Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bell Media Launches CraveTV Streaming Service

166K views 552 replies 105 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 · (Edited)
Bell Media announced today it will soon launch a new video streaming service devoted exclusively to the best content on television. From the company with more than a decade of leadership delivering Canada's most-watched and most-acclaimed television programming across the Pay, Specialty, and Network TV landscapes, the on-demand subscription service, currently code-named "Project Latte", will feature thousands of hours of content representing TV's top premium brands including, it was confirmed today, HBO. With content from all key Hollywood major and independent studios, "Project Latte" does not duplicate existing services, but instead features additive and exclusive programming.

Now available to every TV provider in Canada, "Project Latte" is designed to enhance the value of the subscription television ecosystem. "Project Latte" will therefore be made available to all TV subscribers in the country, pending agreements with participating TV providers, on their traditional set-top box, as well as via mobile apps, the web, and other platforms including game consoles and Smart TVs. Additional details will be announced in the weeks to come.

"We built Project Latte as a complementary service that will delight and amaze viewers with thousands of hours of premium entertainment available on-demand and on the device of their choice," said Kevin Crull, President, Bell Media. "Project Latte addresses a significant gap in the Canadian TV system and allows TV providers to greatly enhance the value they provide to their clients. We are incredibly excited about the potential for this product and how it fits into our overall portfolio of Canada's best television brands and programs."

"If you like TV, you will love Project Latte's program lineup," said Mike Cosentino, Senior Vice-President, Programming, Bell Media. "Our singular focus on TV series, along with our established studio relationships in Hollywood and beyond, means we are uniquely positioned and hyper-focused on delivering the best TV programs to the most-devoted TV lovers. While our extensive HBO deal is a game-changer and instantly makes us a viewer favourite, HBO content comprises only 10% of our planned inventory at launch. Stay tuned as Project Latte's complete lineup is revealed in the weeks to come."

HBO is the first of many world-class content partners announced for "Project Latte", which, further to Bell Media's previously announced agreement, will be the Canadian home of the entire off-air library of HBO's iconic programming catalogue. As confirmed today, "Project Latte" will feature the entire HBO scripted library, featuring some of the most-celebrated television programming of all time. In addition to THE SOPRANOS and SEX AND THE CITY, additional Emmy® and Golden Globe® Award-winning HBO classic series to be available on "Project Latte" include SIX FEET UNDER, BAND OF BROTHERS, CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM, BIG LOVE, ENTOURAGE, OZ, IN TREATMENT, HUNG, ROME, and DEADWOOD, among others. "Project Latte" will also feature creator David Simon's newly re-mastered version of THE WIRE, which will be presented in HD for the first time.

"Project Latte" will also showcase the complete HBO Films catalogue of nearly 100 titles that have been the recipients of countless Academy®, Golden Globe, Peabody, and Emmy Awards, as well as the Palme d'Or and other film festival accolades. Among the selections are ELEPHANT, AMERICAN SPLENDOUR, BEHIND THE CANDELABRA, GAME CHANGE, TEMPLE GRANDIN, CONSPIRACY, THE GATHERING STORM, THE NORMAL HEART, and GREY GARDENS.

As well, "Project Latte" is the home to more than 150 titles from the HBO Documentaries library, including Academy Award-nominated 4 LITTLE GIRLS, the Emmy and Peabody award-winning WHEN THE LEVEES BROKE: A REQUIEM IN FOUR ACTS, SIX BY SONDHEIM, and the recent festival favourite SEDUCED AND ABANDONED.

Finally, "Project Latte" will exclusively feature HBO's lineup of close to 160 iconic stand-up comedy specials featuring some of the biggest names in comedy of all time, including George Carlin, Robin Williams, Chris Rock, Ellen DeGeneres, Bill Maher, Dennis Miller, Louis C.K., Sarah Silverman, Margaret Cho, and more.

About "Project Latte"
Created for TV lovers and devoted exclusively to television, "Project Latte" is Canada's premium subscription on-demand service, providing the most robust lineup of hit television content in the country. From TV's most-acclaimed dramas and beloved comedies to documentaries, music, and factual programming, "Project Latte" will feature more than 10,000 hours of non-kids TV programming, with more than 350 unique TV titles. Designed to complement traditional television, the video service gives viewers the ability to watch thousands of hours of hit past and present TV series. Available to all TV providers, "Project Latte" will be delivered via set-top box, apps, online, and other platforms. "Project Latte" is from Bell Media, Canada's premier multi-media company.
Press Release.

