Corus to launch Disney Channel in Canada - Page 20 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #286 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-09-06, 01:59 PM
Veteran

You don't kill the goose that lays the golden eggs, as you can see by those numbers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #287 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-09-06, 02:55 PM

They would not just kill off an iconic brand that has made a name for itself in the years it has been on air.
post #288 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-09-06, 06:28 PM
tux

I have to question those stats. For one, it shows that YTV ranks higher in older-age groups (#10 in 18-34 but #5 in 18-49), gaining about 17,000 viewers between the ages of 35-49. This increase in viewership would most likely be due to children's viewership being attributed to the parents, rather than 30somethings suddenly gaining interest in SpongeBob and iCarly.

Second, TSN and Sportsnet rank in #1 and #2 across the board, which are predominantly viewed by men. This suggests a probable male bias in the viewership stats. CP24 Ontario is also listed in the "top 10" for 18-34, suggesting an Ontario bias rather than more representative national statistics.

Regardless, YTV remains one of Canada's most popular stations for children's programming, even if it does show Nickelodeon almost exclusively.

post #289 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-09-06, 08:14 PM
Veteran

I have to wonder? If YTV shows are geared towards a "young crowd" under 18, then why are 30 something, 40 something watching these shows? Sounds a bit creepy to me, about what kind of people(30-50 age group)are watching?

I Slap Your Face So Hard You'll Turn Into A Clown!!
post #290 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-09-06, 08:57 PM
tux

30 and 40 something adults who turn on YTV are parents. Parents don't generally watch shows like SpongeBob, Fairly Oddparents, or Odd Squad, they generally turn on the show and do something else, or else fall asleep if they're forced to watch it with their kids. Which is why I have to question BBM's statistics for YTV.
post #291 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-09-07, 12:46 AM

To me the statastics are redundant even if we ever lost YTV why can't Corus spice up Nick and make Nick more like YTV? YTV is just a name it's the programing that's important really. They could even launch TeenNick eventually as well as NickToons and Nick Jr. Nick is a far better choice to me and we could probably even see Nick at Night. We are living in an age when BIG US brands are coming into Canada and replacing the old.Can anybody truly say that Family will be the same anymore now that we have DC? The channel has changed like it or not.

Last edited by jfoley85; 2015-09-07 at 12:57 AM.
post #292 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-09-07, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCIBUS View Post
Ok so whats left on Corus that they own that could fit this?

In french
Series Plus to Disney Junior or XD
Historia to Disney Junior or Disney XD

The reason I have to two french services change towards kuids programming as imore or less they wioth one or two more french channels that Corus owns. By changing those two channelws Corus wil have all there french services geared towards kids.
Historia to Disney XD or Disney Junior
No!
Those are extremely known and popular brands , they're not kids channels but so what ?
There is not a lot of channels in french and former Astral's channels are very well known , Series Plus is almost the only channel for mainstream tv series, mainly US tv series dubbed in french like Bones, NCIS,Scandal ...
I said almost because there is Artv but it is more for "indie" or european series like The returned,borgen,top of the lake ....
and there is AddikTV by Quebecor but the brand is not as big as Series Plus and Addik tends to series like Dexter,AHS,Criminal minds ...

rebranding those would be a totally stupid move.

Best bet for Corus is to launch new channels!
post #293 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-09-07, 10:10 AM
Veteran

Funny, but in France, they use all the U.S. branding for their own channels.
post #294 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-09-07, 10:35 AM
Veteran

@SakeW

Yeah?

And Corus should of never re-brand Teletoon Retro or Cartoon Network? They should of left them the way they where and just launched Disney Channel ,Junior & XD(English & French) as new channels.Then you would hasve the issue of messing arouind with all your programming on existing channels.You wouldn't need to worry about Teletoon at night or Adukt Swim or programming issues.

And I do have all the francophone services, not for me wife is Francopkone.

post #295 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-09-07, 12:37 PM
Veteran

Why do people assume that Corus is going to launch a French version of Disney Junior? Is it simply because Astral did it? I'm willing to bet that Disney Junior will be English only this time since Disney La Chaine could easily show the Disney Junior programming block during the day.
post #296 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-09-07, 12:45 PM
Veteran

And who's to say that Corus will launch a Disney Junior & XD English?They could easily put it on Disney channel in blocks as well,

post #297 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-09-07, 01:30 PM
Veteran

They've already stated that they are going to launch them around December
post #298 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-09-07, 01:35 PM

Yeah and VMedia has confirmed it: http://www.vmedia.ca/blog/changes-kids-channels/
post #299 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-09-07, 02:14 PM

Quote:
@SakeW

Yeah?

And Corus should of never re-brand Teletoon Retro or Cartoon Network? They should of left them the way they where and just launched Disney Channel ,Junior & XD(English & French) as new channels.Then you would have the issue of messing arouind with all your programming on existing channels.You wouldn't need to worry about Teletoon at night or Adult Swim or programming issues.

And I do have all the francophone services, not for me wife is Francopkone.
They did it this way so that Rogers and Shaw would finally get CN. It took three years for Rogers to have CN with it being in Canada since 2012 so they had plenty of time to do it already. I'm glad Corus did it this way really because I finally have it ! All we really lost was Teletoon Retro. CN is still in Canada anyways.

Last edited by jfoley85; 2015-09-07 at 02:47 PM.
post #300 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-09-07, 03:33 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I have to wonder? If YTV shows are geared towards a "young crowd" under 18, then why are 30 something, 40 something watching these shows? Sounds a bit creepy to me, about what kind of people(30-50 age group)are watching?
Some of YTV's shows have skewed older, like when they had Avatar: The Last Airbender That really did skew older than their normal audience, which was part of the problem it had ratings wise. (Legend of Korra had the same problem, and I don't think they even showed all of that.)

Tags
corus , disney , disney junior , disney xd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in