Rogers and Shaw Launching SHOMI streaming video - Page 17 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #241 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-01-04, 03:48 PM

Netflix says they are not dropping accounts. Unfounded speculation, so far.

Engadget:
Quote:
Update: Netflix tells us that there's been "no change" in the way it handles VPNs
http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/03/n...lshare_twitter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-01-05, 09:46 AM

A few off-topic posts were moved to the following thread:

Netflix to start blocking VPN/DNS users?
post #243 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-01-22, 03:54 AM

Does anyone know where I can find a list of shows/movies available on shomi?

post #244 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-01-22, 01:55 PM

According to the the Shaw forum the only way to see what's on shomi is to subscribe.

https://community.shaw.ca/message/99557#99557
post #245 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-01-22, 05:11 PM
Veteran

Quote:
According to the the Shaw forum the only way to see what's on shomi is to subscribe.
Which is very consistent with Shaw's business model (not that others don't do this).

Basically, sign up for a free trial so we get your foot in the door, then hopefully do nothing and you're on the hook, with of course the impossibility to cancel your account through self serve nor Shomi website.

There should be rules in place forcing companies that allow you to add services through a self-serve site to unsubscribe in a similar fashion.
post #246 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-01-22, 06:59 PM
Veteran

That just tells me their selection sucks. If it didn't, they would be more willing to show it off to potential subscribers (ala Crave).
post #247 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-01-22, 07:23 PM

Absolute douchebaggery by Shaw.
post #248 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-01-22, 07:27 PM

I agrees PokerChip - consistent with the model. The fact is that others do do this, including Netflix and Rogers with NextIssue...whether it's douchbaggery or not as Wheelman says remains to be seen when I go to cancel after free 3 months in February...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #249 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-01-22, 07:31 PM

I didn't wait for three months, I cancelled after 3 days. On the shaw forum thread on shomi the most popular topic is cancellation.
post #250 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-01-22, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckycat View Post

https://community.shaw.ca/message/99557#99557
Isn't Netflix the same? There are third party sites that keep track of what is available on Netflix.
post #251 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-01-23, 10:56 AM

shomi just got better with shomi Exclusives, bringing critically acclaimed Original Series to Canadians for the first time. Ever.

TORONTO, Jan. 22, 2015 /CNW/ As part of the shomi Exclusives launch, shomi has signed an agreement with Sony Pictures Television in Canada that provides Canadians with exclusive SVOD access to a lineup of Amazon Original Series, never-before-seen north of the border. The agreement includes the award-winning series Transparent – a groundbreaking drama from creator, writer and director Jill Soloway (Six Feet Under) that just won a pair of Golden Globes – as well as Betas, Alpha House and Mozart in the Jungle. Currently, these groundbreaking series are unavailable on any other linear TV channel or SVOD service in Canada.

All 10 episodes of Transparent will be available on shomi tomorrow. Launch dates for Mozart in the Jungle, Alpha House, and Betas will be announced in the coming weeks.

shomi is available now in beta first to Rogers and Shaw Internet or cable customers, while conversations continue with other BDUs. With an all-star lineup of exclusive past-seasons of many of the hottest shows on television as well as movie favourites, Canadians are able to enjoy shomi online and on select tablets, mobile devices, and set top boxes (on Rogers Channel 300 or through the Shaw On Demand menu) and Xbox 360. shomi will also be coming soon to Chromecast.

Full Press Release including show descriptions.
post #252 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-01-23, 11:49 AM

Wonder how long they are going to call it beta? I guess they can use it as an excuse for any issues.
post #253 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-01-23, 12:46 PM

Gmail was in beta for 5 years.

I think Rogers and Shaw are using the beta label while they keep it on their own systems. They will probably drop the Beta once it becomes available on other suppliers.

EDIT: I just checked page 1 of this thread and found this - "Shomi will remain in beta for the first six to 12 months, before it is available to other subscribers in Canada."
post #254 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-01-23, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Gmail was in beta for 5 years.
Didn't know that, although Gmail is free. Maybe shomi should be free as long as it's in beta form.
post #255 of 415 (permalink) Old 2015-01-23, 04:43 PM

Betas is an amazon show, as is Alpha House. The fact Rogers is schilling this after amazon has already run seasons one and two and not renewed Beta's kinda shows what sort of service Canadians can expect from this "premium" service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_House

P.S. I've watched both seasons of Alphahouse, it's very well done and funny, Bill Murray makes a few candid appearances.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in