Corus TV streaming services - Global Go,etc. - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 74 (permalink) Old 2014-05-30, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Global Go now available to Bell Fibe TV and Satellite customers

Global Go is now available to Bell Fibe TV and Bell Satellite TV customers on the Global Go app and web video player. Now with over nine million households on board, Global Go is available to 94 per cent of the Anglophone market in Canada.

Along with the opportunity to catch up on the latest full season of many Global programs including The Good Wife, Survivor and NCIS, summer's hottest programming will also be available on-the-go. From the continuation of last summer's smash hit Under The Dome to season five of fan-favourite Rookie Blue to the highly anticipated sci-fi drama Extant starring Halle Berry, Global Go's offering has something for everyone.

Global Go, available on iOS and Android devices, is available for customers of Shaw Cable, Shaw Direct, Bell Fibe TV, Bell Satellite TV, Rogers Communications, Cogeco Cable, TELUS Optik TV, Eastlink and Source Cable. Other TV service providers will follow in the coming months.

Global on-demand content is also available on Bell Fibe TV, Bell TV Online and through the Bell TV App.

Press Release.

I was expecting this, since yesterday Shaw announced that Shaw customers can access CTV GO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 74 (permalink) Old 2014-05-30, 08:35 PM
Veteran

94%? That's impressive. I guess Bell Aliant is a good chunk of the other 6%.
post #48 of 74 (permalink) Old 2014-11-20, 07:58 PM
Rookie

Global on demand internet restricted

I have looked back four or five pages of threads but don't see anything about this. Recently I missed a show on Global and thought that I would just go to their internet site and watch it there as I've done with CTV. Well, the Global site demanded that I sign in to see the actual program, using a log in valid with either a cable or satellite provider. I use an antenna - OTA - so I didn't have a provider log-in. Does anyone know of a way around this or anyway to contact Global to get a log-in for OTA users? Has anyone else complained about this?

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2014-11-21 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Moved to existing thread

post #49 of 74 (permalink) Old 2014-11-20, 09:46 PM

Global is owned by Shaw, whom, in partnership with Rogers, are launching the Shomi SVOD service. Much of the content Global presents is now on Shomi, exclusively online for Canada. Therefore I doubt the Global on demand service will exist much longer.

While Shomi is free for the first month, it's currently only available to Shaw and Rogers customers on a beta.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #50 of 74 (permalink) Old 2014-11-20, 10:17 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Global was restricted long before Shomi was announced. I tried watching a show quite a while ago. As I wasn't a Shaw customer, I couldn't access it.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #51 of 74 (permalink) Old 2014-11-20, 11:22 PM

^^^^ I realize that. My point is that the content rights of most Global shows have moved over to Shomi. So either the Global on demand service shuts down soon, or most shows that you want to see won't be there anyways.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #52 of 74 (permalink) Old 2014-11-21, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

horhota, most Global TV programs are available the day after broadcast for one week for free. After that, they are shown with a padlock and require a login from an authorized TV service provider. Only the current season is available through Global - the exact number of episodes depends on the show. See page 1 for more FAQs.

My understanding is that shomi only includes past seasons and doesn't include episodes from the current season.
post #53 of 74 (permalink) Old 2014-11-22, 12:10 PM
Eug
Veteran

Global Go vs. CTV Go

I am using the Global Go app reasonably regularly now. It mainly is because using my tablet in my bedroom or in my home office is sometimes a lot more convenient than having to go to my living room to sit in front of my TV. I can watch an episode in the background while I do paperwork in my home office for example. (My PVRs don't have whole-home functionality, and I currently don't have a TV located in a convenient spot in my home office anyway.) I have my Rogers account so I can go back several episodes' worth of my shows if necessary. The amount of commercials the app requires us to sit through to is also OK. I don't actually need my Rogers account though, since having a week to watch the latest show is usually good enough for me.

In contrast, I have no access to previous shows using the CTV Go app since Bell Media has no agreement with Rogers here. However, as I said, it's OK because I usually only need the last episode. Importantly though, the CTV Go app seems a bit more clunky, in that for my shows, the commercial breaks don't actually happen at commercial breaks, but several seconds before. So, for example a show may cut to commercial a few seconds before the ending, and then you have to wait for the commercials to end before you can watch the final few seconds of the show. Also, it disrupts the flow of the show. In addition, the CTV Go app forces us to watch more commercials than the Global Go app does.

The CTV Go app is even more clunky on Android. It's stupid but on my Nexus 7, when you access the CTV Go app, all the browsing is done in portrait mode. However, when you actually watch a show, it's all in landscape mode of course. So you can't just leave the tablet in a stand unless you like browsing sideways. On my iPad though, it switches everything to landscape as appropriate. Whomever approved this release of the Android version of the CTV Go app doesn't have very high standards for functionality.