EDIT: Here's the official launch announcement for CraveTV: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=2357225
FAQs: www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=2363673

#115 ·
I was just checking to see if you could add CraveTV on-line (Bell Fibe) and found if you go into change programming and key in channel 1310 it brings up the option to add CreaveTV to your existing package for $4. It says it isn't available until December 11th so I didn't add it at this time.

I guess my main question at this time is if you are recording 3 HD programmes can you still watch CreaveTV and if two people are watching CraveTV on different TVs what impact does this have on recording other shows?

#123 ·
No need for me to subscribe. I'd be paying 4 bucks a month extra to get content that I already get either through my Bell Fibe subscription, Canadian and American Netflix or Hulu Plus. If by chance there is anything that I want that I can't locate with any of those services, XBMC on my Adroid TV box will serve my needs just fine.

Bell is missing the boat. Kevin Crull at the press conference sighted some interesting numbers that seem to fly in face of what other sources are saying. Rogers and Shaw last year lost 200000 cable subscribers. Conventional wisdom says that Bell probably lost a similar amount.

There was no mention of a free trial to current subscribers. Netflix offers a free trial- why doesn't Crave?

Also,no support for Roku. No support for the best selling game consoles on the market (Playstation 3 and 4).

Bell is late to the dance here and their product is far from enticing.

#124 ·
Actually you are wrong. Bell Fibe TV had gained over 200.000 new customers last year.
http://business.financialpost.com/2013/11/07/bce-inc-earnings-q3-2013/

Also as a traditional TV customer I am very exited about the new service Crave TV and will be getting it on December 11th for sure. It will be nice addition to my current HBO on demand service and I do not really need any american services or XBMC service that probably is illegal.

#126 ·
I take a look at the day 1 line up when they bother to post it. You think that the one thing they would have ready to show people. Packaging it with TMN tell me they are going for TV shows, and TV shows only. What about the other three movie package? It not a Netflix killer that for sure.

#127 ·
;) You know what might work... if they offered this as a standalone service when you subscribe to BellTV - just select the CraveTV package - no basic package; no good,better,best packages,; no dish/receiver/install.

Sorry to keep ranting about this, but it still bothers me that they lock up a lot of the streaming content through exclusive deals using their large market advantage, and then only offer it up if you also keep their old traditional distribution model.

#128 ·
if you are looking to cancel cable and just watch movies online (no sports, no news telecasts) then crave tv sounds like its NOT for you. Try looking at something else instead. As much as u want it to be standalone, it probably wont, so why waste your time complaining, try looking else where, im sure there are other online sites similar that operate much like net flicks.

#130 ·
paolo, The trouble is that they are using their huge profits from overcharging for internet, TV, Cell, and Landline to buy up the rights so that we can't get that content from other (legit and legal) services. That is what makes me want to waste my time complaining.

#132 ·
And i do understand that. Let me tell you a little story, I lived in a neighborhood once where people were complaining that the local store charges too much for selling bicycles and repairing them, so my family did something, they opened their own business, and sold bikes and stuff at the prices people were asking for. we got lots of customers who were not happy with the competition, but at the same time we lost customers to the competition as well, you win some you loose some, seems like everyone wants showmi or icrave tv to become something it isnt (standalone streaming service that does not require a tv subscription), but no one wants to step up and create a business and actually make what the people want. someone needs to step up and make a competitor for net flicks, otherwise stop complaining.

#133 ·
Bev Fan: The other legit services aren't forcing my to pay an extra $50-$100 for TV service before I have the option to subscribe to their services.

Paolo: Shomi looks to be a legit competitor to Netlfix, except for slimy data cap issues. It seems like any Canadian with internet access will be able to subscribe once the beta is done. I may subscribe. CraveTV is not. It is an advanced VOD service that ties up streaming rights to make it harder for new competitors to appear or thrive.

#134 ·
Crave TV was created strictly for TV customers , not as a stand alone service or as competition to services like Netflix, therefore comparing it to other service makes no sense.

I am pretty sure that if Netflix tried to provide current shows, specialty channels, live sports and live news their cost would be way more than $8 a months so comparing cost of Netflix to regular TV subscription is like comparing apples to oranges.

