HBO Canada acquires all past episodes of current series - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 2014-09-04, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

HBO Canada acquires all past episodes of current series

Bell Media and Corus Entertainment Sign Landmark Deal with HBO

Beginning this fall, HBO Canada enhances its service to deliver every episode of every season of all current HBO scripted series and more

Bell Media and Corus Entertainment announced today a landmark multi-year, multi-platform deal with HBO that will see HBO Canada exclusively deliver the entire past-season library of every HBO scripted series currently on air for years to come. The deal immediately strengthens HBO Canada's consumer offering, and will roll out in full force this fall. HBO Canada is a multiplex channel of Bell Media's The Movie Network (Eastern Canada) and Corus Entertainment's Movie Central (Western Canada).

For the first time ever, every episode of every season of all current HBO scripted programming will be available on HBO Canada linear and non-linear platforms. All past seasons of some of the most acclaimed programs currently on television, including GAME OF THRONES, GIRLS, BOARDWALK EMPIRE, and TRUE DETECTIVE, will immediately become available to subscribers of The Movie Network and Movie Central at no additional charge. The deal includes the rights to more than 700 episodes from past seasons of current programs, in addition to the 300+ episodes of HBO series that are already available.

Subscribers will now be able to catch-up on past seasons via on-demand and video-streaming services in time for the broadcast premieres of the latest seasons on HBO Canada. In Eastern Canada, episodes will be available on TMN GO and HBO Canada OnDemand. In Western Canada, episodes will be available on the go with Shaw Go Movie Central app, Bell TV app, Telus Optik on the go, and HBO Canada On Demand.

Full Press Release.

It sounds like this deal is oriented to "catch-up" viewing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 2014-09-04, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Bell Media Acquires HBO's Iconic Programming Library

** CLARIFICATION: THE FOLLOWING ANNOUNCEMENT BY BELL MEDIA IS A SEPARATE AGREEMENT BETWEEN HBO U.S. AND BELL MEDIA FOR OLDER HBO CONTENT **

Exclusive deal brings more than 800 hours of past HBO programming to Bell Media

Bell Media announced today an unprecedented agreement with HBO for the exclusive Canadian multi-platform rights to HBO's complete off-air catalogue of seminal television programming. The agreement complements the announcement earlier today that HBO Canada has secured the entire past-season library of every HBO series currently on air.

Separate and distinct from the HBO Canada deal, Bell Media has exclusively acquired, for future exploitation, the national multi-platform rights, including SVOD, for the entire off-air library of HBO's iconic programming catalogue. The acquisition represents more than 850 hours of past scripted programming alone, as well as hundreds of hours of HBO movies, documentaries, and stand-up and music specials.

This additional programming is on top of the nearly 700 hours of HBO Canada content announced earlier, which will see every episode of every season of all current HBO programming available on linear and non-linear platforms for the first time this fall.

Full Press Release.

It sounds like Bell Media acquired the older HBO content for their future streaming service.

In case anyone is interested, Amazon Prime owns the exclusive streaming rights in the U.S.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2014-09-05 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Added clarification
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 2014-09-05, 12:17 AM
Veteran

Thumbs down

To me, this looks more like a preemptive strike against Amazon and its video service. Barring the launch of any separate video streaming service, Canadians will be forced to subscribe to TMN Canada to get the HBO content. Canadians will be forced to also subscribe to a Bell TV service in order to access the exclusive Bell Media content.

This is exactly why Canadians are so badly served by streaming media services. Canadian broadcasters and copyright owners are using huge cash windfalls from Canadian protectionist policies to obtain exclusive rights for vast amounts of programming and music. That content, which is available on inexpensive streaming services in other countries, is tied up by Canadian companies that withhold access or overcharge for it.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 2014-09-05, 05:45 AM

I couldn't have said it better myself, ExDilbert.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 2014-09-05, 07:48 AM
Veteran

i also agree ex dilbert, its about time they did something like this. good job hbo canada
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 2014-09-05, 08:07 AM
Veteran

Paulo, you are contradicting yourself because ExDilbert criticizes the move by HBO.

For myself, since I am HBO subscriber this is an excellent move by HBO canada.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 2014-09-05, 09:03 AM
Veteran

Unfortunately, its only good for BELL customers with HBO.

But that seems to be the way with MOST media stuff in Canada.. EXCLUSIVES for company A or B.

Looks like this is their first acquisition move in their Netflix / Shomi equivalent.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 2014-09-05, 09:42 AM
Veteran

Well, it looks that canadian own companies are not rolling over and playing dead, they are taking on challenges that were brought on them by foreign own companies like Netflix, Hulu Plus or cord cutting enthusiasts.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 2014-09-05, 11:27 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev fan View Post
Paulo, you are contradicting yourself because ExDilbert criticizes the move by HBO.

