AZBOX Canada: Is this company reputable? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 2014-06-26, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

AZBOX Canada: Is this company reputable?

It seems that AZBox FTA receivers are becoming popular around here so I thought I would do some investigation into the company and product to find out more.

My research turned up stuff which I think many potential buyers should consider before buying this product.

First the website. I went to the AZbox.ca website and what I found was suspicious. There was no contact phone number (unusual for any business) and only this address

Quote:
AzBox Canada
2 Gary Ave.
Suite B
Hamilton, ON
L8S 1Y3 CANADA
A quick search of the internet and I found that this was a rooming house with 9 rooms that are typically rented out to college students. This is a very unusual business address to say the least!

Under support: The site points to two forums for official. This one and one at satelliteguys.us. At the other forum, a member by the name of "pwrsurge" seems to be supporting the product.

After some more investigation, I realized that the AZbox website was almost a carbon copy of Dr. Sat's website except with different colours.

In a private message, Serge Cormier of Dr. Sat told me

Quote:
Dr. Sat - The Satellite Doctor does NOT own or have any involvement with AzBox Canada other than being one of AzBox Canada's authorized dealers.
My advice to anyone considering these products is to avoid them.

If something goes wrong, do you really expect the manufacturer who doesn't have a phone number and whose address is a rooming house to fix the product.

While the products have distributors, they typically wash their hands of any problems 14 or 30 days after purchase and refer you to the manufacturer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 2014-06-26, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Quote:
DrSat is promoting them at DHC
DSGamby, it was DrSat's review of the AZBox that intrigued me and got me to find out more about the product and the company. As you can imagine, I am always interested in new products and new companies and am intrigued by the piracy situation in Canada so new FTA boxes, IKS discussions etc always grab my interest.

After more investigation, the AZBOX.com site contains no information about the company. I did whois searches on AZbox.ca, Azboxusa.com and AZbox.com. The AZBOX.com url is out of Hong Kong, the azboxusa.com is not available, and the owner of the azbox.us and AZBOX.ca site is Serge Cormier (i.e./ Dr.Sat)

Unusual that a distributor would own the manufacturers URL but not out of the question.

Last edited by hugh; 2014-06-26 at 11:14 AM. Reason: DSGamby removed his post but this post was in response to his comments
post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 2014-06-26, 12:41 PM

Many outlets of FTA receivers in the GTA sell receivers with the stipulation that you are on your own. Some dealers offer in store warranty service at extra cost.
If you are going to target Dr Sat then you should also research the other dealers as well and present your findings. otherwise I have to assume you have an ax to grind.

OTA, CM4221HD, 3410 amp, 4 way split, HW-150 PVR.
FTA, Openbox S9, 33” dish, PLL LNBF. Stab 90HH.

post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 2014-06-26, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

JorgeK, profits in the FTA industry have come primarily through Piracy and deceit. The bulk of FTA devices and dealers (note I said bulk and not all!) over the years have been fly by night and have left a lot of consumers with useless devices and a lot less money in their pocket.

I've spent the last 13 plus years warning individuals about the hazards of satellite piracy and other consumer electronic rip-offs. By the same token, I have spent 13 plus years introducing people to high quality products and services.

I've always felt that If an installer, dealer or manufacturer posts on the site extolling the virtues of a product they are selling then its incumbent upon them to be up front about their relationship with the company along with financial interest with full disclosure.

(FYI: See this rule which cost me a lot of lost revenue when I owned the site but was designed to protect members from posters who were posing as consumers or objective third parties)

post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 2014-06-26, 03:44 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Exclamation Full Disclosure Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh
If an installer, dealer or manufacturer posts on the site extolling the virtues of a product they are selling then its incumbent upon them to be up front about their relationship with the company along with financial interest with full disclosure.
If Serge Cormier (Dr.Sat) is using our dear site to shill his own FTA gear then he needs to come forward and clearly explain to everyone how and why no criticism or objective discussion of AZBox FTA receivers is being allowed by him, and he needs to outline all the steps he is now putting in place to open up threads to any and all rule-abiding comments on those AZBox FTA receivers, regardless of whether they are positive or negative.

In case anyone is wondering, Post #8 in the OTA FAQ tells all about me. I have never received any financial or other benefit from any of my work on this site apart from personal satisfaction. I am not now, nor have I ever been the recipient of any financial or other benefit from the OTA Forum's wonderful sponsors, saveandreplay.com

I hope all these FTA Forum troubles go away soon because this is unfortunately free publicity for the mysterious AZBox products.

post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 2014-06-26, 05:26 PM
Veteran

I find this thread a little disconcerting.

A forum sponsor is being attacked by i) the previous owner of the site and ii) a current moderator.

The fact that the previous owner would not stand for personal attacks make this doubly disturbing.

If you think this company is doing something illegal why not just report it to the proper authorities?

If I was the sponsor in question, I would be i) retaining legal counsel about these posts and ii) would be seriously considering if you want to be spending your sponsorship dollars in a place that allows such attacks.
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 2014-06-26, 11:04 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Well well, a legal threat?

From the Rules of the Forum, which all members in all capacities agree to abide by when they join this site:
Quote:
Corporate Insiders must Self Identify - new members who work for a company being discussed on the forum must adhere to our Corporate Insider rules.
Also from the Rules of the Forum:
Quote:
No Commercial posts and links are allowed - Commercial is anything that is not a personal website (i.e./ has a registered domain) or has any types of ads on it. If you are in doubt about what is okay and what is not then contact the moderator of the forum or the administrator prior to posting.
So, notsure, I think you are attacking us because you are not sure of the issues at hand. Everything needs to be above board, and moderators need to be scrupulous about avoiding conflicts of interest. If Dr.Sat is breaking those rules, he is accountable and needs to make things right.

post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 2014-06-26, 11:43 PM
Veteran

I thought Dr.Sat sponsoring the forum was what allowed him to advertise products he sells in the FTA forum.