Once again Netflix and Amazon prime do exactly the same thing that is why Netflix us does not have Shows like Suits for example because Amazon prime has the exclusive rights in the states.
As far as I am concerned Bell and Rogers got the idea from the american services that you love to use as an example of perfect service.

#136 ·
I'm pretty sure Bell could provide those things for far less than it does, if they didn't bundle in 50 channels of total crap that I don't want.

Don't kid yourself. Canadians are increasingly rejecting the current TV model of taking a few good shows and spreading them out over a ton of channels, filling the rest of the time as cheaply as possible, and then charging an arm and a leg for it. It's an inferior distribution model that Bell is trying to defend by tying up the rights so that better business models can't use them.

It's our incumbent oligarchs doing what they do best - offering Canadians second rate service at first rate prices.

#135 ·
Let's just say I am very disappointed as to how this is being rolled out. Locking down thousands of hours of prime exclusive content and tying it to a Bell BDU subscription should not be acceptable to Canadians or the CRTC. It's time to start filing protests with the CRTC. Bell's policies regarding internet streaming discriminate against Canadians who do not have their Fibe service (or an equivalent service from their partners.) That includes many Canadian who live in smaller or remote communities and rural areas. It also discriminates against poorer Canadians and others who live in areas that, for business reasons, Bell has chosen not to service with Fibe. I cancelled DSL internet several years ago because it stopped working properly with Netflix. I cancelled Bell internet, TV and phone due to their insane price increases and cuts in service. FTTN (Fibe) is not available here for reasons only known to Bell. (I suspect it's due to lack of customers for the reasons listed above.)

but no one wants to step up and create a business and actually make what the people want.
Netflix, Google Video, Amazon Prime and dozens of smaller businesses are already doing that. The issue is that there are too many barriers to entry in the Canadian market. That starts with too much concentration of ownership in the Canadian broadcasting industry, companies like Bell holding far too many exclusive rights to programming, owners of Canadian copyrights being unwilling to license content for streaming, Canadian internet companies putting up barriers to customers using internet streaming and regulations that favour Canadian incumbents. Due to these issues, I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix pulled out of the Canadian market sometime in the next few years.

#141 ·
Help/FAQs

• How do I subscribe to CraveTV?
To get started with CraveTV, you'll need to give your TV provider a shout; sign up through your account on their website or by giving them a call. Currently, CraveTV is provided by Bell TV, Bell Aliant, Telus and Eastlink with more coming soon.

If you are a subscriber of The Movie Network or Movie Central with Bell TV, CraveTV is already included with your TV package, at no additional cost. Simply use your online username and password to sign in.
If you are a subscriber of The Movie Network with Bell Aliant, CraveTV is already included with your TV package, at no additional cost. Simply use your online username and password to sign in.

• Can I cancel anytime?
We'd be sad to see you go, but yes. You can cancel your subscription through your television provider, either by calling them or through their website.

• What channel is CraveTV on my Bell, Telus, or Bell Aliant set top box?
* Bell Fibe TV: Press the On Demand button on your remote or go to channel 310/1310
* Telus: Press the On Demand button on your remote or go to channel 411
* Bell Aliant: Press the On Demand button on your remote or go to channel 523

• Are there commercials in CraveTV?
No, CraveTV is completely commercial-free.

• Can I find out what catalogue content there is before I subscribe?
Yes - You don't need a subscription to browse or search the full CraveTV catalogue. Visit www.cravetv.ca or download the app from the Apple App Store or Google Play store.

• Sure, thousands of hours sounds like a lot of TV. But what if I get through all of it?
Not to worry - we're always adding great new content to satisfy your cravings. Sign up for our email newsletter to get alerts when new seasons and series are available.

• Can I watch programs on CraveTV with closed-captioning?
CraveTV programs can be viewed on your set-top box with closed-captions. This feature is coming soon for iOS, Android, and Web.

• Can I watch programs on CraveTV in different languages?
CraveTV programming is available in English only.

Features

• Which devices does CraveTV support?
CraveTV supports the following:
* iPad, iPod and iPhone running iOS 7.1+
* Android tablets and smartphones running version 4.0+
* Mac: 10.6+: Browsers: Safari, Firefox and Chrome
* Windows: IE9+, Firefox, Chrome
CraveTV does not support web browsers on your mobile device.

