Emergency Alerts Coming to TV/Radio/Cell Phone in Canada - Page 36 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

237Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #526 of 693 (permalink) Old 2019-06-19, 09:46 PM

Sorry Majortom but I'm with Audacity on this one.

The idea and implementation behind this system was poorly thought out. Remember the story about the boy who cried wolf too often?

The system should have been designed with the option for the end user to opt out of receiving the alerts. As a result, hundreds of complaint calls go to 911 dispatch every time these alerts go off which actually hampers the authorities. Sure go ahead and charge these 911 complainers and tie up court systems already overburdened. Not the answer.

If alerts are sent out for every custody battle, the system as it stands will fail on its on merits.
emmy1500 likes this.

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #527 of 693 (permalink) Old 2019-06-20, 12:52 AM
Veteran

It's especially bad when the system has a specific category for AMBER alerts, and that category is being bypassed, and everything is a presidential alert.

I'm considering making a "how to" tutorial to explain to Android users how to disable presidential alerts in a easy-to-follow step-by-step process. Of course, I'd leave the AMBER alert, Extreme threats, and Severe threats channels open, but shut down the abuse of the "presidential" channel.

We don't even have a president, anyway.

In today's particular case, the AMBER alert was for a situation hundreds of kilometers away, and according to the information in the news reports, sending a presidential alert to everyone in Alberta was extremely unnecessary.

No matter. Anything that technology can do, more technology can undo. Worst case, you just would end up nuking CellBroadcastReceiver.apk.
Gentleman and emmy1500 like this.
post #528 of 693 (permalink) Old 2019-06-20, 07:34 AM
Veteran

Quote:
The system should have been designed with the option for the end user to opt out of receiving the alerts.
How many would be left to hear the alerts?

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

post #529 of 693 (permalink) Old 2019-06-20, 09:00 AM

I am with Audacity as well.
We still are not dependent on our mobile phones so they are left nowhere near the bedroom at night. We don’t have a landline phone in the bedroom either.

I would be even more annoyed if one of those alerts went off on my mobile while I was driving on a busy expressway especially if it was snow or ice covered. Maybe, just maybe, I could stay straight but could everyone else...perhaps it would be me who jerked the wheel and caused a crash?

So I would allow the do not disturb and the do not disturb while driving modes to ignore the alerts.

To be very incorrect. I don’t really care about anything less than a tornado or war breaking out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #530 of 693 (permalink) Old 2019-06-20, 11:12 AM
Veteran

its not a problem with technology, its really a problem with society. Society is too dependant on their phones that they keep them on next to their bed, and complain about every little beep or ding it makes. This problem can easily be solved by putting your phones in do not disturb mode or silcence the ringer when you goto bed, but its tooo difficult for society to do that they would rather be vocal about it and complain to 911 operators which is illegal btw. sometimes the solution is right infront of us and its nothing to do with technology, its the fact we are too reliant on it and too lazy to do simple things. do u guys keep your tv on all night? i bet not, so yeah the TV amber alerts do not bother you in your sleep cus its likely your sleeping with the tv off, but why keep your phones on? well cus your expecting an important call or message, if not, shut that ish down! problem solved
post #531 of 693 (permalink) Old 2019-06-21, 05:52 PM
Veteran

Well this doesn't bode well......

https://www.androidcentral.com/presi...ofed-using-lte
Gentleman likes this.
post #532 of 693 (permalink) Old 2019-06-21, 10:18 PM
Veteran

Quote:
It's said that digital signatures could be added to the alerts, making it "far more difficult to send spoofed messages", but that it isn't a "magical solution."
I would think that a digital signature would be a requirement for all alerts by design. It's starting to look like the alert system was designed by a government committee rather than experienced standards engineers.
Gentleman likes this.
post #533 of 693 (permalink) Old 2019-06-21, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17671 View Post
but why keep your phones on? well cus your expecting an important call or message, if not, shut that ish down! problem solved
You do know that cell phones have other uses besides a phone? Years ago, I had an "alarm clock" next to my bedside to wake me in the morning for work. Today many cell phones are used as alarm clocks to wake the user. So shutting off the phone or putting it in another room is not an option.

The fix is readily at hand. But the powers that be haven't figured that out yet.

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778
post #534 of 693 (permalink) Old 2019-06-22, 01:16 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17671
This problem can easily be solved by putting your phones in do not disturb mode or silcence the ringer when you goto bed
You're giving me the horrible impression of someone who doesn't read the posts they're replying to.

The central problem here is that presidential alerts ignore your ringer volume and "do not disturb" modes. They blast out at full volume.
post #535 of 693 (permalink) Old 2019-06-22, 01:22 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
FYI, on my iPhone 5S, if I turn the ringer off (switch on the side), I don't hear anything, but the vibration of the phone, which I leave on. The phone sits in a dish in the kitchen, so I don't hear it unless I'm nearby and hear it "rattle". I don't recall getting any Presidential Alerts, only Amber Alerts.The phones that get Presidential Alerts are usually ones purchased in the US.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #536 of 693 (permalink) Old 2019-06-22, 03:40 PM
Veteran

@57 , in Canada over the past year I haven't received anything other than presidential alerts. All the AMBER alerts and the weather warnings were categorized as "presidential" and didn't use the categories that were intended for those sorts of alerts.

This is on Android phones (Google Pixel phones, specifically). But those alerts (protocol-wise) wouldn't have been any different for your iPhone. I haven't tested a iPhone with the physical alarm switch turned to "off", but I imagine it would work the same way as iPhones behave with the switch off when you use the "find my iPhone" feature and ask it to make noise.
post #537 of 693 (permalink) Old 2019-06-22, 04:27 PM
Veteran

... And yet, on all my Androids, putting the phone in silent mode has muted these alerts. I get that Canada is using the wrong type of alerts for these cases, but having the phone on silent mode doesn't normally trigger the alert sound either. Do Not Disturb is different as you can allow exceptions (and these alerts do just that), but silent mode doesn't let anything go through
post #538 of 693 (permalink) Old 2019-06-22, 06:19 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
... in Canada over the past year I haven't received anything other than presidential alerts....
Then you must have a US phone, or something else odd. We don't have a president, so we don't have presidential alerts. I've received only Amber alerts on my phone in Ontario.

Here are the types of alerts in Canada:

https://www.alertready.ca/#types (Amber is under Civil)
Dr.Dave likes this.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #539 of 693 (permalink) Old 2019-06-22, 06:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman View Post
Sorry Majortom but I'm with Audacity on this one.

The idea and implementation behind this system was poorly thought out. Remember the story about the boy who cried wolf too often?

The system should have been designed with the option for the end user to opt out of receiving the alerts. As a result, hundreds of complaint calls go to 911 dispatch every time these alerts go off which actually hampers the authorities. Sure go ahead and charge these 911 complainers and tie up court systems already overburdened. Not the answer.

If alerts are sent out for every custody battle, the system as it stands will fail on its on merits.
People also call 911 to complain about cold Chicken McNuggets, so is that a design flaw in McDonalds? Or maybe just that people are total bloody morons?

Fine them a few hundred bucks every time they abuse 911 like this and the problem will sort itself out.
post #540 of 693 (permalink) Old 2019-06-23, 03:04 PM
Veteran

i put my phone on silent, it silences the alert. their phone does not do that? well that is what they get for buying a grey market phone.
nfitz likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in