CRTC Policy: maximize choice for TV viewers (pick and pay) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 328 (permalink) Old 2015-03-17, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

CRTC Policy: maximize choice for TV viewers (pick and pay)

EDIT: See post 21 for the CRTC news release.

Please use this thread to discuss the announcement and try to keep your conversation related to the actual policy.

Off-topic posts will be deleted.

Media Advisory - CRTC Media Lock-Up - Let's Talk TV: A World of Choice - A roadmap to maximize choice for TV viewers and to foster a healthy, dynamic TV market

The CRTC will post the Let's Talk TV decision on measures to maximize choice for Canadian television viewers on the CRTC website www.crtc.gc.ca at 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 19, 2015.

The Chairman of the CRTC will deliver a statement and answer questions shortly after 4:15 p.m.

Other useful threads:

CRTC Policy on Canadian content (released March 12) : http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=233402

CRTC: Let's Talk TV: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...185681&page=40

The Official I Hate The CRTC Thread

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2015-03-19 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Added Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 328 (permalink) Old 2015-03-18, 09:23 AM

The title of the announcement is encouraging! If they'd called it "Preserving Our Heritage" or "Ensuring the Viability of the Canadian Broadcast Ecosystem" I'd be a lot more worried that it would be same-old, same-old.

I'm hoping for a mandated "skinny basic" package in the $20-30/month range plus pick-and-pay for all channels. Hopefully there will be limitations to prevent BDUs from flaunting the spirit of the regulations, i.e., TSN channels are $8 each but the Sports bundle containing all 5 of them is $12.

Very little of what the CRTC has had to rule on lately would be necessary if our telecommunications and media industry wasn't so vertically integrated. Competition and fair dealing would have already solved many of these issues.

Adventures in Canadian Cord Cutting: http://www.canadiancordcutting.com/
post #3 of 328 (permalink) Old 2015-03-18, 01:58 PM

I'm hoping the pick 'n pay goes through - I pay now for a package that has 262 channels because the channels I want are bundled - my family only watches about 20 of them.

I am willing to sacrifice 90% of the channels I get, even for a small discount - even if I save a few dollars a month to only get what I want, I'm willing to pay more for less, for a total bill that is less.

I'm tired of my money going to support channels I do not want!

post #4 of 328 (permalink) Old 2015-03-18, 02:17 PM
Rookie

Its very unlikely it will only be a few dollars a month my guess is it will be around $25 just for the skinny basic.
post #5 of 328 (permalink) Old 2015-03-18, 03:27 PM

In a perfect world, you would also be able to pick the channels that go in your skinny basic. That would be too much to even hope for, though.
post #6 of 328 (permalink) Old 2015-03-18, 05:09 PM
Veteran

If the skinny basic is just local channels then I doubt it would be too expensive, likely $20 per month or less, and everything above that is pick n pay on a per channel basis, but the BDU's will also be allowed to offer packages of channels as well, for those that want it. This is just my guess as to what the ruling will be. I also am hoping we'll be able to buy individual U.S. channels without having to buy a Canadian channel with it.
post #7 of 328 (permalink) Old 2015-03-18, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post

I'm tired of my money going to support channels I do not want!
You mean you don't watch the Home Shopping Network or even Vision TV?
I agree with you. I also hate paying for channels that shouldn't exist or that I don't watch.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #8 of 328 (permalink) Old 2015-03-18, 06:25 PM

You don't pay for the The Shopping Channel and you'll keep getting it even after pick-and-pay.
post #9 of 328 (permalink) Old 2015-03-18, 08:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenqui View Post
I'm hoping for a mandated "skinny basic" package in the $20-30/month range plus pick-and-pay for all channels. Hopefully there will be limitations to prevent BDUs from flaunting the spirit of the regulations, i.e., TSN channels are $8 each but the Sports bundle containing all 5 of them is $12.
TSN would be a weird example given that it's often so hard to predict just where something will be shown. It'd be really hard to pick one TSN and get everything you want.

I'm just hoping they put some protection in place to stop any kind of nonsense where a bundle is $5, and any one channel in the bundle is also $5. Also, they'll have to address channel contracts that mandate channels be in bundles only or forced on all subscribers.

If it were up to me, it'd look like this:
- Skinny basic is Canadian locals and the mandatory channels only.
- Everything else is available a-la-carte.
- If the BDUs want to create bundles, the bundle cannot be priced below 50% of what the individual channels in the bundle would cost.

So if each TSN is $2, than all five TSN's would be at least $5.

Last edited by 57; 2015-03-18 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Quote Shortened.
post #10 of 328 (permalink) Old 2015-03-19, 12:31 PM
Veteran

First "leak" = $25 cap on basic

From the Globe & Mail...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle23535461/

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #11 of 328 (permalink) Old 2015-03-19, 01:38 PM

$25 is too much in my opinion. A $10 indoor antenna gets me CTV,City,Global,CBC as well as as 4 local french channels. $25 for this and a couple of other stations is too much.
post #12 of 328 (permalink) Old 2015-03-19, 02:06 PM

Can always use your $10 antenna then. Providing cable isn't free.
post #13 of 328 (permalink) Old 2015-03-19, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Several off-topic posts discussing OTA were deleted. Please limit your posts to the CRTC policy on the packaging of basic, pick-and-pay and whatever else is included in their announcement.

Although OTA is an option for those people that only watch the broadcast networks, not everyone can get reliable reception of all the Canadian networks or they also want to watch specialty channels via cable or satellite.

Although $25/month may seem like a lot for mainly "free" channels, there is a significant cost to building and operating a TV distribution system.
post #14 of 328 (permalink) Old 2015-03-19, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue17 View Post
$25 is too much in my opinion. A $10 indoor antenna gets me CTV,City,Global,CBC as well as as 4 local french channels. $25 for this and a couple of other stations is too much.
Completely agree. There are already cablecos offering such a rate. That is an outrageous price for such a limited bundle of channels.

I really am not expecting much value for the consumer to come out of this.
post #15 of 328 (permalink) Old 2015-03-19, 02:37 PM
Veteran

As I've said before, skinny basic should be free. Canada is unique in not making its national TV service free to all it's citizens and in not providing national networks free to most of its citizens. The CRTC is wrong by letting network owning BDUs profit further from delivering their own, traditionally delivered for free, services.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in