• How can I watch CraveTV on my TV?
In addition to being able to access CraveTV on demand on your television's set-top box, CraveTV supports AirPlay and Chromecast. Using a mobile device or computer, download the CraveTV app from either the Apple App Store or the Google Play store, connect your Apple TV or Chromecast*, and watch! (*Chromecast support on mobile devices is coming soon!)

• How can I watch CraveTV on my computer?
You can watch CraveTV from your computer at www.cravetv.ca.

• How can I watch CraveTV on my mobile device or tablet?
To watch CraveTV from your mobile device or tablet, simply download the CraveTV app from either the Canadian Apple App Store℠ or the Canadian Google Play™ store.

• Does CraveTV support AirPlay and Chromecast?
CraveTV supports AirPlay. Chromecast is supported when using the Chrome browser on your desktop. Chromecast support for mobile devices is coming soon.

• Does CraveTV have support for other devices?
We are constantly adding new platforms to CraveTV so that you can watch anyway you love watching TV. Check back in for regular updates.

• Can I play video on CraveTV from more than one device at a time?
Yes, members of a household can stream CraveTV concurrently on up to two devices, and also watch content via the set-top box at the same time.

• How many devices can be linked to one CraveTV account?
You may have up to five devices connected to your CraveTV account at any time.

• I am getting a "too many devices" error message. How do I manage my devices?
Visit www.cravetv.ca on your computer or open the CraveTV app on your tablet device. You can de-register devices through the Settings section under "Account".

• Can I use CraveTV when travelling in Canada and the U.S.?
CraveTV can be used anywhere in Canada on your mobile device or computer. CraveTV is not available for use outside Canada.

• How do you search for shows on CraveTV?
You can find your favourite shows on CraveTV through a predictive search field, browsing by titles, or via the "Everything" category in the menu.

• Are programs available on CraveTV in HD?
Yes. CraveTV strives to offer users the best possible viewing experience. The video quality we deliver will depend on the content and your Internet connection and device. We'll automatically detect your connection speed and send you the highest quality stream your connection can support.

• Where can I see ratings for programs on CraveTV?
Ratings for programs on CraveTV will appear on the program's info page on all platforms.

• Why is there so much content in my "Recently Watched" section? Will this interfere with or slow down the product in any way?
CraveTV offers a "Recently Watched" feature, which allows users to easily see the programs they have already watched. The number of items in this section will not interfere with your CraveTV experience in any way.

• What is the difference between "My Cravings" and "Recently Watched"?
The "My Cravings" section saves the last episode of the series you are watching, or adds the next episode available for the series you have been enjoying. If you stop watching the episode on one device, you can pick up where you left off on another.

"Recently Watched" shows you all the content you have enjoyed so far.

• Does CraveTV have parental controls?
Yes, CraveTV has parental controls that allow you to require a PIN when viewing content rated above a particular level. You can find this in "Account Settings", under "Parental Controls". The PIN can be changed at any time, and the Parental Controls setting will be applicable for your account across you mobile devices and computer.

Please note that any parental controls settings on your TV provided through your service provider will not apply to the CraveTV app or website.

Technical - General

• Why am I getting a "video playback error" on my iOS device, Android device or on my Apple TV?
This message will be displayed when you try to watch CraveTV video content on an iOS, Android or Apple TV device that does not have an official release of the OS (operating system) software. CraveTV only supports official releases. "Jailbroken" devices are not supported.

• Will I have the option to select video quality so I can ensure I don't go over my monthly Internet bandwidth allocation?
No, CraveTV was designed for the best TV watching experience possible. It automatically detects your connection speed and sends you the highest quality stream your connection can support. If you have concerns about video streaming consuming your Internet bandwidth allocation, you have the option to use your set-top box.

• Does CraveTV require subscribers to purchase any additional equipment?
CraveTV will be available as a free app on most iOS and Android devices, computers, and On Demand via your set-top box.

• Will streaming content on CraveTV use my cellular data plan?
Use of the CraveTV app on your mobile device via Wi-Fi will count against your Internet data plan when used at home, but not your cellular data plan. If you are using a free Wi-Fi network outside the home, the service will not count to your home Internet data plan or cellular data plan. If you stream content using cellular data, it will count towards your mobile data plan.

