Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bell Media Launches CraveTV Streaming Service

166K views 552 replies 105 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 · (Edited)
Bell Media announced today it will soon launch a new video streaming service devoted exclusively to the best content on television. From the company with more than a decade of leadership delivering Canada's most-watched and most-acclaimed television programming across the Pay, Specialty, and Network TV landscapes, the on-demand subscription service, currently code-named "Project Latte", will feature thousands of hours of content representing TV's top premium brands including, it was confirmed today, HBO. With content from all key Hollywood major and independent studios, "Project Latte" does not duplicate existing services, but instead features additive and exclusive programming.

Now available to every TV provider in Canada, "Project Latte" is designed to enhance the value of the subscription television ecosystem. "Project Latte" will therefore be made available to all TV subscribers in the country, pending agreements with participating TV providers, on their traditional set-top box, as well as via mobile apps, the web, and other platforms including game consoles and Smart TVs. Additional details will be announced in the weeks to come.

"We built Project Latte as a complementary service that will delight and amaze viewers with thousands of hours of premium entertainment available on-demand and on the device of their choice," said Kevin Crull, President, Bell Media. "Project Latte addresses a significant gap in the Canadian TV system and allows TV providers to greatly enhance the value they provide to their clients. We are incredibly excited about the potential for this product and how it fits into our overall portfolio of Canada's best television brands and programs."

"If you like TV, you will love Project Latte's program lineup," said Mike Cosentino, Senior Vice-President, Programming, Bell Media. "Our singular focus on TV series, along with our established studio relationships in Hollywood and beyond, means we are uniquely positioned and hyper-focused on delivering the best TV programs to the most-devoted TV lovers. While our extensive HBO deal is a game-changer and instantly makes us a viewer favourite, HBO content comprises only 10% of our planned inventory at launch. Stay tuned as Project Latte's complete lineup is revealed in the weeks to come."

HBO is the first of many world-class content partners announced for "Project Latte", which, further to Bell Media's previously announced agreement, will be the Canadian home of the entire off-air library of HBO's iconic programming catalogue. As confirmed today, "Project Latte" will feature the entire HBO scripted library, featuring some of the most-celebrated television programming of all time. In addition to THE SOPRANOS and SEX AND THE CITY, additional Emmy® and Golden Globe® Award-winning HBO classic series to be available on "Project Latte" include SIX FEET UNDER, BAND OF BROTHERS, CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM, BIG LOVE, ENTOURAGE, OZ, IN TREATMENT, HUNG, ROME, and DEADWOOD, among others. "Project Latte" will also feature creator David Simon's newly re-mastered version of THE WIRE, which will be presented in HD for the first time.

"Project Latte" will also showcase the complete HBO Films catalogue of nearly 100 titles that have been the recipients of countless Academy®, Golden Globe, Peabody, and Emmy Awards, as well as the Palme d'Or and other film festival accolades. Among the selections are ELEPHANT, AMERICAN SPLENDOUR, BEHIND THE CANDELABRA, GAME CHANGE, TEMPLE GRANDIN, CONSPIRACY, THE GATHERING STORM, THE NORMAL HEART, and GREY GARDENS.

As well, "Project Latte" is the home to more than 150 titles from the HBO Documentaries library, including Academy Award-nominated 4 LITTLE GIRLS, the Emmy and Peabody award-winning WHEN THE LEVEES BROKE: A REQUIEM IN FOUR ACTS, SIX BY SONDHEIM, and the recent festival favourite SEDUCED AND ABANDONED.

Finally, "Project Latte" will exclusively feature HBO's lineup of close to 160 iconic stand-up comedy specials featuring some of the biggest names in comedy of all time, including George Carlin, Robin Williams, Chris Rock, Ellen DeGeneres, Bill Maher, Dennis Miller, Louis C.K., Sarah Silverman, Margaret Cho, and more.

About "Project Latte"
Created for TV lovers and devoted exclusively to television, "Project Latte" is Canada's premium subscription on-demand service, providing the most robust lineup of hit television content in the country. From TV's most-acclaimed dramas and beloved comedies to documentaries, music, and factual programming, "Project Latte" will feature more than 10,000 hours of non-kids TV programming, with more than 350 unique TV titles. Designed to complement traditional television, the video service gives viewers the ability to watch thousands of hours of hit past and present TV series. Available to all TV providers, "Project Latte" will be delivered via set-top box, apps, online, and other platforms. "Project Latte" is from Bell Media, Canada's premier multi-media company.
Press Release.

EDIT: Here's the official launch announcement for CraveTV: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=2357225
FAQs: www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=2363673

#84 ·
Do they say what channel it'll be on? I'm guessing 1001 for Fibe TV?

Also I think its about time Bell reward their "Loyal Traditional TV Subs". Not everyone is on the Computer/Lap Top/IPod/Smart Phone/IOS/Tablet Generation 'Bang Wagon' :mad: some of us are still "Old School" :cool: and like using their TV with their set top box and can't be bothered setting it up via computer or other non TV device.