Am I misunderstanding the relationship?
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 2014-06-27, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Quote:
A forum sponsor is being attacked by i) the previous owner of the site and ii) a current moderator.
Two things:

First, I am not a moderator of the forum. I gave that role up several years ago. I'm posting as member of this forum who finds this company, for a lack of a better expression, "less than forthcoming".

Second, read my posts and you will see that I am not "attacking" anyone.

Quote:
If you think this company is doing something illegal why not just report it to the proper authorities?
Read my posts. I never said AZBOX Canada was doing anything illegal.

I am simply highlighting the fact that AZBOX Canada does not have a phone number and claims to provide support on the Digital Home website yet, to my knowledge, an AZBOX Canada representative has never posted on this site and the company uses a rooming house as a corporate head office. I think most potential buyers might find this a possible reason for buyer an FTA receiver from a more well-known company.

Now according to the AZBOX site, Digital Home is now the home for AZBOX Canada support, so isn't this the place to post?

Posts on the other forum for support (and several FTA hacking forums) say some very unflattering things about AZBOX so I think my concerns are valid.

For the record, it is not illegal to sell FTA boxes, even if they can be reprogrammed for IKS.

Finally, let me be clear.

For years, I have warned people NOT to deal with companies that don't have phone numbers, valid business operating addresses and place inaccurate information on their websites (such as where to get support). I am simply doing the same here.

If AZBOX is a reputable company, then why not post on their website a valid phone number, a valid business address and why don't they have a representative supporting the product in the FTA forum as their website says?

As I said earlier, I initially believed that DrSat owned AZBOX Canada BUT Again AS I NOTED above, Serge says the companies have no cross ownership so perhaps an AZBOX Canada support person can clarify.

post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 2014-06-27, 12:20 AM
Veteran

history lesson....
The oriiginal Azbox STBs were designed, and marketed in Portugal, manufactured in Korea.
Sought after for years by enthusiasts since they supported 422 at a reasonable price.
The company in Portugal went out of business some time ago however. Apparently sold the Azbox Brand name in the process.

Don't know if whatever Azbox from Hong Kong you folks are referring to still does support 422 in newer products today
like the company from Portugal did?
A clue would be in the price I am thinkin...
No way you would find that capability for less than several hundred dollars for instance.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.

Last edited by majortom; 2014-06-27 at 02:15 AM. Reason: correction: mfr location
post #11 of 90 (permalink) Old 2014-06-27, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

If my subject seems to harsh then maybe the the mods might alter the subject of my thread from "AZBOX Canada: Is this company legit?" to something "AZBOX Canada: Are they reputable and how do you contact them and is Digital Home now the site for support"?

Quote:
The real Azbox was designed, manufactured and marketed in Portugal.
They went out of business some time ago. Apparently sold the name in the process.
So this isn't the real AZBOX? I'm confused.

post #12 of 90 (permalink) Old 2014-06-27, 12:37 AM
Veteran

The STB probably is for real. I do see the Az MiniMe, the only Azbox model still available from DrSat today,
indeed still specifies 422 support, as such looks like a fair price to me.

Without getting in to a soap opera....

A good analogy... when Hostess went out of business, they sold the name in doing so, and someone else still makes Twinkies today... Same thing... It's still a Twinkie, just may not taste exactly the same as they use to.

Either way I never ate Twinkies, nor owned any Azbox model so I really can't say one way or the other.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.

Last edited by majortom; 2014-06-27 at 07:50 AM. Reason: clarify capability
post #13 of 90 (permalink) Old 2014-06-27, 02:32 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

I also have not attacked anyone. My concern is to find out whether Dr.Sat has been forbidding posts/comments about the AZBOX device in question, which would be a very serious breach of moderator authority given that he is actively promoting the sales of the same product. Let's get that cleared up ASAP so that we can avoid any ethical problems.

post #14 of 90 (permalink) Old 2014-06-27, 05:35 AM
Veteran

Sounds like this is really something more for the moderators to discuss amongst themselves and Dr.Sat.

While I don't wander into the FTA forum, I certainly hope mods don't turn a blind eye to what a corporate sponsor does just because they contribute money to the site. Hopefully it's just a misunderstanding, but that really should be left to the mods IMO
post #15 of 90 (permalink) Old 2014-06-27, 07:42 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Two things:

First, I am not a moderator of the forum. I gave that role up several years ago. I'm posting as member of this forum who finds this company, for a lack of a better expression, "less than forthcoming".
Sorry for not being more clear, ii) was in reference to the actual moderator who commented in the thread. You had i) all to yourself.

Quote:
Second, read my posts and you will see that I am not "attacking" anyone.
Really? You called out someone by name while pointing out how you thought his company might be disreputable. That, to me, smells of attack.

Quote:
Read my posts. I never said AZBOX Canada was doing anything illegal.
Again, really?

Quote:
JorgeK, profits in the FTA industry have come primarily through Piracy and deceit. The bulk of FTA devices and dealers (note I said bulk and not all!) over the years have been fly by night and have left a lot of consumers with useless devices and a lot less money in their pocket.
Are piracy and deceit not illegal? In a thread where you only mention one company and one individual, the inference is clear.

If you aren't happy with the contents of a post and believe it may be contravening forum rules, wouldn't using the report button on a post be the correct way to deal with it?
Closed Thread

Tags
azbox , azbox canada , drsat , fta , pwrsurge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in