Corus TV streaming services - Global Go,etc. - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-09-14, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techluvr View Post
I just loaded this app to my iPad. It looks very interesting, but I think there's still some bugs to be worked out. It rejects my log-in attempts with my Shaw Direct account number and password. It's still usable to view Global programs of the current episode that my stupid Motorola PVR failed to record. That's the way I used the previous version, and the only reason I would watch anything on an iPad rather than on a large screen display.

I notice that the vast majority of ratings on the App Store are negative. Many complain about why they need to be a Shaw subscriber to get whole seasons of shows -as if that once broadcast over-the-air, a program instantly becomes public domain, and the TV distributors have an obligation to provide it free on demand. {roll eyes}
I had the same problem with the app rejecting my Shaw Direct account number and password. I don't know why this works, but for some reason you can fix the issue by logging into your account on Shaw Direct's website and changing your password. I did that and the app worked right away with my account number and new password.

I'm not a big fan of watching things on my iPad either. Are you able to access Shaw Direct VOD? I use it a lot to keep up with Global programs on my large screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-09-14, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightheron View Post
I had the same problem with the app rejecting my Shaw Direct account number and password. I don't know why this works, but for some reason you can fix the issue by logging into your account on Shaw Direct's website and changing your password. I did that and the app worked right away with my account number and new password..
How 'bout that, it worked! Thanks. Too bad Shaw didn't think to put that in the instructions.

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of watching things on my iPad either. Are you able to access Shaw Direct VOD? I use it a lot to keep up with Global programs on my large screen.
I had tried it a while back, but had some problems with it. Maybe I'll give it another go.
post #33 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-09-15, 09:30 AM
Veteran

You (or those people that reviewed the app) need to realize that being broadcast on open airwaves does not make the content public domain, It still very much is copyrighted. I do know that for sure.

As for why only recent episodes, it could be a rights thing, probably that archived episodes are a different rate card, so Shaw has to withhold them for free customers, but can allow them with subscribed customers.

post #34 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-09-15, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightheron View Post
I'm not a big fan of watching things on my iPad either.
If you have an AppleTV, you could AirPlay it to the big screen if you want.
post #35 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-09-15, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
You (or those people that reviewed the app) need to realize that being broadcast on open airwaves does not make the content public domain, It still very much is copyrighted. I do know that for sure.

As for why only recent episodes, it could be a rights thing, probably that archived episodes are a different rate card, so Shaw has to withhold them for free customers, but can allow them with subscribed customers.
but....if something is broadcast OTA or via cable or satellite, we are allowed to view the program without restrictions (or so I thought). If I view on an iPad, for example, I don't know of a way to record that info. That being the case, why would there be concern about logging-in, since all the advertiser is interested is are the "views".
Is the problem that without logging in, there's no way for Nielsen to track the views?
I'd rather they just put the shows up online with ads inserted as opposed to them gathering our login info.
And if Shaw requires a new password to use a Global app....more data mining as far as I can tell.
But if someone can tell me this Global app wasn't re-engineered with the intent of mining our personal data, I'm all ears...it's a learning experience
post #36 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-09-15, 04:48 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phage View Post
If you have an AppleTV, you could AirPlay it to the big screen if you want.
They also sell a cable that lets the iPad output HDMI.
post #37 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-09-16, 12:08 AM
Rookie

Global doesn't want to pay for you to use their servers & bandwidth
post #38 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-09-16, 12:27 AM

who pays for their transmission towers?
post #39 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-12-19, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Customers of Rogers, Cogeco, and TELUS Can Now Access Global Go

Customers of Shaw Cable, Shaw Direct, Rogers, Cogeco Cable, TELUS Optik TV™, Eastlink and Source Cable can now login with their service provider subscription credentials to catch-up on missed episodes and gain exclusive access to in-season libraries for key Global shows. In addition to these catch-up features, users can also watch live TV on their iOS or Android device on Global Go’s easy-to-use interface and high-quality video player.

Other TV service providers will follow in the coming months.

Press Release.
post #40 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-12-20, 02:47 AM
Veteran

In light of this, why do we Shaw subs not have access to CTV Go?
post #41 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-12-20, 09:30 AM
Veteran

I really wish they'd make a single "Go" app that has all your channels in it. Going through each one individually is such a PITA that it's like going back in time.
post #42 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-12-20, 06:43 PM
Veteran

I completely agree Tridus. It is nonsense.

However, I am dreaming of the day where my phone will be cluttered with 48 apps (one for each channel Shaw will allow me to stream).

At this pace, it will take about 12 years, which is the real travesty in all of this.
post #43 of 74 (permalink) Old 2014-02-27, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

HISTORY Go

Today, Shaw Media launches HISTORY Go, one of the most robust TV everywhere experiences in the country. Available on iOS, Android, and the newly enhanced history.ca, HISTORY Go offers HISTORY subscribers almost 300 hours of fan-favourite programming. The app launches in time for season two of the hit series Vikings, which broadcasts Thursdays at 10pm ET/PT, beginning today, with each episode becoming available on HISTORY Go the day following its premiere broadcast.

With HISTORY Go, viewers across the country can access more HISTORY programming online and mobile than ever before. HISTORY subscribers can log-in to the app or history.ca to tap into an extensive collection of top-ranked HISTORY series or live-stream the channel straight from their device or computer.

The HISTORY Go library boasts over 20 HISTORY series available to watch anytime, anywhere, including:
  • The entire first season of last year's #1 specialty drama,Vikings. Season two episodes will be available the day following their premiere broadcast.
  • HISTORY's #1 Canadian unscripted series of 2013,Yukon Gold, both the full first season, and new episodes as they broadcast.
  • Full seasons of HISTORY's current top five shows, Ice Pilots NWT,Pawn Stars, The Curse of Oak Island, American Restoration, and Appalachian Outlaws.
HISTORY Go launches today with Shaw, Shaw Direct, Rogers, as well as several CCSA distributors. HISTORY Go will be available to TELUS Optik and Cogeco Cable Canada subscribers in March, with other TV service providers expected to follow. This is the second TV app offered by Shaw Media; the first, Global Go, is the most subscribed to conventional network TV Everywhere product in Canada.

Press Release.
post #44 of 74 (permalink) Old 2014-02-27, 01:15 PM
Veteran

Dr. Dave: Why not a new thread?

Just saw this today! Got curious and decided to check the ever-so-slowly growing list of apps.

History is one of my favourite channels. I downloaded the app. Very nice! And to my great surprise, LIVE streaming, which is the kicker!!!

For all the complaining I do about Shaw, I must say this is a nice surprise. I just hope CTV Go and and bunch more are on the way and soon!
post #45 of 74 (permalink) Old 2014-02-27, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerChip View Post
Dr. Dave: Why not a new thread?
I haven't tried the app, but I assumed it was just a clone of the Global Go app. I think Shaw Media will eventually clone the app for most of the channels they own as part of their TV Everywhere strategy, just as Bell Media is doing for their channels.

Tags
cogeco , corus , eastlink , global go , history go , shaw , telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in