I'll defiantly be subscribing.

#90 ·
I wonder if they're going to do a free trial for Bell TV customers like Shomi is. I'd definitely check it out.

Not sure what the cord cutters are compaining about, as it says quite clearly in the press release that they're not targeting you. They're targeting people like me with TV service that might pay a bit more for instant access to a big back catalog.

Now get some kids stuff in there, Netflix Kids is seemingly half of what my TV is showing these days.

#91 ·
Why would Bell cater to cord cutters? They're trying to patch the bleeding due to the increase of cord cutters.

This is an attempt to entice current Bell customers to stay and to bring back some ARPU from those who have downgraded their packages because they've supplemented their regular TV viewing with online content. In addition, having access to these programming rights will prevent Netflix from obtaining them so it may entice certain people to sign up with a Bell TV, Internet and Crave Bundle.

#120 ·
Was talking to a CSR earlier and Crave TV will be on the air on Dec 11 at a cost of $4.00 per month but if you have TMN package it will will be free as long as you have the TMN package on your account.
I see you are in NB. What provider do you have? I just got off chat with Telus and they say that Crave is $4 / month and is NOT included in The Movie Network package.

#94 ·
During today's official announcement and a question and answer session, Mike Cosentino emphasised that watching CraveTV from your existing FibeTV set-top box will not count against your monthly internet usage. I guess this would mean that your existing number of Fibe IPTV bandwidth streams (SD/HD) 1/3 will be affected by watching CraveTV (?)

#99 · (Edited)
Nice going, Bell, you're just contributing to further collusion against cord cutters and digital competition.

Both Shomi and Crave operate under the same methodology, that access to any premium film and television content on the internet has to be tied to a cable subscription. While the TV Everywhere model is fair, this content should be offered as part of our subscriptions to these networks, rather than plopped into yet another service that users must pay for.

The collusion of these services effectively splinters content between multiple services that are seemingly similar, but are still treated as an aspect of an overall television subscription rather than available standalone on all providers.
[ thus still forcing you to stay within their monopoly. and their bandwidth caps.]

Even worse, these services may or may not be offered on a standalone basis because of their inherent biases towards the incumbent corporations. These services should be kept separate from the fully online services such as Amazon, Netflix etc.
[ unless you use Bell or Shaw, in which you are guaranteed access to at least one. But will they offer each other's Subscription premium cable video-on-demand package? No. ]

And that concludes my rant, performed in a cohesive tribute to a certain other user on this forum.
[ because I'm that annoyed by these anti-competitive actions.]

#100 ·
At $4/month, it looks like the majority of their content will be from broadcast TV. And my understanding is that it will only be available to BDU subscribers. No love for "cord cutters", apparently.

Support for tablets, phones, xbox, PC's, cable STB and Samsung Smart TV's. No indication of Apple TV, Chromecast or Roku support.

#103 ·
Support for tablets, phones, xbox, PC's, cable STB and Samsung Smart TV's. No indication of Apple TV, Chromecast or Roku support.
From the press release:
In addition, CraveTV will be available at launch on iOS, including Airplay, as well as Android handsets and tablets via the CraveTV app, and online at CraveTV.ca. And early next year CraveTV will be available on the Xbox gaming consoles, Windows 8, Windows Phone, Samsung Smart TVs, and Chromecast.
Airplay works for Apple TV, but Apple won't release the development kit for native Apple TV apps to anyone outside the U.S. Bell Media is still in discussions with Apple on the subject.

At $4/month, it looks like the majority of their content will be from broadcast TV.
That's true, but about 10% is HBO - "850 hours of past scripted programming alone, as well as hundreds of hours of HBO movies, documentaries, and stand-up and music specials", plus other series that originated on specialty channels, such as MASTERS OF SEX, NURSE JACKIE, HOMELAND, GRACELAND, THE FALL, DALLAS, THE LAST SHIP, 19-2 and UTOPIA.

#106 ·
Bell's though is the only one tied to the TV account.

Currently, SHOMI for rogers is not.
while in BETA, its still tied to being a rogers/shaw customer, but avail to TV or Internet subscribers.
And after beta, plans to release to outside of rogers customers.

Crave.. is really just a Paid for, fuller content, OD service?

#108 ·
I am with Bell Fibe and they have already add an "coming soon" screen at channel 1310.

But it's not with old reruns of this and old reruns of that, that they will get me interested in paying an additional 4$.

I'm not a subscriber of Netflix but every time I look to maybe subscribe, independent and foreign films, series like japanese anime that I would never see on traditional TV, was certainly something that I was interested in. Right now, it doesn't seems like CraveTv will offer anything like that. Twin Peaks, it's the only thing remotely interesting (and that I never saw) that seems available.

#113 ·
It seems to me that the vast majority of Bell TV customers still receive their programming from satellite receivers (I have a 9400) yet they will have no access to Crave TV. Seems rather short sighted on their part. I would be interested in it at a mere $4.00 a month but I am shite out of luck. By the way Fibe TV is not available where I live! :mad::mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.