Given the above, if I was choosing Rogers with Global Go vs. Bell with CTV Go, I'd pick the first one (TV content notwithstanding). However, I'd be fine with the apps without traditional TV service (like Rogers cable vs. Bell Fibe) since with the apps, traditional TV service is no longer mandatory for me. I just have it for my wife.
post #54 of 74 (permalink) Old 2016-11-11, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Corus Entertainment Launches History Vault on Apple Devices

Corus Entertainment announced the official launch of HISTORY VAULT, HISTORY’s direct-to-consumer subscription video on demand service. Now available in Canada on iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV, HISTORY VAULT features hundreds of hours of content within the HISTORY library, including series, documentaries, and specials, without commercial interruptions for CAD $5.49 a month.

From ancient civilizations to the World Wars, fans can explore history’s greatest stories with a free, seven day trial now to access hundreds of hours of video about the world’s most fascinating historical subjects. HISTORY VAULT will also roll out on Android in the coming months.
post #55 of 74 (permalink) Old 2016-11-11, 10:54 AM
Veteran

Talk about a niche service. This certainly won't be a Netflix killer. Archived video of one channel for $5.49 a month seems a little expensive. If Chorus included all current History programming or some of their other specialty channels it might be worth it.
post #56 of 74 (permalink) Old 2016-11-12, 08:44 AM
Veteran

Yeah, they don't seem to have gotten the memo on what the market is looking for on this one.
post #57 of 74 (permalink) Old 2017-12-19, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

GLOBAL TELEVISION GIVES THE GIFT OF CONNECTED VIEWING WITH NEW GLOBAL GO APP FOR APPLE TV

Global Television announced today that its Global Go app is now available for Apple TV. As the first connected app for Global, the easy-to-navigate interface of Global GO for Apple TV allows viewers to live stream the network’s full slate of original and acquired series, view full length episodes, clips and exclusives, as well as catch up on their favourite shows.

The new version of Global GO fully supports the Apple TV app and works continuously across iPhone, iPad and Apple TV, allowing users to stop watching a show partway through and later picking it up on a different device on demand. Additionally, users can ask Siri to find new episodes of their favourite Global series.

Global GO for Apple TV features include:
  • Easy-to-navigate interface allowing fans to effortlessly find the content they want
  • Immediate access to the Global Live Stream closest to their location (viewers use their cable provider username/password and visit globaltv.com/activate to access on Apple TV)
  • New content added daily
  • Catch up on programming on demand
  • Exclusive and ancillary clips, episodes and content from Global’s hit series
Users can download Global GO from the App Store on iPhone, iPad and Apple TV. Those with Apple’s Automatic Downloads feature enabled will automatically get Global GO for Apple TV with a software update to Global GO on iPhone or iPad. Global GO is available for Apple TV 4th generation and Apple TV 4K.
post #58 of 74 (permalink) Old 2018-04-25, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

The Global GO app has been updated to support Chromecast (both iOS and Android.)
post #59 of 74 (permalink) Old 2018-05-02, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Highlights from the official press release:

Ready to Cast: Global GO Now Available on Chromecast

Continuing to deliver its dynamic slate of content to audiences on the platforms of their choice, Global Television has now launched its Global GO app on Chromecast. As the first among Corus’s suite of apps to add Chromecast support for both live streaming (once authenticated) and on demand content, viewers can now “cast” programming to their connected TVs from any iOS or Android device.

Global GO allows viewers to live stream the network’s full slate of original and acquired series, view full length episodes, clips and exclusives, as well as catch up and binge on their favourite shows on demand.

Global GO supports all versions of Chromecast, including Chromecast built-in TVs. Users can simply tap the cast icon and select the Chromecast device within the Global GO app to start casting to their TVs. They will also be able to use their mobile devices as the remote – allowing for playback functionality and audio controls right on their device.

The Global GO app is also available on Apple TV via the App Store on iPhone, iPad and Apple TV. In addition to Global GO, Corus’ suite of multi-platform apps also includes Treehouse – one of the App Store’s Best of 2017 – as well as HISTORY GO, Disney Channel Canada, Disney Junior Canada, YTVGO, and NickGO.
Tridus and bobmac like this.
post #60 of 74 (permalink) Old 2018-05-05, 08:53 AM

I assume you still need a traditional BDU subscription rather than subscribe directly.

Tags
cogeco , corus , eastlink , global go , history go , shaw , telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in