• Will streaming content on CraveTV consume my monthly Internet bandwidth allocation?
Watching CraveTV on any device connected to your home network or Wi-Fi will consume bandwidth, similar to other streaming services. If you have concerns about video streaming consuming your Internet bandwidth, you can watch CraveTV on your set-top box.

• How much bandwidth will I use while streaming video on CraveTV?
Streaming video can generally use between 0.2 and 0.9 GB per hour of viewing.

• Will CraveTV use my personal information/data?
CraveTV will never compromise or share personal information received from our customers. Any tracking for measurement purposes is done at an aggregate level and not at an individual one.

We do require a recovery e-mail address to only be used only Parental Controls (if you forget your PIN).

Any and all use of customer information will comply with our Privacy Policy, which can be accessed at http://support.bell.ca/Billing-and-Accounts/Security_and_privacy/How_does_Bell_respect_my_privacy .

• What are the system requirements to access CraveTV from my computer?
For the best video viewing experience you should have a high speed Internet connection. The speed of your connection will determine the quality of the video, and how quickly your episode will begins playing on your computer.

If you are a Windows user, CraveTV requires you to have a least Windows XP with Service Pack 2. If you are a Mac user, you must have Mac OS 10.6 or better.

CraveTV requires the Adobe Flash Player to stream video content. If you do not have the proper version of the Adobe Flash Player installed on your computer you will be required to update it before being able to sign in or watch any video.

• Do I need to disable my anti-virus software or any firewalls in order to access CraveTV on my computer?
CraveTV operates using commonly accessible web protocols (HTTP, HTTPS) on standard ports for which most firewalls will allow access. If you have custom security in place, it may affect the ability of CraveTV to properly function. If you have installed a firewall at home, simply accept the request from your firewall asking if it's okay to access CraveTV. To make CraveTV an exception to your computer's firewall, go to your Internet service provider's online Help section and follow the instructions. For firewalls at work, you will need to contact your company's Information Technology department.

If you require additional assistance, please contact help@cravetv.ca or call us at 1-888-CRAVETV (272-8388)

• Do I need to adjust any web browser security settings on my computer to watch CraveTV?
When you log in, you are logging in with your TV Service Provider username and password, and because we don't ever see your username or password, to watch CraveTV, your browser must enable "Third Party Cookies," and must have the ability to use secure connections. Other than that, standard browser settings will work fine. The following links will provide more details:
*Remove third party cookies on Firefox
*Remove third party cookies on Chrome
*Remove third party cookies on Internet Explorer
*Remove third party cookies on Safari

• Is special software needed to watch CraveTV on a computer?
Special software is not required, just your preferred Web browser and the Adobe Flash Player. Install the latest Adobe Flash Player.

• Do I need a specific web browser to access CraveTV?
CraveTV will work on the most up-to-date versions of Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.

Steps to download:
Visit the browser's home page that you want to update:
* Chrome: www.google.com/chrome, then select the "Download Now" button
* Firefox: www.mozilla.org/firefox/new , then select the "Download a Fresh Copy" link
* Internet Explorer: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/download-ie, then select the "Get Internet Explorer" button
* Safari: http://support.apple.com/downloads/#safari

• Can I set video quality settings on a per device basis?
No, CraveTV sets the video quality according to your device's ability and the speed of the connection you use so you can enjoy your show in the best quality available.

------------
There are additional "signing in" and troubleshooting FAQs at http://help.cravetv.ca/

#237 ·
I put the link to my FAQ summary in the first post that answers these types of questions:
• Can I play video on CraveTV from more than one device at a time?
Yes, members of a household can stream CraveTV concurrently on up to two devices, and also watch content via the set-top box at the same time.

• How many devices can be linked to one CraveTV account?
You may have up to five devices connected to your CraveTV account at any time.
Bell also said they are working on a method where devices connected to your Bell home network will automatically be logged in. I'm not sure if CraveTV will count all devices or only devices outside the home in this case.

#142 ·
well i signed up for CraveTV and from the brief look at it b4 heading to work this morning i think i will like it. I have Netflix and UnblockUS and they are costing me 13bux a month. And the funny thing about that is i found i was rarely using it. So they are cancelled now.

the only thing i hope gets fixed is the (atleast as far i i can see so far) the content thru the set top box is about 5% of what is available thru a browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.