Corus TV streaming services - Global Go,etc. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-09-11, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Corus TV streaming services - Global Go,etc.

Launching on iOS, Android and Web, Global Go offers Live TV streaming anywhere, anytime plus access to the full season of Canadians' favourite TV shows

Global the First Canadian Conventional Broadcaster to Offer In-Season Episode Stacking

Shaw Media today announced that as of tomorrow, September 12, viewers will be able to watch their favourite Global shows anytime and anyplace with the launch of Global GO, providing TV subscribers with one of the most compelling TV Everywhere experiences in the country.

In addition to live streaming 24/7 - on smart phones, tablets and home computers anywhere in Canada, GlobaI Go will offer viewers the opportunity to catch-up on missed episodes with access to in-season libraries for key shows - a first for any Canadian conventional broadcaster.

"We're pleased to be the first conventional broadcaster in Canada to offer TV subscribers access to in-season catch up episodes of their favourite shows," said Paul Robertson, Group Vice President, Broadcasting, Shaw Communications Inc. and President, Shaw Media. "Canadians will love the flexibility and accessibility of Global Go and the platform provides new opportunities for our advertisers and distribution partners. It's a solid step forward in our TV everywhere offering and in the coming months we are looking forward to working with our partners to roll out more anyplace access to our premium brands."

With Global Go, TV subscribers will now have access to a long list of new features, including:
•Live TV - anytime/anywhere via web, iOS or Android platforms
•The opportunity to catch-up on entire seasons for up to 60 days after the finale versus the 2-3 episodes which are currently available for catch-up
•Full screen, high quality video playback
•Two week look-ahead schedule
•A beautiful, easy-to use interface including intuitive search and social integration features for sharing via Twitter and Facebook

Global Go launches September 12th initially with Shaw, Shaw Direct, Cogeco, Telus and Eastlink as well as for subscribers other distributors who are part of the Canadian Cable Systems Alliance, with other TV service providers to follow. This new Global content experience will also be available through these partners on their set-top box video on demand (VOD) and on-line portals, providing additional ways for consumers to access Global's popular shows by simply logging in with their cable or satellite subscription credentials.

Press Release.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-09-11, 11:54 AM

this sounds cool but if bothers me that shaw still has not made a movie central android app
but they are able to have one right away for this
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-09-11, 01:17 PM

Why do I need to be a cable subscriber to do this? The content is initially sent OTA for free.

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-09-11, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

smallmj, digital rights are separate from broadcast rights, although nowadays the broadcaster usually negotiates for broadcast, VOD rights and out-of-home rights.

Even though the original signal was broadcast OTA, the content is still protected by copyright and can't be redistributed without authorization.

The live redistribution rights are made available to Canadian BDUs at no charge, however I believe the VOD and sometimes the out-of-home rights are licensed to the BDUs separately and I think there is an extra charge to the BDU. That's why not all BDUs have licensed the VOD and out-of-home rights.

mike10 , movie central is owned by Corus.
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-09-11, 03:47 PM

This sounds pretty interesting, I can't wait to check it out tomorrow.
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-09-11, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallmj View Post
Why do I need to be a cable subscriber to do this? The content is initially sent OTA for free.
This is a model common more to the cable channels in the U.S. called "TV Everywhere"

Its their covenant for stopping people from dumping cable.
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-09-11, 08:46 PM

Sounds cool. Will be checking that out tomorrow.
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-09-12, 08:19 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallmj View Post
Because Global doesn't want to pay for you to use their servers & bandwidth without getting something out of it?
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-09-12, 09:52 AM
Veteran

Installed this app this morning on my iPhone. I really like it. I was able to watch live TV over 3G with no issues. The feed loaded really quick. So far I am really liking it. I hope some of the other networks allow his app in Canada.
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-09-12, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

jshel101, I haven't seen the app, but I believe it is propriety to Shaw Media. You may see them add some of their specialty networks (provided you subscribe to them).

Bell has their own app that they are rolling out gradually.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=172402
post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-09-12, 10:02 AM

All I can find at the moment is the app for Apple products (which I don't own) and Windows 8 (which I don't own), no Android or other Windows versions.

SONY XBR65X900F | MARANTZ NR-1605 | SONY PS4 | OPTIK 4K | www.torontotoffees.com
post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-09-12, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Torontoblue, the following link says:
Quote:
Android version available shortly
EDIT: The android app is now available.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2013-09-12 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Update
post #13 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-09-12, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Frequently Asked Questions

Is there a cost associated with the Global Go app?
The Global Go app is free to download.

Can I watch Global shows without signing in with a TV provider?
Yes. Most shows are available to stream without login for the first 7 days after broadcast.

Can I watch live TV?
Yes. If you log in with your television service providers credentials. Just tap on the "Live" icon and log in. You will then be presented your closest Global channel.

Can I download shows and store them on my device?
No. You can only stream content while connected to the Internet. There is no option to save or store content locally on the device.

Can I use the Global Go app outside of Canada?
You will not be able to watch video outside Canada on this device as the content is only licensed for audiences of Canada

Is the content within the app the same as on the Global website?
You can enjoy almost all the full episodes currently residing on GlobalTV.com. The few exceptions are determined by licensing agreements.

Does the Global Video app include advertisements?
The app includes video advertisements that may play before, during and after video playback.

Which devices does the Global Go app work on?
iPad, iPhone and iPod touch devices running iOS 5.X or newer, and Android with OS 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) or greater

Why am I hearing audio only with no video imagery?
In low connectivity areas the device transfers playback to an audio-only version of the show file. If you are on a 3G network, please try connecting to a stronger WiFi connection to resume video playback. If you are connected to a WiFi network but out of range, please reorient yourself to obtain a stronger connection.

Do I have to log in every time I open the app?
No. The login will be valid with a token that will last 30 days, and will reset for another 30 days every time you open the app. So, if you log in once and come back every week to catch up on your favourite shows, you will not need to log in again.

How many people in my household can log in at the same time on devices?
We currently limit the login at five per account.

What do the locks mean?
Locks represent content that is available only to signed in users. Once logged in, all locks will become play icons, and you will have access to the full season of broadcast content for your shows.

Where can I send feedback for the Global Go app?
There is a feedback option within the Info section of menu in the Global Go app.

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-2187

There is also help on how to use the app if you need it. It's nice to see that you can rewind and skip forward in the app (except live TV).
post #14 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-09-12, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

I took a look at the content and noticed that they have the full current season of Under the Dome and Rookie Blue already. It looks promising for the upcoming season.
post #15 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-09-12, 02:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
I took a look at the content and noticed that they have the full current season of Under the Dome and Rookie Blue already. It looks promising for the upcoming season.
I couldn't see the first couple episodes of Under the Done. Which I too bad since I haven't watched this show yet.

Tags
cogeco , corus , eastlink , global go , history go , shaw , telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in