For myself, since I am HBO subscriber this is an excellent move by HBO canada.
It didnt seem like he was critizing hbo, im a hbo subscriber and i think why not have accses to all hbo episodes since day 1? i tried to watch that game of thorns show, and hbogo only had the latest season/episode, we had to use some internet streaming to watch earlier ones, which i really was against doing and i hated, but now i dont have to do that crap, so if its a good ting to me why would i see ex dilbert criticise it? he should also know its a good thing too, right? so i dont see why he would bad mouth it? and if its an hbo decision why would it affect onyl bell? other people outside of bell have hbo too, like rogers and video tron and cogeco, right? it woudl benefit them too
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 2014-09-05, 11:31 AM
Veteran

While it says that HBO Canada obtained it.. there is this.

Quote:
Exclusive deal brings more than 800 hours of past HBO programming to Bell Media

"Bell Media announced today an unprecedented agreement with HBO for the exclusive Canadian multi-platform rights to HBO's complete off-air catalogue of seminal television programming. The agreement complements the announcement earlier today that HBO Canada has secured the entire past-season library of every HBO series currently on air.
"
Would more denote, its only to bell media subscribers?

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 2014-09-05, 12:31 PM
Veteran

the subscribers of bell media would be cable companies like rogers, telus, bell, video tron, cogeco, source cable, etc
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 2014-09-05, 01:25 PM

I'm a Cogeco cable subscriber. Cogeco has many Bell Media channels on it. Therefore, I subscribe to Bell Media.

So if you have HBO or you are borrowing someone's password to use TMN/HBO Go on a streaming device, you're winning. My question is this: right now TMN/HBO On Demand takes certain movies/shows away after a period of time (for example, Season 4 of Game of Thrones is set to expire at the end of September, according to TMN Go). Will this new deal mean the end of expiring movies/shows?
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 2014-09-05, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

I may have confused some people by posting both HBO agreements in the same thread.

Note that the agreement with HBO Canada is for current series to allow viewers to catch up on all the past episodes - "every episode of every season of all current HBO scripted series."

The agreement between HBO U.S. and Bell Media is a separate agreement for the old series that are not currently airing. Bell Media hasn't said exactly how they will make these available to Canadians.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 2014-09-05, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
To me, this looks more like a preemptive strike against Amazon and its video service. Barring the launch of any separate video streaming service, Canadians will be forced to subscribe to TMN Canada to get the HBO content. Canadians will be forced to also subscribe to a Bell TV service in order to access the exclusive Bell Media content.
If Amazon wanted the Canadian streaming rights, I'm sure they could have included those in their negotiations when they got the U.S. rights this spring. Amazon only has the U.S. rights to old series and won't have the right to stream to stream current shows until 3 years after they air. As well they don't have certian series such as "Game of Thrones," "Sex and the City," "Entourage" and "Curb Your Enthusiasm."

There's no indication that "Canadians will be forced to also subscribe to a Bell TV service" to watch the old series.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 2014-09-05, 10:35 PM
Veteran

I read the two announcements to mean there was a separate agreement with Bell Media for some content, which may cost extra, above and beyond the HBO Canada agreement. Canadians will be required to subscribe to a BDU plus TMN to get most of the content. That's not much different than in the US.

I believe the quote below applies to the content for which Amazon acquired US rights. That means it won't be available on Amazon Prime in Canada, which dilutes the value of Amazon Prime to Canadians. I also don't see how Bell is planning to exploit the content. If it's with a future Bell Media streaming service, that will be another added cost to Canadians. In the meantime, it will be unavailable, except on DVD. If Bell Media decides to make the content available only via an HBO Canada or BDU subscription, that means Canadians will need to pay about 10 times as much as US Amazon Prime customers.

Quote:
Separate and distinct from the HBO Canada deal, Bell Media has exclusively acquired, for future exploitation, the national multi-platform rights, including SVOD, for the entire off-air library of HBO's iconic programming catalogue. The acquisition represents more than 850 hours of past scripted programming alone, as well as hundreds of hours of HBO movies, documentaries, and stand-up and music specials.
In any case, it still emphasizes how Canadian media companies, such as Bell Media, are locking up content that is available on services such as Netflix or Amazon Prime in other countries. If anyone has any issue with the lack of content on Netflix Canada or the fact that Amazon Prime is missing the video service in Canada, this is why.

Tags
hbo canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in