Defunct Cable Systems - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 70 (permalink) Old 2014-05-15, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I'm assuming Clearview Cable was purchased by AGI Cablevision of Alymer. AGI cablevision rebranded as Amtelecom sometime in the early 2000s and Amtelecom was eventually absorbed by Eastlink.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 70 (permalink) Old 2014-05-15, 11:33 AM

Pacific Place cable, which served the Concord Pacific developments in Yaletown. This was later merged into Novus:
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/1999/PB99-179.htm
post #33 of 70 (permalink) Old 2014-05-15, 12:01 PM
Rookie

Royal Oak Cablevision in Victoria. Shaw took over, possibly in 1995

post #34 of 70 (permalink) Old 2014-05-15, 03:12 PM

I had CableTV in Victoria in 1994/95 and it was Rogers at the time.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #35 of 70 (permalink) Old 2014-05-15, 04:40 PM

Sunshine Communications of Grand Forks, BC, was bought by Shaw in September 2006 (serving Grand Forks, Midway, Greenwood, Rock Creek and Christina Lake).

Kootenay Cable of Fernie, BC was bought by Shaw.

Interlake Cable was bought by Videon in 1997 (which was later bought by Shaw) (serving Ile-des-Chênes, Lorette, Niverville, Ste. Anne, St. Adolphe, St. Pierre, Steinbach, Beausejour, Selkirk, Stonewall and Teulon, Manitoba).

Valley Cable Vision was bought by MTS (Manitoba Telecom) in 2006 and is still run as a cable system, unlike the rest of MTS which is IPTV. It served Altona, Carman, Holland, Manitou, Miami, Morden, Morris, Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes, Plum Coulee, St. Claude, St. Jean Baptiste, Treherne and Winkler, Manitoba.
post #36 of 70 (permalink) Old 2014-05-15, 11:27 PM
s40

Oliver Cablevision became Personna and now is Eastlink. (Oliver BC in the Okanagan) I hope I have the names right.
post #37 of 70 (permalink) Old 2014-05-16, 08:25 AM

I thought there was another cable company in Kingston before Cablenet? I was pretty young so I might not be remembering correctly but I do remember the wired remote switch box we got when my parent ordered CableTV.

Also in the mid 90's I remember Maclean-HUnter's in Ottawa. At least I think that was what it was called. I do remember the city being split in 2,, Rogers in one half and Maclean-Hunter in the other
post #38 of 70 (permalink) Old 2014-05-16, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Your memory is correct. Maclean Hunter served West Ottawa and Rogers was East. Prior to the big BDU's taking over the Ottawa system, the west was served by Ottawa Cablevision and the East by Skyline. I believe Maclean Hunter bought Ottawa cablevision in 1989 and Rogers bought Skyline in either 1990 or 1991.
post #39 of 70 (permalink) Old 2014-05-16, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
Sunshine Communications of Grand Forks, BC,
I lived in Grand Forks in the early 80s. Sunshine Communications was the WORST run cable company I have ever experienced. This was still the time when a cable licence was almost a licence to print money and the operator couldn't even provide cable to an apartment building in the main part of town. So this was probably one of the rare situations where Shaw buying them out was a really good thing!
post #40 of 70 (permalink) Old 2014-05-16, 10:48 AM
Veteran

when I was a kid, I would visit my grandparents in Richmond hill, Ontario. They had Classicomm Cable as their Cable system, which I believe turned into Shaw cable, then Rogers cable through acquisitions. It was quite a while ago so my memory does not serve me that well. plus I was young and not really interested in who owned the cable company, I just wanted to watch my cartoons and know which channel they were on.
post #41 of 70 (permalink) Old 2014-05-16, 10:52 AM
Rookie

Niagara Co-axial in Stoney Creek, Ontario was bought by Rogers in about 1985.
post #42 of 70 (permalink) Old 2014-05-16, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Did Niagara Coaxial only service the lower part of Stoney Creek? I know the mountain portion of Stoney Creek was part of the Western Coaxial/Northgate Cable TV territory from the late 80s until it was sold of to Cogeco in 1999.
post #43 of 70 (permalink) Old 2014-05-16, 01:15 PM

Those in parts of BC and southwestern Alberta will remember Monarch Cable... bought out by Shaw back in the early 2000's I think.

I remember being in small rural Alberta towns that made their own cable systems. One town I was in had 6 channels... Showtime, HBO, USA, Much, First Choice and ESPN, mixed in with some local over the air channels from Calgary. I'm assuming they had 2 dishes pointed at Galaxy 1 and Anik 1 with Videocipher 2 boxes for the satellite channels. Oh the good old days! lol
post #44 of 70 (permalink) Old 2014-05-16, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankMoody View Post
Those in parts of BC and southwestern Alberta will remember Monarch Cable... bought out by Shaw back in the early 2000's I think.

I remember being in small rural Alberta towns that made their own cable systems. One town I was in had 6 channels... Showtime, HBO, USA, Much, First Choice and ESPN, mixed in with some local over the air channels from Calgary. I'm assuming they had 2 dishes pointed at Galaxy 1 and Anik 1 with Videocipher 2 boxes for the satellite channels. Oh the good old days! lol
Were those cable channels scrambled? Is it real Monarch had those channels?

Canadians should have the absolute right to watch channels from not only here, but also from the United States!
post #45 of 70 (permalink) Old 2014-05-16, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Lots of small towns had grey market channels back in the 80s and 90s but most of that went away when bigger companies took over. Monarch's main system was Medicine Hat Alberta and I'm pretty that system didn't have any grey market channels. I remember back in the early 2000s, Regional Cable took over the Kirkland Lake, ON system. Once they took over, they removed all of the grey market channels the town had been enjoying for years. They had channels like HBO, USA Network and TNT. They also converted the system to a digital only system. Probably the first digital-only system in Canada.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in