CRTC Policy: Measures to support creation of content made by Canadians - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 113 (permalink) Old 2015-03-21, 02:46 PM
Veteran

The "US Superstations" are a kind of interesting example. Originally, the OTA and satellite stations were the same. Some of them separated the two stations with a satellite "superstation" that has different programming from the OTA station. Most Canadian BDUs had the satellite station since it was easier to receive and distribute. Later on, I believe some of the stations started asking for payments to use the satellite feed. Then someone noticed that the original approval was for the OTA station itself. Presto chango, the satellite feeds were quickly replaced with the cheaper to carry OTA feeds. They no longer look like superstations because they are not the real US superstations. They are simply the OTA parent stations. I find it interesting that the CW network is not approved for carriage in Canada but some of these stations are now CW affiliates. It just shows how archaic regulations can become and why they needed revision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 113 (permalink) Old 2015-03-21, 02:56 PM

For a long time, the "List of eligible services" was still using various US channels' original names (for example, The Nashville Network). They have since started fixing that, but it now makes those channels out of place.
post #108 of 113 (permalink) Old 2015-03-21, 07:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
The pick-n-pay decision for US stations is troubling in one respect. Stations like TCM rely on subscriber revenues alone for financing. That's how they can operate with no ads. Making them pick-n-pay could make it uneconomical for them to continue operating without ads. I don't want to see TCM turn into another AMC (which is now rampant with ads but originally had none.)
How many "subscribers" of TCM never watch it and never wanted to be a subscriber in the first place? I get to pay for someone else to have it with no ads when I've never watched a thing on it and likely never will.

That's a great business model for them, not so much for the people being forced to pay for it.

post #109 of 113 (permalink) Old 2015-03-22, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Several posts were moved. Please use the Pick and Pay thread to discuss the CRTC's policy on bundling and "skinny basic".

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=233993
post #110 of 113 (permalink) Old 2015-03-22, 11:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
How many "subscribers" of TCM never watch it and never wanted to be a subscriber in the first place?
I feel the same way about TSN. The difference is that TSN costs more and I can't stand to watch TSN due to the number of ads. Sometimes I'll put TCM on as background TV. I'd never due that with TSN. If TSN didn't have ads I might. I would also watch it occasionally if they didn't keep inserting extra ads that cut off programming.
post #111 of 113 (permalink) Old 2015-03-23, 09:21 AM
Veteran

Well good. Then you drop TSN, I'll drop 75% of the channels I currently get, and we're both happier.
post #112 of 113 (permalink) Old 2015-03-23, 09:42 AM
Veteran

I like TCM, and the way it is, especially ad free. I don't watch it much, at least lately.

But AMC has become strong with its own content (MadMen, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead), and ads.
post #113 of 113 (permalink) Old 2015-12-29, 06:18 PM

New CRTC CanCon Requirements

Sorry if this has already been asked, but when do the new CRTC CanCon requirements announced in March 2015 take into effect?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in