court yet.

As far as I know Film On does not have any American broadcast stations in their channel line up.

Last edited by bev fan; 2015-09-14 at 06:53 AM.
post #25 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-11-13, 11:43 AM

The Pick-and-pay seems good, if I choose channels just for one show- I'll use Apple TV or Google Play for that show rather than just watching the show on a channel that only shows one or two shows I like and all the rest i don't.
jaxon9032 likes this.
post #26 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-11-14, 03:49 PM
Rookie

Does anyone other than vmedia offer a skinny basic package yet? My understanding is this needs to be offered by all tv providers by March 2016.
post #27 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-11-14, 03:57 PM
Veteran

I thought the date for all changes relating to Basic and Pay-as-you-go is Dec. 2016 but I could be wrong. However if I'm correct you can expect the big BDUs to hold off as long as possible. There will be a mass exodus from many channels once they can be dropped.
post #28 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-11-14, 04:11 PM
Rookie

This article says the skinny basic package must be offered by March 2016: ?Skinny basic? cable for Canada gets CRTC go-ahead | Toronto Star
post #29 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-11-14, 05:56 PM
Premium Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
Digital Lite is probably still available for $15/month, but it's not advertised and you have to ask for it specifically. It's a very stripped down basic.

Rogers Ontario 2015 Programming, Pricing and Packages Discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
It is not the official "skinny basic" but I have had, what is now called, Rogers Lite TV for two years. It is $15.99 + HST. (See link above for more info from other thread.)
post #30 of 540 (permalink) Old 2015-11-15, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidw View Post
I thought the date for all changes relating to Basic and Pay-as-you-go is Dec. 2016 but I could be wrong.
From the CRTC:

Quote:
Based on all of the above, the Commission will require all licensed terrestrial and direct-to-home (DTH) distributors to provide to their subscribers by March 2016 an entry-level service
Quote:
... by March 2016, all discretionary services will have to be offered by licensed broadcasting distribution undertakings (BDUs) either on a pick-and-pay basis or in small, reasonably priced packages, which may either be created by the subscriber (for example, pick-5 or pick-10) or pre-assembled (for example, theme packs). Further, by December 2016, all discretionary services will have to be offered on both a pick-and-pay and a small package basis by all licensed BDUs. This will give distributors time to make the changes that are needed to roll out these new options to their subscribers.
Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2015-96

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in